Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #1

Re-Pack Bearings question

I'm about to do new tires on our 2012 T12DDST and figured I'd repack the bearing and adjust the brakes while I'm at it. I've never done this on my A Frame and thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice? It seems pretty straight forward, have any of you who have done this found getting the new bearing seals to be a problem? I'm wondering if I should pre-order and have them shipped or if most local auto parts stores carry them?

Thanks in advance!!
Colorado-A-Frame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #2

Check to see which axle you have. It should be a 3500 lb Dexter. If that's the case the parts are very easy to find. Took mine apart on an TT I had a few years ago. The seals and bearings are available at your local NAPA Auto Parts store (or others I'm sure). They use an unusual lock washer for the spindle so if you're not familiar with it check it out on you tube first to save some aggravation. [emoji41]
Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

I had my wife take a picture of the tag on the axel, I'm out of town for work this week. I have a short turn around when I get home, to when we leave on our trip...I'm now leaning towards just pumping in new grease until clean grease comes out, and doing a full remove and repack of the bearing when I have more time. I'm still tempted to do the complete job but I'm concerned about finding the parts, the seals specifically, the local dealer said they don't stock them all, and I've also read that the seals are difficult to remove. I'd love to see what those of you who have done this say about the job...did you order parts? We're the bearing seals difficult to remove? Also if you've done the pump new grease in until clean comes out, what type of grease did you use ? I'm kinda concerned about compatibility...I have no idea what kind of grease is in there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	142691  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

Just cleaned, inspected and repacked my bearings this month. Not a hard job just messy. It took 2-3 hrs for both sides. I purchased a four pack of seals this past winter on ebay for $8.00. Make sure you purchase double lip seals when you get them. They are readily available online from various sources Seals are not that hard to remove, just pry them out with a large screwdriver or small pry bar. They will get mangled but they get thrown out anyway. I used Lucas Red and Tacky #2 grease to repack and also in the past I used this grease to pump in some new grease until old grease came out. This grease meets the manufacturers' specifications.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado-A-Frame View Post
I'm about to do new tires on our 2012 T12DDST and figured I'd repack the bearing and adjust the brakes while I'm at it. I've never done this on my A Frame and thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice? It seems pretty straight forward, have any of you who have done this found getting the new bearing seals to be a problem? I'm wondering if I should pre-order and have them shipped or if most local auto parts stores carry them?

Thanks in advance!!
Very good advice from Mazak above. I also use red-n-tacky to, very good grease. You can look up AL-KO on line and get the bearings for about $44.00 but get your seals double lipped from Napa, they have them in stock... Little be known even through Dexter bought them out there is still a separate company AL-KO in Elkhart Ind......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

Do you happen to know the part numbers on the seals? Or should I should I give AL-KO a call Monday with my axel PN and get that info from them? I'd love to order up everything and have it waiting for me when I get home...if possible
Old 06-26-2017, 04:21 AM   #7

I would call AL-KO, rear seals are cheap, but Napa should be able to cross ref. It for you, call Napa and give them your model # of your axles. Buying directly from AL-KO will make sure you get the right parts. They nice people to work with, I even got some extra studs to carry you never now.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:27 AM   #8

This might help you.....

https://www.etrailer.com/question-220219.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:37 AM   #9

Awesome replies!! Thanks! I'll call AL-KO this morning and confirm the size and order from e-trailer looks like they have the double lipped seals in that kit. Thanks all! I'll report back after the job is complete
Old 06-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #10

Once I got the part number for the bearings and race/cups I cross referenced them and purchased Timken bearings which are still Made in USA. Ordered everything from Amazon, also purchased the bearing seal/race driver, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and bearing packer, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, made the job much easier only took and hour for both sides.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #11

I order up those tools and 2 bearing kits from Etrailer...my hope is the bearing and races are in good shape and I'll only need to clean and repack the bearings, but I have everything necessary just in case and also will have a good back up for the future.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado-A-Frame View Post
I order up those tools and 2 bearing kits from Etrailer...my hope is the bearing and races are in good shape and I'll only need to clean and repack the bearings, but I have everything necessary just in case and also will have a good back up for the future.

Thanks for the advice!
Looks like your in Business.

Tags
bearings