Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #1

Pre departure check list

We are new to the a frame world and just purchased a new 2015 t12rbst. We have a running check list for our camper. What are some things that are necessities that you may have forgotten the first time around that you made a note to always bring for future trips??
Chels14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
H2oski

Oh, you need Herks, 50 page checklist

I'll try to find it and post the link.

Check out post #8 in the following link.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ist-43206.html

Oh ya WELCOME you have came to a great place.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Chels14 welcome to the group from Huntsville AL!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the info!!! Very helpful!!!
Chels14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

Since our reason for purchasing an A-frame camper was to get out and see Colorado on weekend trips, we have pre-packed our camper (Rockwood A122) with everything but food and clothing. It sits in the garage, almost ready to go.

Night before, reconnect batteries, hook up AC power, turn on fridge, gas minivan. I will be adding a disconnect to make this easier, and allow choosing to operate the dual size 24 batteries in parallel (normal case) or singly. Transfer milk, juice to 2qt plastic containers for trip and refridgerate.

Early morning - check tire pressures (tow vehicle tires are cold), pack 2 small ice chests with food and drink, clothes, and put in van. Add folding chairs and EZ up for picnic table (case has stakes, tied downs, mallet). Switch fridge to DC, stow power cord, manually pull out from garage (due to narrow clearances on door), hook up, stow chocks and tongue jack wheel, go.

At campsite (assumes no hookups), switch off DC fridge first (want batteries full before disconnecting). Level side-to-side with the famous orange plastic blocks (I have a level glued on front of camper which is calibrated in inches, so I know how many blocks I need). Disconnect, level front-to-back, pop up camper, turn on gas at tank, start fridge on LP (sometimes difficult at high altitude). Turn on desired appliances in camper (water pump, hot water, furnace). Setup campsite (EZ up, cook stove, lantern, chairs). Transfer food, drink to camper fridge as desired.

Keep running list of things we should have brought, but didn't.

Return home. Unpack van, popup camper in driveway. Clean out fridge, top off (or drain) water tank and hot water heater. Review camper for items never used, or didn't work for replacement/removal. Review additions list to be sure we want to add those items. Replenish any consumables running low (paper products, plastic silverware). Put back in garage, with work list before next camping trip.

I keep a small tool set with only tools I actually use - short flat blade screwdriver to open fridge access panels, multi-meter, water filter wrench, wrench for battery terminals, Phillips #2 screwdriver for interior panels and exterior screws, 24" carpenter's level for fore-and-aft, lug nut cross, factory wrench for stabilizers. I also have spare stove lighters, matches, spare disposable propane tanks for camp stove and lantern, 12 gauge extension cord, leveling blocks, several LED flashlights, battery flourescent lantern (we like it inside the camper compared to the bright LED lights), LED reading light.

We have a frying pan (with cover), a pot (with cover), a cutting board, and a few cooking utensils (spatula, spoons, fork, knives). Use primarily paper plates and plastic silver, but have 2 plates, bowls, cups in case. Paper towels, cloth towels, 2 dish washing pans, dish drying rack (collapsible), scrubber, dish soap. A couple of books that we are reading during camping rounds out the stuff in the camper.

Will mod the external shower to easily access hot water for dish washing (done at picnic table, along with cooking).

The whole idea is to keep things as simple as possible because of our 2-4 day trips. I am sure I have missed a few things, but that's pretty close.

How you camp, how long your trips are, and what you do when you are there make a big difference. We had a specific goal in mind - now that the last child is going off to college this fall, we wanted to spend weekends that were previously devoted to kid activities (sports, etc) exploring Colorado. We try to go at least one weekend a month. Different goals call for different approaches and equipment.

Fred W
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
2014 Rockwood A122
Equalizer WDH
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

Great plan, Fred.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Not sure what problem you are having starting the fridge on LP, One of the thing that our Denver dealer told us was to give two quick pump on the igniter as the first pop the gas and puts out the flame ( or does not light it ) and the second quick pump there is not so much gas ( or the right amount ) and the pilot will light.

I like your list.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Not sure what problem you are having starting the fridge on LP, One of the thing that our Denver dealer told us was to give two quick pump on the igniter as the first pop the gas and puts out the flame ( or does not light it ) and the second quick pump there is not so much gas ( or the right amount ) and the pilot will light.

I like your list.
Thanks for the hint. The first pump on the igniter does indeed blow out the flame with an audible "pop" of the flame. I had been waiting 10 seconds (or minutes) before hitting the igniter again, with the same results. Wish I could I get a better visual on whether the burner is lit or not in the bright sun.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

I have given up trying to see the flame. I just hit the igniter a third time about 10 seconds after the 2nd and if I do not hear a pop I say it must have lit and check about 10 min later to feel if the top vent is warm.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #10

I normally do the two click method when lighting. The first time I hear the "whoosh." Then I keep the button down for a few seconds, as is needed anyway, and press again. If there is no "whoosh," then the flame is lit.

One way to check the flame right away. Take a stick lighter and get the gas flowing without it being lit. Then push the end into the small view port on the fridge. If the fridge is lit, the lighter will then also light.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote