Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
OYO

asbrand - answers to questions above:

Refer cool down prior to trip - you can set it manually to run on propane the day before you leave

Toilet - as someone pointed out above; let the park clean up the mess. We'd use it for solids if there were no campground facilities.

Grill - it cooks pretty good. But that is the only gas grill i own so don't have much to compare it to

Locks - the latches I added have locks. Using the original ones, if you wanted to latch the door shut you had to use the key

One other mod I would not do without is the MagicMesh screen door.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:43 PM   #12

In answer to some of your questions - bought the A192HW June 28th. Love it but if you are short, latching the walls could mean standing on the bed and the dinette as it did for me. Living in Missouri where it has been in the high ninety's with high humidty. I have my camper set up in a state park for viewing as I am selling it. But the cool cat works GREAT!. So does the refrigerator. I have the cool cat set on 74 and it is doing a marvelous job of keeping the camper at a comfortable temperature. I put bottled water in the refrigerator to offer anyone a cold drink. I have it set on 4 and using shore power - the water is very cold.

The power lift works great. It snaps into place everytime it is raised. There is a clicking sound so you can't mistake when it is locked into place. I am very pleased with the power lift. The storage in this unit is fantastic. My unit has the storage drawer that looks like a trough. Did not use the water at all or the outside grill or shower. Should have bought the short version - A122S. The Rockwood and Flagstaff versions are identical except in décor. Both are very solid and have better features then the Aliner I looked at.

As for as Forest River is concerned, I am very disappointed in the fact that I bought out of state and cannot find a local dealer to honor the warranty. I did not know this upon purchase so I want to pass this important point on. It is written on the back of their brochure (which I did not see) that Forest River "highly recommends" to buy locally. I do not know about your state dealers but none of mine would help. I contacted Forest River and they did respond immediately but the solutions were to go back to the original dealer too many miles away or find an "unauthorized" dealer and they "may" reimburse. Neither solution will be viable for us. So you live, learn, and move on.

The campers are great fun and very easy to tow! I have a Nissan Frontier and it towed beautifully. By the way I am a SOL (short older lady). Happy Camping.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #13

We are tent campers/back packers but just graduated our last child and decided we are too old and creepy to mess with tents anymore. We loved that life, but we, like you, were tired of the hours of set up/clean up.

We have a Flagstaff T12RBST model - I timed my husband this weekend - it was 40 seconds to set up once leveled. Leveling can take a minute or two or 20 depending on what equipment you're using, what your site looks like and how much experience you have. This was only our 2nd attempt but it went much faster than the first and now we've got the socket for the electric drill that will make leveling a breeze!

We haven't had any issues with anything yet. Our local dealer is more than an hour away so we'll do what we can on our own and take it there for service once or twice a year.

Storage - this fits into our 3rd car garage perfectly with plenty of room to walk around and access storage doors, etc.

Shower - there is actually pretty decent pressure with this shower - I loved your idea of setting up the little shower screen! May have to do that.

We haven't used the travel loo in the box under the bed yet - we are used to long drops and standard comfort stations. But if the weather was nasty, I'd use it.

The grill was disappointing - we used a griddle/grill over the top of it for pancakes and cooked bacon on it. We did not however try it for steaks. Man, I just really love cooking on a camp fire. We'll probably keep it and use it for pancakes, but it isn't the best.

All in all - coming from tent camping or back packing, there has been a very slight learning curve - BUT - it's been fun and RELAXING for a change! I really think you'll love the A-Frame life!!!

2016 Forest River Flagstaff 12RBST
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

I was in your shoes recently. After doing a tremendous amount of research and closely following this forum, I have decided to pull the trigger on a new A213HW. My decision was reinforced when I visited the FR factory today and saw the new interiors. They are awesome.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Thought I'd give you a view of what I'm coming from (which I'll still use on week-long events, just not weekend-long ones). You can click on the pics to enlarge them for details.

My tent / dayshade setup:

My twin sized Viking slat bed:

-Az
asbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
So, few more questions:

1. Regarding replacing the locking latches on the storage compartments. Someone have a link to the ones mentioned? Lockable but also latchable without a key?

2. These don't come with a screen on the door? Odd. What is this "magnetic screen" talked about?

3. I often will camp in cold weather, and it will be boondocking. How well does the propane furnace work?

4. How insulated are the undersides of these things? Do I have to worry about the freshwater tank / pipes freezing up?

5. Someone stated using "teflon tape" to prevent leaks. Prevent them where? On what?

...I'm sure I'll have more to ask...
-Az
asbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrand View Post
1. Regarding replacing the locking latches on the storage compartments. Someone have a link to the ones mentioned? Lockable but also latchable without a key?

2. These don't come with a screen on the door? Odd. What is this "magnetic screen" talked about?
There is a screen on the door window. The magnetic screen is a modification somebody created. Bugs have not been a problem for us - but then we live in Colorado. And we don't like going in and out of the camper repeatedly.

Quote:
3. I often will camp in cold weather, and it will be boondocking. How well does the propane furnace work?
The heater heats every bit as well as the Cool Cat cools. And it doesn't need AC. Because of the A-frame construction that has some insulation compared to a tent pop-up, the heater doesn't run nearly as much as it did in my previous tent camper. And because the ends aren't extended, the beds stay warmer for the same thermostat setting. We set our thermostat around 50 to 55, and the heater runs less than 50% of the time on a 40 degree night. The digital thermostat is quite nice.

The heater fan draws 4 amps when the heater is on. We added a second battery to let us get through 4 nights with the heater running 5 hrs/night. No generator or solar to worry about. And we are always on the move after 4 or less nights. The A-frame is really great for short stays and moving on.

Quote:
4. How insulated are the undersides of these things? Do I have to worry about the freshwater tank / pipes freezing up?
If you look underneath, you will see OSB, lightly coated with black paint. With the water tank and pipes right up against the floor, I feel comfortable about not freezing with nights down to mid 20s. This assumes day temps in upper 40s.

I like to crack the vent when using both the heater and Cool Cat. It seems to improve air circulation within the camper to heat and cool more evenly. Adjustment of the vents has also helped.

Quote:
5. Someone stated using "teflon tape" to prevent leaks. Prevent them where? On what?
I use teflon tape on all plumbing that uses threads for connections - both at home and on RVs and boats. I don't take apart connections just to install Teflon tape. But if I do take apart a threaded connection, I use the teflon tape when I put it back together.

The most common connection that is taken apart is the hot water heater anode. Some recommend removing and checking/replacing the anode every year. I will check mine this year (the 3rd year).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 07-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #18
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrand View Post
So, few more questions:

...I'm sure I'll have more to ask...
Here is the link to the thumb locks I used
Keyed thumb locks

The MagicMesh screen is hard to describe. Basically you can walk through it with your hands full and it closes behind you. $8 @ menards, home depot etc. We've had one on our summer cottage for 5-6 years. Probably saved me 20 hours of work and many $ fixing the original sliding screen. For some reason some folks forget there is a door there.

I suggest you use the search function on this site. It is a great tool.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #19
OYO

Forgot to add.: love your slat bed. Woodworking is one of my winter hobbies.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #20

A bit of general info:

Big interest in an A-Frame camper...

Tags
a-frame, forest river, frame, pop up