Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Propane Hose replacement

I need to relocate my propane tanks a few inches forward. There are a couple reasons for this.

1) The vinyl stock cover hasn't fared too well and needs replacement because it rubs up against the retaining bracket for my W/D hitch, so it's just been shredded. This also causes the retaining brackets to, IMHO, put too much pressure on the tank itself and 2) if I'm going to replace it, I might as well get one of those hard plastic covers that will last a little longer and look nicer.

Unfortunately, the stock hose is too short (looks to be maybe 30 inches or so) to handle the increased distance AND the need to run vertically under the cover's side, so I'd guess I need to get one that is about 42 inches to account for both moving the tanks a few inches, and making sure it's long enough to come in to the new cover from the bottom. I'm guessing that non-custom lines probably come in 5' lengths, which I can work with.

Anyone know what type of hose I might need to get?

I see the following on Amazon, and I'm guessing one of these is the proper replacement/extension:

Amazon.com: Camco 59883 5' Propane Appliance Extension Hose - 1/4" Male NPT x 1/4" Female NPT: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 59045 5' Propane Extension Hose: Automotive

(I don't want to call my dealership - they frankly treat customers like crap and give condescending answers to any inquiry - they only stay in business because they are the only game in town)

Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #2

Watch out for the tongue jack when you move the tanks. In the stock position,the jack handle scrapes the hard plastic cover I installed. You might look into moving them back and putting the battery in the forward position as an alternative.

While not necessary, when I needed to mod the propane setup on my previous camper, I went to a propane shop. They were very patient, checked my assumptions about the work, made the appropriate hoses, and gave me installation advice. I took the parts home and made the mods myself. The guy seemed genuinely happy to be able to use his skills to solve an unusual problem.

My MO is generally to turn to pros and ask them questions while they help me until I am comfortable enough to continue on my own. YMMV.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

I have an electric jack, for what it's worth, so I'm not concerned about the cranking handle. If I ever had to resort to manual cranking on it, and the tanks were in the way, I could take them off.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
I have an electric jack....
That solves that then.

I have an "electric jack" when I remember to bring my drill. I've considered replacing mine with a real electric jack, just to make things a bit less fussy.

Keep calm and mod on.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, replacement