Old 07-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Playing FAILSAFE

OK, bought a new 2018 T12RBST. First camper ever owned. Got on blogs and read about all the issues. Also, camped with it once and noticed a bunch of design inconveniences. Would like the investment to last us at least five years, trouble free, and convenient......... Also have Sept. month-long trip out west already planned and reservations made....... so, I've made the following changes/adjustments:
1) cut the mattress in half so it would stack to the back and be out of the way of the storage area. 2) caulked and tarred the whole underside. (bottom is exposed particleboard underlayment with plywood shims where the frame was welded irregularly) 3) Added externabond around all skylights and fan housing. (Already discovered open gap in top middle of large rear skylight) 4) Painted all inside bare plywood on top of bed and seats. Organized front storage space with hangers, etc and added tools, hoses, adaptors, extension cord, etc....
Yet to do: 1) Put shut off on battery. 2) Add solar. 3) Caulk all external doors, cut throughs, etc with Quad OSI. 4)Add screen under A/C vent, etc. 5) Replace existing table legs with wall brackes and one fold-up legs to accommodate porta-potty sliding under tablespace. 6) Add wire shelf over sink, accross in front of window (as per observed in these blogs -Thanks!)
So.......what am I missing?

nautipelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautipelican View Post
OK, bought a new 2018 T12RBST. First camper ever owned. Got on blogs and read about all the issues. Also, camped with it once and noticed a bunch of design inconveniences. Would like the investment to last us at least five years, trouble free, and convenient......... Also have Sept. month-long trip out west already planned and reservations made....... so, I've made the following changes/adjustments:
1) cut the mattress in half so it would stack to the back and be out of the way of the storage area. 2) caulked and tarred the whole underside. (bottom is exposed particleboard underlayment with plywood shims where the frame was welded irregularly) 3) Added externabond around all skylights and fan housing. (Already discovered open gap in top middle of large rear skylight) 4) Painted all inside bare plywood on top of bed and seats. Organized front storage space with hangers, etc and added tools, hoses, adaptors, extension cord, etc....
Yet to do: 1) Put shut off on battery. 2) Add solar. 3) Caulk all external doors, cut throughs, etc with Quad OSI. 4)Add screen under A/C vent, etc. 5) Replace existing table legs with wall brackes and one fold-up legs to accommodate porta-potty sliding under tablespace. 6) Add wire shelf over sink, accross in front of window (as per observed in these blogs -Thanks!)
Missing ? only you will figure that one out. Seems like every time we go out I think of something I could do or could've done. Never got one exactly the way we wanted it before selling it, but you sound like you've done a great job so far. It's like a rolling..."Work in Progess" some times.

TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #3

Looks like you were made for this camper -

and, you can slide a porta potty in and out of the storage compartment
door on the right of the main camper door.

A small Thetford will work, depending on your scenario spacing, although
you may need to enlarge the vertical opening height by about 1/2".

Happy camping!
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Depends on how you camp and what your priorities are.

Had dealer replace electric tongue jack with heavy duty manual model. Installed Equalizer E2 600/6000 WDH.

We store our A-frame in the garage, so your caulking and Eternabond have not been needed yet.

We haven't done anything with the table, using it as is. Same with the cassette potty.

Installed 2 GC-2 batteries, installed battery shutoff, voltmeter. Replaced WFCO converter/panel with PI equivalent. Installed power shutoff on stereo.

Insulated external areas of fridge box, installed pipe for fridge exhaust to direct fridge exhaust to vent, added Reflectix to reduce free volume in fridge cooling compartment. Still need to fix/replace baffle and replace fridge fan.

Added foam toppers to twin beds.

Moved one Cool Cat to duct to forward end of bunk instead of discharging into aisle. Moved pump switch to accommodate.

In the future, want to replace electric roof lift with gas struts, like the dormer has.

Pulled wheels, had tires balanced, checked brakes, cleaned and hand packed bearings.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

I changed the tires that came with the camper to Carlisle tires pretty quickly, I did not want to take the risk of sitting at the side of the road.

Make sure you have a lug wrench that works on the spare as well.
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Where did you get the information that it was OK to coat the underside of the camper? Its OSB not particle board on my A213HW. I saw that the oriented strand board (OSB) was completely uncoated and was thinking of doing the same as you. I then saw a thread or two where folks were saying the factory said not to undercoat it since it needed to "dry out" if it gets wet. I still think it's hard to imagine painting it or putting a coating on it would make it worse. What was the exact product you used for the "tar"? Was it spray on or brush? Thanks.

A quick google says this on OSB: (probably the sales pitch...)
Every single fiber or piece of wood in an OSB is saturated with a cocktail of resins designed to provide superior strength and waterproofing to the finished product. ... This type of board is an excellent material for use in waterproofing systems, be they roof, sub-floor or wall.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #7

I have a hard time thinking that the OSB is going to hold up any better than particleboard. Before this last weekend, I noticed that a mushroom was growing out of the OSB at the left rear corner. This was 2 weeks after driving thru a "frog chocker" rain storm in Georgia. I checked the "wood" and you could see discoloration of the OSB starting. Coming home today we drove thru another "gully washer", and when we got home felt the OSB again and it's starting to feel soft and starting to "flake" off in my hand. I'm feeling like this OSB NEEDS to be coated, after it has thoroughly dried out. Now the only question is what's the best coating material to use. I worked in the marine industry for 25+ years AND NEVER did any of the boat manufactures use OSB in the construction of their products. They ALWAYS used marine grade plywood that was then sealed in fiberglass and resin and on occasion the marine grade plywood still rotted out.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

OK - I stand corrected, it is OSB. But what is OSB - In my opinion, (Being a 30yr home builder) its a glorified version of particleboard - It has bigger pieces of wood and supposedly "waterproof" glue. It is uniform, and has the strength of plywood IF it stays dry. If you go to Lowes and look you'll see that there is a stamp stating which side to put up. Thats because that side has been sprayed with a water retardant to last through a couple of rains before the house gets dried in. That is the side that is exposed and the bottom of our AFrames.
Obviously over 30 years, I have fought the weather on a few homes. One I distintley remember because the rains came after we had the walls put up. It locked the water inside on the floors (3/4" T&G OSB) Had to go out every day and squeegie the water out the door openings - plus some more openings made just to release the water. Well, we had about a week of rain - then another week before the floor dried out any at all. Long story short, the 3/4 osb measured 1" after all was said and done.....and it stayed that way. Maybe the glue is waterproof(?), but the wood chips sure arn't. I also had to do repairs on bath floors where there was a constant leak and the OSB had pushed up the vinyl and just crumbled in your hands.
My main concern is that I may be locking IN the moisture if it gets into the camper from above...........but I also had some mushrooms hanging from my bottom, back right side - enough to get me to do SOMETHING.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #9

According to the APA:

Exposure 1 panels may be used
for applications where construction delays may be
expected prior to providing protection or where exposure to
the outdoors is on the underside only. Panels with exterior
bond classification indicate the glue bond is suitable for
applications subject to long-term exposure to weather or
moisture.

The warranty papers that came with my trailer specifically state "Exposure 1" OSB panels and do NOT address whether coating it voids any warranty so I assume it wouldn't. My thought, and intent, is to coat mine with flexseal or a similar product and hope for the best because it seems prudent to treat it and check it/fix it occasionally rather than do nothing and have the floor fail. Seems like good insurance to me and could prevent the "mushroom" problem.
TrailerTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerTexan View Post
According to the APA:

Exposure 1 panels may be used
for applications where construction delays may be
expected prior to providing protection or where exposure to
the outdoors is on the underside only. Panels with exterior
bond classification indicate the glue bond is suitable for
applications subject to long-term exposure to weather or
moisture.

The warranty papers that came with my trailer specifically state "Exposure 1" OSB panels and do NOT address whether coating it voids any warranty so I assume it wouldn't. My thought, and intent, is to coat mine with flexseal or a similar product and hope for the best because it seems prudent to treat it and check it/fix it occasionally rather than do nothing and have the floor fail. Seems like good insurance to me and could prevent the "mushroom" problem.
WOW! I googled "Exposure 1 OSB" and it said specifically that it has exterior glue, but it is "NOT SUITABLE for long term exposure to weather".
I rolled on "Black Jack roof & Foundation coating" from Lowes after sealing all the frame/floor joints with a rubberized caulk .....than also applied the clear OSI Quad around all door frames and base and corner mouldings.....