Old 07-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #31

Wife and I have had our A128S for about 2 1/2 years now and love it. Quick and easy to set up...just as easy to take down...don't have to worry about it getting wet and having to set it back up to dry out.

I pull it with a 2012 Durango with 6 cylinder and no problem pulling it.

I put 3M Transparent Tape around all my bubble windows, vent fan because some have had theirs leak....Two weeks after putting the tape on I was camping and we had a 5" rain over night....not a sign of water inside the camper.

I never turn my frig on before hand....I bring along some frozen water bottles and put that in the frig after setting up the camper....within a couple of hours I can put our food inside and it keeps cold all weekend. I have had a couple of bottles of water still partially frozen by the end of the weekend.

I've only used the grill once but it worked fine...never used the stove other than to just light it each time we camp to make sure it still works...we do all our cooking outside.

Love our Aframe.

David

Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #32

Hey mlsa3.. I don't run my fridge while traveling either.. but mostly short trips. How long do you think the frozen water bottles would last? I will be making an approx four hour drive next month in my a122s.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9997 View Post
Hey mlsa3.. I don't run my fridge while traveling either.. but mostly short trips. How long do you think the frozen water bottles would last? I will be making an approx four hour drive next month in my a122s.

I would think if you put 4 or 5 regular water bottles frozen inside with the door closed they would still be mostly frozen at the end of 4 hours.

I also have an ice maker and keep baggies of ice inside my frig all the time while camping...they stay frozen the entire weekend and help keep the frig cold.

David
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #34

I use frozen half gallon milk jugs. To speed the prechill, keep temp on the road and moderate temp swings at camp during hot weather.

Fill the jug with water, then squeeze a bunch of water out and put the cap on while holding the squeeze. That way it won't split from ice expansion. Drink the cold water over the weekend.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #35

I put a frozen gallon water jug in fridge prior to leaving. I also turn on propane set on low (1 or 2) when on the road. I have a remote thermometer in fridge and monitor temp from TV. It usually stays around 32-35 degrees depending on ambient temps. I also have ice water to drink as frozen water melts. Quite often there is still ice in the jug three days later. Switch to 120 AC at campsite if available otherwise leave propane on. I would suggest you use a remote thermometer so you can monitor the temp in fridge no matter what system you use for cooling fridge while you are on the road.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #36
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzak View Post
I put a frozen gallon water jug in fridge prior to leaving. I also turn on propane set on low (1 or 2) when on the road. I have a remote thermometer in fridge and monitor temp from TV. It usually stays around 32-35 degrees depending on ambient temps. I also have ice water to drink as frozen water melts. Quite often there is still ice in the jug three days later. Switch to 120 AC at campsite if available otherwise leave propane on. I would suggest you use a remote thermometer so you can monitor the temp in fridge no matter what system you use for cooling fridge while you are on the road.
Yep. Remote thermometer here as well. Don't want your meat too warm or your favorite beverage too cold.

It's amazing the temperature variance inside the refer. Top shelf under the freezer vs bottom in the door can be 4-5 or more.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 AM   #37

I thinking of an A213HW as well -- is it easy to get one without skylights -- I was thinking about this as -- especially for the 2 small one -- that are in a nice place for solar panels..
Old 07-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post
I thinking of an A213HW as well -- is it easy to get one without skylights -- I was thinking about this as -- especially for the 2 small one -- that are in a nice place for solar panels..

Biscuit72 has a post with pictures on how he put 2 panels on his unit.

Title of the post is "200 Watts Solar Project on A Frame"

Very well done - professional looking job and plenty of room on the roof for 2 flexible (no drill/screws/mounting brackets, just adhesive to mount) panels. Worth a look.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
a-frame, forest river, frame, pop up