Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #1

Question on winterizing Rockwood A122BH A Frame

Hello Folks,

This is our first year with an A Frame trailer, (or any RV), and I need some feedback on a question regarding winterizing.

Here in Bend, Oregon we do get snow in the winter, though it doesn't get below the teens, and usually never below the mid 20's. My question is this:
Since we don't have a black water tank, is it sufficient to just drain the hot water and fresh water tanks and the water lines? I've read many posts that talk about putting antifreeze in all the water lines for the winter, but if all the water has been drained, why would this be necessary?

I'll appreciate any feedback you all can offer on this, and any other ideas you may have for us on getting it ready for winter.

Many thanks!
Russell Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #2

Other A frame owners should chime in, but i can tell you the why. Draining the water systems won't get all the water out, and any water left that freezes risks bursting lines or connections, or busting the water pump. Pushing the pink stuff through is pretty cheap insurance.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
OYO

The issue is your faucets and water pump. Just draining will leave water in them. If it gets cold enough for long enough they will be damaged.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Scoundrel

As others have said just draining lines will leave water in low points in the lines, water pump, and elsewhere. I would drain the tanks, by-pass the hot water tank, pump antifreeze through the lines and drop a little antifreeze into the drain p-traps.

Peace of mind for the rest of the winter.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Site Team

The cost and effort to winterize with "Pink stuff" is considerably less than the cost and effort required to repair a burst fitting or line. If you have an outside shower don't forget to do it as well. You should not need more than 2 Gal ($7.00) of pink stuff to protect everything.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Agree need to winterize. It’s so much easier than you would think. Here is a good video. make sure to bypass the hot water heater.

mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #7

Re winterizing...

THANK YOU everyone! I appreciate all of you taking your time to reply so much. We have a very generous community of 'A framers' here!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #8

I don't use the special hose that is illustrated in the video.

This how I do my T12-RBST which is a sister model to the Rockwood A-122 series.

1. Open up the fresh water drain valve.

2. Open up the hot and cold low point drains near the water heater under the seat next to the Stove and Fridge.

3. Open both hot and cold sides of the sink faucet.

4. Open up both sides of the outside shower control.

5. Open up the water filter under the sink, remove the filter element, re-install the filter housing.

6. Let everything drain until water stops running, then close all the open devices.

7. Set the water heater bypass valves (all 3 will be turned in the direction opposite of normal usage position).

8. Note that you can dilute the pink antifreeze depending on expected lowest temperatures. I use Minus 50 degree antifreeze diluted 1 to 1 with water which should protect to minus 9 degrees. I put 2 gallons full strength into the fresh water fill, then refill the empty bottles and add 2 gallons of water.

9. I now turn the water pump on, then open one tap at a time until it flows a steady stream of pink. The flow into the inside sink will give you protection for the drain trap. I remove the shower head on the outside and run the solution back into the fresh tank inlet.

10. DONE

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #9

Many thanks!

Thanks Bluepill! Very easy to follow, and I appreciate that advice comes from someone who has pretty much the same rig!

All the best to you....
Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #10

I posted a response to a similar question in another thread.
I use air to winterize.
The discussion is slightly different, but you may find it helpful.
Click here.

Winterize your camper...regardless of the method. PEX lines can endure a lot of stress, but the plastic connectors will pop like broken eggs if water inside freezes.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Thank you!

Thanks Jim, for the useful info... I read the post you linked to, and it was pretty comprehensive. I don't have a compressor that would do the job you describe, so will have to do the antifreeze method.

I received one post that recommended the draining and other procedures, but said when he's done then he adds 2 gallons of pink antifreeze to the fresh water tank.

When I went to a local RV shop, he told me "don't do that unless you like the taste of antifreeze! These tanks are porous, and you'll have antifreeze residue accumulate in them." He fixed me up with a hose and fitting to attach to the water pump, along with the antifreeze... makes sense to me.

So, I'm off to complete my winterizing project! Many thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #12

That's good advice if you drink the water from your fresh tank, although using a carbon filter should clear out the bad taste. I only drink bottled water, and use the tank for cleaning dishes and showering.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

Thanks again!

Thanks again, Bluepill... I wouldn't have known you only drank bottled water rather than from your FW tank. Thanks for the clarification! )

All the best,
Russ

Tags
a122, a122bh, frame, rockwood, winter