Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Questions after first voyage

Bought a t21 with the dormer/bathroom cassette and took it to the beach this past weekend. Loved it. The camper did very well even in a short downpour.

While camping I realized a few things the camper needed and wanted yalls feedback.

1.) Why does the doors not have open latches? What latches would be good for the camper?

2.) How can I keep the storage doors closed without using the key to open/close them?

3.) Since I was in a salty environment what should I clean the hinges inside the camper with? Should I add any lubricant afterwards? White lithium?

4.) For sure need to do some research for adding a tarp style canopy.

5.) I ran the fridge for 2 days before I left for the trip. However, it was plenty warm by the time I arrived at my destination. Any suggestion to keep it cool?

6.) Any of yall use leveling bubbles? Im wanting to buy some and remeber my grandfather had them. Im just not sure how to attach them to the trailer so it will be level. Ill google some.

Overall the camper did awesome and turned heads while camped out on the beach. Met a very nice couple who had an aframe too. The only issue I couldnt figure out until I got home was low voltage warning. The battery terminals needed a washer to snug the nuts down better.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

3.) Since I was in a salty environment what should I clean the hinges inside the camper with? Should I add any lubricant afterwards? White lithium?

IME, silicone is a better lube than lithium for most parts of the camper because it doesn't pick up road grime and doesn't leave stains when you make contact with it. I do use lithium on the stabilizers because they are under the camper so ther is no contact and the grime is not an issue because the jack screw is not under any significant torque that could cause wear on the screw.

5.) I ran the fridge for 2 days before I left for the trip. However, it was plenty warm by the time I arrived at my destination. Any suggestion to keep it cool?

Run the fridge on propane while on the road. Or if it won't stay lit, use 12 volt power and light it if you make long stops. Put a bottle or two of ice in the fridge to help moderate the temp swings. I use half gallon milk jugs with screw on caps but even frozen half liter water bottles will help. Use them to keep the fridge full so less cold is "lost" when opening the fridge.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #3

Yes I installed levelling bubbles and use them every time at setup
Dsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

6.) Any of yall use leveling bubbles? Im wanting to buy some and remeber my grandfather had them. Im just not sure how to attach them to the trailer so it will be level. Ill google some.

Level the camper using a spirit level on the inside countertop or floor. Then apply the levels to the outside. I use a circular level on the frame near the tongue jack. It isn't accurate so it misreads the level spot, but it is precise, so I can still get the camper level.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

Because it is important to keep fridge level while camper is parked, I put bubble level on bottom of fridge and then level. Floor in front of fridge would be good also.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
Grandpa's big Blue truck

We use 6" levels with magnetic strips on them one on the hitch one on the back bumper to level then check inside floor/counter tops with them . Had the stickon levels on our old camper worked okay I prefer the magnetic levels
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #7

I switched a few of the locking ones out with these. Not secure, but if you are in a spot where that is not a concern then all is good.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44333-T...=thumb+camlock

As for the fridge, I have done the ice thing which works well. Or freeze a bunch of your bottled water you are going to drink anyway. Could also try one of these below. It is what a friend of mine uses and he loves it.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Quart...rds=12v+cooler

We use stick on levels. One up front by the hitch for side to side, then on one the side of the camper for leveling front to back. I also have a small one that I keep close to check the fridge once and a while.

Good luck!!
kb0wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #8

We use Hopkins 08525 graduated levels on are Crusader 270 RET. One right by landing gear switch, the other on back.
Hopkins 08525 Graduated Level

they are great because they show how many inches off level you are so its easy to then put down the right amount of blocks.
drelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

x2 on the frozen water bottles in the fridge. I just keep rotating them - even when we're camping to help keep it colder in there.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #10

One my first voyage to Moab, a five hour drive, ran the fridge on the battery. Ran the truck battery down to point of needing a jump. Now cool on electric for a day or two, put as much frozen as possible of my supplies plus ice into fridge. I do use a Camco air circulator which seems to help. Run on propane at campsite. Worked out for trip to Yellowstone, another 5 hour drive.
Remark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
PnJ

warm fridg. while travelling

I run ref. on "auto",propane while traveling. Keeps things frozen at 100 deg. outside temp.
PnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
194'er

I run my fridge in auto as well, my camper is in an enclosed garage at the house. The night before I leave I plug in the (shore power), when I hook up to truck, it switches to propane, then it switches back to shore power once at the campsite. Propane if there is no power. It does it all for me. I've never had the slightest problem, keeping ice cream frozen hard in 95+ weather! That's with absolutely no modifications.

2015 rockwood 194A HW.
Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #13

Wow.. I am amazed at all the great information! Thank you everyone.

I do have one of those coleman fridge coolers but in south texas it can not keep up. Most of the time I will have multiple coolers especially when I know it will be hot. I also found a place that has dry ice for 60 cents a pound if I need it to stay colder longer.

I will purchase some level bubbles and set them up as y'all said.

Any other suggestions for making life easier while using the camper?
glarior is offline   Reply With Quote