Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

portable toilet flush or liner?

Our A Frame has no toilet, I'm looking for opinions/recommendations on portable toilets. The reliance hassock looks OK? I've read complaints about emptying the flush ones. Does anyone use a separate tent for it?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #2

We got a cassette toilet with our camper, but don't relish the idea of using it since we rarely camp anywhere remote enough to not have at least a vault toilet. There are varying options for this sort of thing, ranging from ye olde deer blind option to fairly expensive composting or cassette toilets. Either way, privacy and/or odor can be an issue inside the camper. There are small privacy tents available for this sort of thing if you check your favorite outdoor outfitters store and search for privacy tent or something similar. Take a look at the Cleanwaste Go Anywhere portable toilet/tent combo for example...

- Randy
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #3

I do a lot of primitive camp at Renfaire I use a small shower tent set up behind the camper I cut a hole in the side so I can just reach through to use the outside shower in the evening. I have a liner toilet I use inside the shower tent. Since most faires don't have a dump station this is much easier for me to use. With gel packs there is little to no odor in the shower tent and the tent fits easy in the camper storage areas.
RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Retread Popup Owner

We stepped down from a hybrid travel trailer, which had a full bathroom. The convenience of having a toilet for middle-of-the-night calls of nature was something we weren't giving up.

I didn't care much at all for the cassette potty that came with the camper. We had good experience with a Thetford cassette potty with one of our old popups, so I bought one at Cabela's. I picked up the tallest one they had that would still slide under the rear bed, so it could be stowed easily in the daytime. During the day we use the campground's facilities.

We have a camper-potty motto in our family that we stick to. "Everybody sits, and nobody $h*%$."

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

Go with Thetford or don't go.

Wojo has it right. Get the tallest one you can stow.

As a solo male camper, I just keep a few wide neck water bottles in my camper. They go with me when I brush my teeth at the bath house in the morning.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #6

We use the Clean Waste dry disposal system as well their privacy tent. Easy to set up, easy use, easy disposal. The porti potty the trailer came with is still in its box.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #7

wood pellets

I was just thinking wood pellets would be a low cost all natural way to absorb the liquid. They basically turn to sawdust when wet. A person can buy kitchen can liners and zip lock bags anywhere. All I need now is a low cost natural odour control, any ideas?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #8

Maybe consider using clumping cat litter instead?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Triumph View Post
I was just thinking wood pellets would be a low cost all natural way to absorb the liquid. They basically turn to sawdust when wet. A person can buy kitchen can liners and zip lock bags anywhere. All I need now is a low cost natural odour control, any ideas?
Human waste is about as "all natural" as it gets. There is nothing unnatural about using the appropriate chemicals when dealing with human fecal waste. Use something specifically designed to control the activity of and kill the unpleasant and dangerous bacteria contained in the waste. The placement of smelly, ill-treated waste containers into campground dumpsters is rude and also a bio-hazard. So before anyone uses a home-made treatment at a campground, try it at home and leave it in an outside trash can for a week in the summer to see if it is something you would be comfortable with being exposed to by others.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #10

Ever camp with young children and disposable diapers??
tommytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytraveler View Post
Yes we have. We used these for diapers (everywhere, not just camping) and for 'picking up' after the dogs.

Arm & Hammerâ„¢ Diaper Bag Refills - 72 Bags - Diapering Accessories - Diapering & Potty Training - Products
Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytraveler View Post
Yes. That is one example of a solution that is designed for the purpose. Assuming the parent bundles them properly when disposing. I've also seen loose dirty diapers in campground dumpsters. It is smelly, fly attracting and disgusting.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 03-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #13

There are products sold that are not chemicals but biodegradable not cheap but we use them at night
Jsusluvsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #14

We started boating (cruising overnight) with 2 babies and we carried the diaper genie and it was very good. When we moved to rving it was very practical in the motorhome. Diapers are secured and no smell at all. (and this was 7 years ago)
You can use it for tp, wipes and the toilet bags.
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #15

We use a thetford porta pottie if the CG does not have modern facilities or the facilities are too far for wife to trek at night. I'm not sure I would ever choose a vault toilet over a modern porta pottie. There's virtually no odor, mess or fuss with these thetford units... We do have a cabinet just beside the doorway inside the A frame for the thetford, but if conditions warrant it, we have a practically self-setting shower tent to use for the toilet as well.

Despite the nostalgia factor, I don't find charm in open pit toilets of any type. And I've never encountered one I would call either odorless or sanitary when compared to a modern appliance I know the full history of.

When we tented we had no choice but to use the pit facilities, but it's a tremendous upgrade to have your own appliance for that purpose. 99.9% if the time it's for her and it's for #1... There are usually opportunities to find a suitable modern spot for #2 as we do not currently do any long term boondocking away from all civilization as yet.

The thetford, based on our experience, does not develop odor over several days and is easy and clean to dump at a dump station or even back at home if needed.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #16

I downsized from a Hybird camper with full bathroom to my A-frame with cassette toilet. Very happy with the trade. The cassette toilet is very easy to maintain compared to the black water tank on the hybird.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsusluvsyou View Post
There are products sold that are not chemicals but biodegradable not cheap but we use them at night
Biodegrade or not they are still chemicals.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #18

I have Cleanwaste GO Anywhere portable Toilet . This is literally a complete portable toilet system. Not only does it include a portable toilet but it also includes a privacy shelter. The whole toilet including the shelter neatly packs up into the supplied backpack for easy storage and transportation. also Clean Waste dry disposal system is a great solution .
Talisca Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote