Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #1

Rear view cameras vs mirrors

Have a 212hw being pulled by a Yukon Denali. I am not able to see either rear corner f the camper with the standard Yukon mirrors. I am uncomfortable doing lane changes in high volume traffic areas simply because of this. Am considering a rear view, wireless, camera system vs extension mirrors. Anyone with recommendations appreciated.
Wanderer1844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #2

We use these and they work great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-26-2016, 01:08 AM   #3

I use the strap on mirrors and so far so good. They do shake some but I do suggest if you go the mirror route you purchase the convex or wide angle type. I got the flat mirrors first and took them back, didn't help much and the shake was bad. The ones I replaced them with had both flat and convex mirrors. The flat mirror still didn't help much and still shook but the convex was very helpful and the shake was minimized. With convex mirrors though, it is just like the passenger side car mirrors say "Objects are closer than they appear"

I have seen mirrors that are made specifically for your TV. They are more expensive but will fit better and reduce the shaking. Might work better in your case. I would have preferred these but none were made for my TV.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #4

Mounted rear view camera inside TV -

I mounted a rear view camera(straight bar license plate style) inside the TV.
It is screwed into the TV roof just inside the rear hatch window. The view is over the top of the camper, and it displays good all around visibility.

I use it mostly full-time, but it can be unplugged at the 12v receptacle.

Sorry, no pic, but I hope you get the idea.

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #5

Rear view Camera vs. mirrors

Wanderer, I don't use either method. Some years back, I took the AARP defensive driving course and learned about a different way to adjust my side-view mirrors. AARP's instructor recommended this: For the R side view mirror, slide yourself to the middle of your from seat and move that mirror to where you can just see the corner of your vehicle. For the L mirror, slide yourself all the way up against the door with your head against the window and move the mirror to where you can just see the corner of your vehicle. With the mirrors set like that, I have a good view of what's on either side of me. As vehicles come up to pass me on either side, the moment they hit the "blind spot" in the rear view mirror, they appear in the side view mirrors. Still can't see over the trailer, but this method has removed all the anxiety of making lane changes. It's even better when I'm not towing. Don't know if this is of any help, but it works for me.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #6

I've had the big tow mirrors on other vehicles and wasn't pleased with them. I installed the rear view camera which connects via wifi to my iPhone or iPad. Using that I can see everything going on behind me.

Here's a picture of the setup using the iPad mini:

Another pix showing the view on the iPhone (I use it more than the iPad because the iPad usually has TomTom navigation running):

BTW, these pictures taken while the TT is parked about 300 feet away from the TV. I used a Sharx camera because of the 1900 his resolution display and I didn't have to get a separate monitor. Works great on the "I" devices and will also work on Android smartphones.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I've had the big tow mirrors on other vehicles and wasn't pleased with them. I installed the rear view camera which connects via wifi to my iPhone or iPad. Using that I can see everything going on behind me.

Here's a picture of the setup using the iPad mini:

Another pix showing the view on the iPhone (I use it more than the iPad because the iPad usually has TomTom navigation running):

BTW, these pictures taken while the TT is parked about 300 feet away from the TV. I used a Sharx camera because of the 1900 his resolution display and I didn't have to get a separate monitor. Works great on the "I" devices and will also work on Android smartphones.
Do you need a router to get the Wi-Fi to connect to? Sorry, my technological side has started to slip. I used to be on the up and up with everything....now I don't have the time to keep up!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
Do you need a router to get the Wi-Fi to connect to? Sorry, my technological side has started to slip. I used to be on the up and up with everything....now I don't have the time to keep up!
Yes, you need a router. I installed a Netgear R6400 (the one with three antennas) in the forward overhead cabinet. Netgear routers use 12 volt DC for power. I tapped into the overhead light below the cabinet and put a single pole mini switch inline so I could shut the router off. When ready to use I power up the router, turn on the running lights for camera power and start the MobiLinkCam app to view the activities behind the TT.

As extra benefit is turning the lights on when parked (separate switch for that) to power the camer so I can view it from inside the TT. I'm thinking about installing another camera on the side of the TT so I can see who's knocking on the door. The Sharx cameras have built in recording so anything that happens gets recorded (eight or so hours at high resolution and up to 12 hours at 1080p).
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

I used a strap on left side tow mirror on my previous TV, a Durango, to get a better view down the side of the camper and to the back. It was very helpful despite the vibration. Easy and intuitive. The right side was never a problem because of the wider angle of the stock convex mirror.

I don't need it with my current TV as the bigger stock mirrors make moving my head position sufficient to get the views I need.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #10

I bought an inexpensive wireless backup camera and monitor on ebay and I have it pointed out the rear window of our 25' TT. Works fine for me.
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

I have driven vehicles both ways and although the side view cameras are nice if you are making a tight turn while backing up. I prefer side mirrors.

When I had the 1998 Forest River Wildwood 5er, it came with extension mirrors that would mount over the 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD mirrors. These add on's were located out far enough so I could see the entire lane next to me.

Now that I have the Forest River Sunseeker with the side view cameras, I find it easier to use the mirrors because I can glance left or right to see them while keeping my head facing forward to see what is in front of me, rather than looking up at the camera monitor that is located where a rear view mirror would be.

If you are going to add a remote camera system, get a 4 camera system and also add one to the back of the trailer you are pulling. it makes backing into tight places real easy.

Our Sunseeker has the camera package that included a rear view mirror mounted monitor, a back up camera and two side view cameras. I also have a camera mounted on the back of my enclosed trailer that is hooked to the LED radio screen.
The side view cameras turn on either by using the turn signal or pushing a button on the monitor.
The main backup camera faces down at the trailer hitch and turns on by putting the vehicle in reverse or pushing the button on the monitor.
The back up camera on the trailer turns on by putting the vehicle in reverse.

I pretty much never use the drivers side camera when changing lanes to pass because I am always glancing at it in order to keep track of whats around me in case I have to change lanes quickly.

I will glance at the monitor on occasion when getting ready to return to the right hand lane after passing a vehicle because I have that camera set up so I can see the mirrors "blind spot"
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #12

Have been using extension rear-view mirrors for years, and will never go back to a remote TV camera. Most drivers' instincts when towing are to look into the rear view mirrors to assess their situation. The driver's instinct is never to look at a small TV Monitor inside the tow vehicle. This can save precious seconds in a situation where an otherwise dangerous situation may be developing.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #13

I asked the same question somewhere, boy did I get an ear full.
From a lot of reading multiple forums, I picked up the following tidbits:
1. Tow mirrors are a definite advantage, many use them to be able to see where the trailer wheels are going on turns.
2. Always on - rearview observation cameras are really nice to see what is directly behind the trailer (think tailgaters) - out of sight if your trailer blocks the view from the inside rear view mirror. Some of these cameras have very wide fields of view, so you can tell if you are fully ahead of a vehicle in the next lane. They can also help backing up.
3. If you go with a rear camera, there is a mount that puts the monitor on the inside rear view mirror - so your normal driving habits allow you to see what is behind you. I saw a post that said it is available on Amazon.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:01 AM   #14

My experience with both rear-view CC TV cameras and extension mirrors is as follow:

1. The CCTV image is so small it is practically useless unless you have a 22-inch monitor in the cab of your tow vehicle. That alone would be a distraction that I would not permit, unless it was aimed at my wife while she plays video Games. while I'm driving. Come to think of it, that makes some sense!

2. Mirror extensions are great, so long as they are adjusted correctly. They can be adjusted to show vehicles that are behind you that you would never see with your "stock" mirrors. Just make sure you signal a lane change several hundred yards before needed , and then ease over into the next lane. This does not apply to California, where the use of the middle finger is considered standard when being passed abruptly on the right..
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 AM   #15

Some states have laws requiring the use of extended mirrors. I don't believe using a rear view camera would make you legal in those states. Plus there is a delay when using a wifi setup for you're camera. That few second delay could be costly.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #16

You absolutely need the best sideview mirrors you can come up with. The camera is nice and I use mine a lot but it only shows what is directly behind. THERE IS A HUGE BLIND SPOT between what is behind you and what is beside you for lane changes. If you're forced to make a choice, definitely go with large mirrors with a large convex feature.
Jordyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #17

We use both. We use the camera to have a good idea of the constant changes in traffic behind us and to see if a vehicle is too close to us. This helps us make a decision about when it is right or not right to try to pass another vehicle. We then use the side mirrors to double check and to actually move over both ways. It is nice to see who is behind you because we have had any number of drivers who move quickly and even pass on the wrong side. Every added aid helps with decision making. Sudden decisions are made with the side mirrors.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #18

If you are towing anything wider then your TV you really should first invest in tow mirrors. A camera should only be added after the tow mirrors and the camera should never be the exclusive way to see things behind you. Most states require "properly adjusted mirrors" for all vehicles which allow 200' of visibility behind the vehicle.

For the OP, specific to Louisiana
Quote:
§354. Mirrors

A. After January 1, 1975, every motor vehicle manufactured or assembled after December 31, 1972, of a type subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle.

B. Every motor vehicle of a type subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle or motor driven cycle, shall be equipped with an additional mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred feet to the rear of the vehicle. When the required view from the inside mirror is obstructed, an outside mirror on the right side of the vehicle shall be required.

C. All mirrors required by this section shall be maintained in good condition at all times.
Invest in mirrors first, then a camera if you want.

I have both tow mirrors and an observstion camera. The camera is because I drive in CA and I like to see who is drafting in their Prius.

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #19

A dose of their own medcine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chpusmc View Post
I have both tow mirrors and an observstion camera. The camera is because I drive in CA and I like to see who is drafting in their Prius.

I don't have near the problem with a Prius drafting me near as much as I do another RV. Well, I do, but I just slow down enough so they get bored going so slow and pass.

What I do have problems with is another RV trying to draft. When driving too close to another large vehicle, you are disrupting the air flow around their vehicle and creating the same scenerio as the handling problems one has when another large vehicle passes. Trouble is it isn't just for a few seconds its constantly.

The Sunseeker and the enclosed trailer I am pulling will dance all over the road due to the air disruption when another large vehicle is too close behind me.

My solution, slow down until they get bored and pass, then give them a dose of their own medicine. A couple minutes of the return favor and they usually stomp on the throttle and take off like a bat out of hell.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #20

I am with Post# 15 & 16 on this subject! Youroo!!