Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Picked up new A192HW-Questions?

Finally got our new unit home, after waiting 5 months. Road salt all gone, but we still had rain and snow squalls there and back--7 hours on the road. Too bad dealer wasn't closer to us.

1. Water was found inside the unit upon inspection. It was suggested it just came off the roof when opening it after some showers. Also found water in right rear baggage compartment. When we viewed it back in October, dealer said the door must of been unlocked during transport. He assured me he would dry it off before winter storage and he would check the caulking. I was concerned of mould during storage. Well, we waited for sometime while they caulked everything on the roof. Had to wait for the skin to form on the caulking before we hit the road. Had to hang around for four hours, this included the inspection, etc. Now, time will tell if the problem has been solved.

2.The dead bolt on the entrance door won't latch. Tried adjusting the striker plate without results. I may have to take the plate off and file it to fit.

3. Had difficulty locking the latches after raising the roof. Not level?? Will check that out.

4. Tried the furnace and it heats up fine, but the cool cat fan operates at the same time just blowing cold air. Is this normal?

5. The radio/CD player sure isn't user friendly. I'm sure we need to just get some experience using it.

6. I need to replace some screws in the front trunk as they are badly rusted. Why do they use such cheap hardware on a multi thousand dollar product. We know, they can't afford the extra pennies.

Wow, I didn't realize I had so many complaints, but I still love the unit.

Has anyone else had any of these problems and how did you correct them? I'm trying to avoid that long ride back to the dealer.

I will say, the dealer was great to deal with. I had contacted him with a buyer for the Coleman TT that we traded in. (Now, that's a story for another day.) I asked if anything, such as a deal on a storage cover could be made. He said he didn't put a high markup on his products and normally doesn't give a discount. He asked what was I looking at and when I showed him, he just handed it to me, no charge. When I made the purchased in October, the add-a-room was no charge.

Thanks for taking your time in reading this, as it's a long one.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #2

can answer couple of questions .. especially the one about water ...
no water should be found in the camper at any time/anywhere .. this in not normal and should be addressed immediately ..
as for the other issues ...
cool cat does not operate on AC mode at temps below 50 F. or so
level it up properly, side to side, back to front, lower the stablizers, but do not torque down heavily ... this should solve your latching problems... as well as :
door latch can be part of the problem with torquing down the stabilizers too much .. .lighten up.

as for the rest ...

its all under warranty .. its now the time to use it

please follow up with your comments ...

welcome to the forum ..

d-mo

Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

A192HW

Hi Don
We have an A192HW on order. Please keep us posted on anything else you find or any great modifications you think of.
Thanks,
Joe in NH
Old 04-25-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

4. Tried the furnace and it heats up fine, but the cool cat fan operates at the same time just blowing cold air. Is this normal?

The cool cat has 3 fan settings: auto, lo and hi. If you set it on auto, it will not run with the furnace. If you set it on lo or hi, it will run with the furnace. You can change the setting using the thermostat...put the cool cat fan on and use the + or - button to scroll through the choices.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:35 AM   #5

I run my furnace with it on "auto". This setting allows the system to cycle the fan speed depending on the temperature difference of the "set point" and the actual room temperature (cycling on and off with the thermostat)

The furnace is amazingly efficient! You will especially enjoy it when it is not blowing cool air. Haha - I think we've all had that learning curve!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post

The cool cat has 3 fan settings: auto, lo and hi. If you set it on auto, it will not run with the furnace. If you set it on lo or hi, it will run with the furnace. You can change the setting using the thermostat...put the cool cat fan on and use the + or - button to scroll through the choices.
Thanks Vic, just went to the RV and made the adjustments. This forum sure gives a lot of info to us newbies.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #7

Roof locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Frame Don View Post
Finally got our new unit home, after waiting 5 months. Road salt all gone, but we still had rain and snow squalls there and back--7 hours on the road. Too bad dealer wasn't closer to us.

1. Water was found inside the unit upon inspection. It was suggested it just came off the roof when opening it after some showers. Also found water in right rear baggage compartment. When we viewed it back in October, dealer said the door must of been unlocked during transport. He assured me he would dry it off before winter storage and he would check the caulking. I was concerned of mould during storage. Well, we waited for sometime while they caulked everything on the roof. Had to wait for the skin to form on the caulking before we hit the road. Had to hang around for four hours, this included the inspection, etc. Now, time will tell if the problem has been solved.

2.The dead bolt on the entrance door won't latch. Tried adjusting the striker plate without results. I may have to take the plate off and file it to fit.

3. Had difficulty locking the latches after raising the roof. Not level?? Will check that out.

5. The radio/CD player sure isn't user friendly. I'm sure we need to just get some experience using it.

6. I need to replace some screws in the front trunk as they are badly rusted. Why do they use such cheap hardware on a multi thousand dollar product. We know, they can't afford the extra pennies.

Wow, I didn't realize I had so many complaints, but I still love the unit.

Has anyone else had any of these problems and how did you correct them? I'm trying to avoid that long ride back to the dealer.

I will say, the dealer was great to deal with. I had contacted him with a buyer for the Coleman TT that we traded in. (Now, that's a story for another day.) I asked if anything, such as a deal on a storage cover could be made. He said he didn't put a high markup on his products and normally doesn't give a discount. He asked what was I looking at and when I showed him, he just handed it to me, no charge. When I made the purchased in October, the add-a-room was no charge.

Thanks for taking your time in reading this, as it's a long one.
I have the same unit with the same issue. Ur best bet is to slightly raise the roof panel just enough to get it to latch. My leak was attributed to bad caulk around large skylite
Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #8

Thoughts on radio/cd operation and tongue weight

The radio is problematic. Be sure to carry at least one CD along. There have been times when I could not turn on the radio, but if I inserted a CD then the CD would play and from there I could switch to radio if I wanted. Also, may not have been in your packet, but in default mode the outside speaker is on. That is not good if you want to have the radio on in the late evening hours. To turn off the outside speaker, you will need to press the volume knob. That should put you in function mode. Then turn the knob until you can select "Audio Control" or something similar. You select by pressing the knob again. Now scroll until you get to "Balance" and select. Now turn the knob until you get to the lowest possible setting on left speaker. That will turn down down the volume on the outside speaker so that no sound is heard.

Also, be aware that the tongue weight is higher than you may expect particularly if you have two propane tanks on the front. I, too, have a 2015 A192HW A frame and with a normal load in the front bin, i.e. less than what the label says you should have in the front bin, my tongue weight was 470lbs. I installed an Equalizer E2 Weight Distribution System and the trailer pulls like a charm, being completely level, van and trailer.

We love our camper. Last summer we went on a 5700 mile road trip from Florida to Minnesota, followed north shore of Lake Superior from Duluth to Sault St Marie and down through Michigan and back to Florida. Did a number of one-night stands. With the A frame, we did not have to disconnect from the van - just attached front wheel, lowered stablizers and walk -in. That meant in the mornings after breakfast, we could be fully packed and ready to roll in 20 minutes. Sure beats dealing with canvas and pulling out beds as we did for so many years with our other popup campers. Have fun. It is a great camper.

Macjack39
Old 04-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

These a frames are the best thing since sliced bread😀
Old 04-25-2015, 07:37 PM   #10

"Why do they use such cheap hardware on a multi thousand dollar product."

This is for better or worse the world of rv's. They are all a compromise of weight, quality and cost. Less expensive rv's like our a frames tend to focus heavily on cost savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote