Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

propane tank problem

Just got back from a beautiful weekend with the A122. Everything went very well, we got a lot of good comments about the camper. Our only problem was with the propane tank. The road we took had a couple of rough spots in it. Both coming and going one of the tanks jumped out of the carrier, and was hanging crooked in the clamps. The clamps were tight, it was almost impossible for the tank to come loose. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do about it?
Thanks
Laura June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Flagstaff 22FBS

Glad you had a nice weekend and enjoyed your A122. We are looking forward to getting out there for a few days too!

All I can say about the tanks coming loose is that must have been a pretty rough road. My advise would be for the driver to slow down on rough road conditions like you encountered. The suspension on trailers aren't made the way that automobiles are. It gets pretty violent in the trailer just going down the interstate.

A little more advise is to be sure to check the air pressure in your tires. Rough roads, or pot holes like that, can cause the tires to leak a little air with each bump. Also, check the lug nuts. If the propane tank bounced off the mount, after the clamp was tight, other things could have shook loose too. Think about what a shame it would be if those hits would have bent your nice rims or worse.

This isn't meant to come off harsh, I hope you don't take my post the wrong way. You asked a question and got no response. I am sincerely just offering some advise.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
Just got back from a beautiful weekend with the A122. Everything went very well, we got a lot of good comments about the camper. Our only problem was with the propane tank. The road we took had a couple of rough spots in it. Both coming and going one of the tanks jumped out of the carrier, and was hanging crooked in the clamps. The clamps were tight, it was almost impossible for the tank to come loose. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you do about it?
Thanks
I replaced the self drilling screws that were used to screw down the bottle's holding bracket legs on my Flagstaff 205A with a stainless steel nylon locknut and bolt. You could consider using and additional ratchet tie down strap under adverse conditions as well as a measure of further security.
goody59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

If the wing nut was tight, which you say it was, I would say the wing nut must have been bottomed out on the treaded portion of the rod as if the wing nut were tight on the clamp, it is impossible to get a tank out of the carrier. The carrier has a 5/8" - 3/4" lip 180° around the tank itself. I would suggest loosening the threaded rod at the bottom and adjusting it down far enough so there is at least 2" of thread below the wing nut when it is tightened against the serrated bar going across both tanks.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Hi, Laura June

I'm puzzled too about how the tank could have worked loose. It occurs to me there may be more than one style of tank rack on these units, so just to clarify the discussion here are photos of the kind of tank rack my 2011 model came with. I think its the kind Dunnnc was referring to, also. Is yours like it or different?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2765295959.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	14839   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3275932635.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	14840   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2990348227.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	14841  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Another rat in the race

My tanks on my old Jayco 10' pop up use to work there way loose so I put "purple" lock tight on the threaded rod at the bottom and drilled a hole through the large wing nut and cross bar then put a pin in so it wouldn't turn. After coming back to our trailer in storage with empty tanks (that were not ours) I put a pad lock through the hole.

It doesn't take very much vibration for the wing nut to turn a little.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
Hi, Laura June

I'm puzzled too about how the tank could have worked loose. It occurs to me there may be more than one style of tank rack on these units, so just to clarify the discussion here are photos of the kind of tank rack my 2011 model came with. I think its the kind Dunnnc was referring to, also. Is yours like it or different?
Those are the kind I was refering to. I put an 1/8" rubber pad under both tanks and screwed the rod down to where there was 1"-2" of thread under the cross bar and put a lock nut on bottom and top of the tray itself and flattened the wing nut a little so I could tighten it a lot more. Towed over some pretty rough roads in the last 36+ yrs and never had a tank jump out of the holders.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
After coming back to our trailer in storage with empty tanks (that were not ours) I put a pad lock through the hole.
Well, mighty gracious of 'em... leaving their empties (after swiping your tanks) Sheesh!

Anyhoo, that's a good idea, for locking propane tanks on your camper, when stored away from home.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Well, mighty gracious of 'em... leaving their empties (after swiping your tanks) Sheesh!
Well they were smart enough to know someone would notice an empty tank cover. I wish I would have noticed the swap before the 3 hour drive and 35 degree night in a tent trailer

lesson learned: check tanks before leaving.

for the record mine never came off just the wing nut loosened
Old 06-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Mostly Harmless

I'm glad I read this thread. I can see I've not been as careful as I should be about security of my tanks. The rubber pad, the lock nuts, and the padlock are all going to appear soon on a camper near me. Thanks people!
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
B47

Quote:
Hi, Laura June

Not sure if this helps, but after looking your photos, I remembered what the FR rep had the place that was doing some warranty work for us do in this area. The rep looked at our propane installation and had the repair facility cut 4 "V" shaped notches ( 4 total) in the hold down bar that goes across the top of the two tanks. He said that the factory didn't always do this, but they are supposed to.

Something to think about doing as it gives a more positive "bite" to the tanks for keeping them from bounceing around in transit by allowing the bar to fit more closely to the retainers on the tank tops.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Mostly Harmless

My crossbar does have the 4 notches. I'll bet Laura June's does too. My money is on the solution dunnnc pointed out, that the threaded vertical rod isn't screwed far enough into the baseplate, with the result that there's not enough threaded area at the top to allow the wing nut to be tightened down as far as necessary. Guess we'll have to see what Laura June says.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
B47

Quote:
My crossbar does have the 4 notches. I'll bet Laura June's does too. My money is on the solution dunnnc pointed out, that the threaded vertical rod isn't screwed far enough into the baseplate, with the result that there's not enough threaded area at the top to allow the wing nut to be tightened down as far as necessary. Guess we'll have to see what Laura June says.
You could be right. What ever happened to the practice of tightening something down until it can't be tightened anymore and then giving it one more turn?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Another rat in the race

Quote:
My money is on the solution dunnnc pointed out, that the threaded vertical rod isn't screwed far enough into the baseplate, with the result that there's not enough threaded area at the top to allow the wing nut to be tightened down as far as necessary.
Well you learn something new everyday. I though all dual tank screw down systems had a completely threaded rod. If memory serves all 3 RVs I have had did, including this one.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
You could be right. What ever happened to the practice of tightening something down until it can't be tightened anymore and then giving it one more turn?
cheap metal

but I'm in your camp I'll try it at least once