Old 08-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #1
Rear cargo carrier

Hello fellow A campers! I'm seeking suggestions, ideas, and hopefully pictures of what anyone has done to carry cargo from the rear bumper area of the camper. Now I realize the bumpers on these campers aren't designed to carry any weight. However I work with metal and can fabricate just about anything. As far as weight goes, I'd love to carry my inverter genny, and my grey water tank on the back . The tank empty weighs around thirty five pounds, and the genny weighs around one thirty. There are several ways I can tie into the frame to make it strong enough for the weight mentioned. I'd love to extend it about a foot or two and even have thought about tying it all together using the existing spare tire bracket, I could use longer bolts to keep the spare tire there or remove the tire and put it somewhere else.
As you can see, a bunch of ideas, and surely someone had done some version of this. I want some of the weight that is currently in the bed of my truck put in the back of the camper, where the camper is the lightest. Thanks

2015 rockwood 194A HW.

Jaydubya81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
Look at the thread "Heavy duty hitch receiver for a frame".

Heavy duty rear hitch receiver for hardside

It's a good place to start. You should be ale to fabricate or buy one of the available rear hitch carriers.

There's also a guy who has put a similar carrier on the front frame. It has his genny and battery on it.

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer TV
The Villages, Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer w/ Tow Package
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Please consider the balance of the camper in your design so you don't wind up with a light tongue and introduce a sway problem. And if you do build this, use safety cables on everything for a time, just incase the mod fails on the highway.

I personally wouldn't do it, but I don't have the skills or experience to even guess if it would work or not. Bluepiil seems to have had a pretty gould experience with his mod.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is online now   Reply With Quote