Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Really basic question about getting an A128s hard-side trailer..

I'm just thinking about buying a folding camper trailer - I've been a boat person but never an RV person. I'm looking at the A128s so my daughter, who I'll be travelling with, and I can have some separate 'work" space. I feel silly asking this, but I wonder where everyone keeps their stuff? There isn't a lot of cupboard space, and if I think of the equivalent of the contents of a backpack for each of us, plus groceries and dog food and some books and camera and binoculars and bird book and laptop and and and ... I'm sure you get the idea. I wondered whether people end up keeping a lot of things in the vehicle? The trailer has lots of living space, but it doesn't seem like that much "stashing space". Thanks..
dalesmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesmit View Post
I'm just thinking about buying a folding camper trailer - I've been a boat person but never an RV person. I'm looking at the A128s so my daughter, who I'll be travelling with, and I can have some separate 'work" space. I feel silly asking this, but I wonder where everyone keeps their stuff? There isn't a lot of cupboard space, and if I think of the equivalent of the contents of a backpack for each of us, plus groceries and dog food and some books and camera and binoculars and bird book and laptop and and and ... I'm sure you get the idea. I wondered whether people end up keeping a lot of things in the vehicle? The trailer has lots of living space, but it doesn't seem like that much "stashing space". Thanks..
Yes, my last popup was kinda fancy, hydraulic lift top, onboard head and shower etc. However like you limited storage. Kept all the kitchen stuff including food onboard. Bedding and clothes kept out in the van I towed with.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #3

That is a good question. I thought my pop up had too little space when I got it but ultimately never used all the storage it had. I am sure it will be a challenge but traveling with essentials will help. I am interested in the answers of experienced campers too.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #4

I just purchased a new A122S after having two popups. I bought this model because my mother often goes with me...I am a single lady...and we needed seperate sleeping areas...The front storage trunk is where I stashed everything for outside table, chairs, patio umbrella...etc. I use the front booth by the door for a "kitchen cabinet" so to speak. Glasses, cups, dishes, silverware cooking pans etc. I have purchased the wire rack for over the stove I saw online that others are using and also a hanging canvas closet organizer to hang on the clothing bar. The wire rack will be used for everyday items, the canvas organizer for food, chips, bread, snacks etc. Other food I am stashing under the sink and of course the frig. All drinks will go in a cooler outside the door. I have purchased a couple of zippered pillow cases to store towels in and extra blankets...besides our regular pillows. Just a little extra pillow or two thrown around to lounge on. I have storage under the back bed and will keep everything else needed under there. We always keep our softside suitcase on each of our beds. There is enough room to sleep with them pushed aside. I also as many others have done, took the table out and cut two boards for the front bed that can be slide under each cushion and have a smaller table in the case we eat inside. I pack pretty light, but always seem to have more than I need. Hope this gives you a few ideas. We are heading out in two weeks for my first trip in the new camper..!!!!
onaqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

I suggest that you get the biggest A frame camper you can tow. If you want to get an A frame.
We had a Ford Ranger and a Fleetwood Utah 12 foot box with a 2 foot storage box on the front.
There is 2 of us with 2 small dogs.
When packed for travel, the entire floor of the popup was packed, the back of the Ranger cab (Supercab) was full to the rear window and the bed of the pickup was full to the top of the bed rails. I carried some tools, firewood, bikes, cooler, etc.
I never took pictures because when we were packed up I needed to hit the road and go!
You need to take a serious look at what you want to take and what you need to take.
You don't mention a tow vehicle...
We got away from the popup and small truck because of all the packing and unpacking. It was not something we were willing to deal with on a daily basis.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesmit View Post
Storage is very limited. I find that our family of 3 can only keep about 4 days of food in the camper and then we need a food run. We keep clothes in the car. I have 3 small clear stackable tubs on the table above the microwave. I keep food and supplies in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3216571215.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	27484   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-682294667.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	27485  
K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #7

We have an A-126. Here is a list of somethings we did to store what we needed. Theres only two of us. No kids nor critters.
1. Ditched the existing table for "dry" outdoor use and use a folding table which is quite more stable and has hanging canvas shelves.
2. We hung a wood grain looking tension rod across the center just above the kitchen window. Hung "S" hooks and assorted baskets for storage.
3. One large cooler for extra items that will not fit in the fridge. Thats left outside.
4. Some storage we use under the bed too. We try to plan our menus which helps and we only take whats necessary. Hope it helps. We love our A-Frame and this forum is a great place to get advise and ideas. Best of Luck!!!!!
2012 Rockwood A126
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Can't say we have any real issues in storage for the A122. Lots goes under the bed, some goes in front storage under dinette. Some goes in under sink. We try not to drag around a bunch of camping "gear" that we never really use. And we don't make a huge production out of meals and such, it's about making this easy for us, so we try to travel simply as if we were traveling via hotels.. Sensible clothes, what would be needed to prepare basic meals, we bring a foldable cooler for drinks and beer or wine. We may buy perishable foods at the location rather than pack ahead. We tent to camp weekends or extended weekends mostly, and it's driven by weather and schedule so we can keep the camper 90% ready to go most of the time and be in the road within 30mins of deciding we want to go (we keep camping outer clothes, raincoats, sandals, bedding, non-perishable staples, cookware, lanterns and the other typical stuff in the camper throughout the season)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I suggest that you get the biggest A frame camper you can tow.

that I think to be good advice
better now than wishing we would have later

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Except all the a frames are pretty much the same size except for the mini. The basic box is the same foundation for all. It's more a question I think of deciding if an aframe is right for you period. It's not really about maximum living and storage space. For us it's about comfortable sleeping and some extra storage. They're not meant to live in like you would a TT or larger. Is a hardsided tent with amenities. We like that because its cheap, easy to setup, easy to tow and when we camp, we don't want to hang around indoors, were looking for comfortable sleeping and a relatively self-contained operation compared to a tent and all the bins and other crap you'd need to bring to be comfortable.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #11

Don't some of them come in a "high wall"?
I thought some were very low and had short walls like a tent trailer, with others that had residential height counters. Or did they get away from that?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #12

I think the key to managing storage space in the A Frame is organization. Having limited space jist means packing what you need and not taking along a months worth of food and.clothing for a weekend trip. I pretty much just throw a gym bag with clothing essentials and whatever foodstuffs for calculated meals. There is more storage with the units that have the storage box, bike hauler platform or toy deck. The box may be 12 foot but specific floorplans will allow more storage/space for "stuff". The more a person goes out in their A Frame, the better you'll understand how to use the space. Enjoy & have fun woth the new adventure.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #13

As with any camper, storage can be an issue depending on what you need and what you really need. After a few trips you cand decide what really is needed and what can be left behind. I keep everything in plastic storage bins labled with contents and keep them in the bed of my truck. I keep what I need in the camper and get the rest from the truck as needed. I use carry on bags or gym bags for clothes, use coolers for extra food and pop and beer.In time, storage space will become a minor issue and you will be spending your time figuring on where to go camping. I also have the A128S and have enjoyed every mnute of it. Until then, have fun and enjoy that new camper.