Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Hi, Laura June

I'm puzzled too about how the tank could have worked loose. It occurs to me there may be more than one style of tank rack on these units, so just to clarify the discussion here are photos of the kind of tank rack my 2011 model came with. I think its the kind Dunnnc was referring to, also. Is yours like it or different?
Not sure if this helps, but after looking your photos, I remembered what the FR rep had the place that was doing some warranty work for us do in this area. The rep looked at our propane installation and had the repair facility cut 4 "V" shaped notches ( 4 total) in the hold down bar that goes across the top of the two tanks. He said that the factory didn't always do this, but they are supposed to.

Something to think about doing as it gives a more positive "bite" to the tanks for keeping them from bounceing around in transit by allowing the bar to fit more closely to the retainers on the tank tops.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Mostly Harmless

My crossbar does have the 4 notches. I'll bet Laura June's does too. My money is on the solution dunnnc pointed out, that the threaded vertical rod isn't screwed far enough into the baseplate, with the result that there's not enough threaded area at the top to allow the wing nut to be tightened down as far as necessary. Guess we'll have to see what Laura June says.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
B47

Quote:
My crossbar does have the 4 notches. I'll bet Laura June's does too. My money is on the solution dunnnc pointed out, that the threaded vertical rod isn't screwed far enough into the baseplate, with the result that there's not enough threaded area at the top to allow the wing nut to be tightened down as far as necessary. Guess we'll have to see what Laura June says.
You could be right. What ever happened to the practice of tightening something down until it can't be tightened anymore and then giving it one more turn?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
Another rat in the race

Quote:
My money is on the solution dunnnc pointed out, that the threaded vertical rod isn't screwed far enough into the baseplate, with the result that there's not enough threaded area at the top to allow the wing nut to be tightened down as far as necessary.
Well you learn something new everyday. I though all dual tank screw down systems had a completely threaded rod. If memory serves all 3 RVs I have had did, including this one.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
You could be right. What ever happened to the practice of tightening something down until it can't be tightened anymore and then giving it one more turn?
cheap metal

but I'm in your camp I'll try it at least once