Old 07-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Rear view cameras vs mirrors

Have a 212hw being pulled by a Yukon Denali. I am not able to see either rear corner f the camper with the standard Yukon mirrors. I am uncomfortable doing lane changes in high volume traffic areas simply because of this. Am considering a rear view, wireless, camera system vs extension mirrors. Anyone with recommendations appreciated.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #2

We use these and they work great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-26-2016, 02:08 AM   #3

I use the strap on mirrors and so far so good. They do shake some but I do suggest if you go the mirror route you purchase the convex or wide angle type. I got the flat mirrors first and took them back, didn't help much and the shake was bad. The ones I replaced them with had both flat and convex mirrors. The flat mirror still didn't help much and still shook but the convex was very helpful and the shake was minimized. With convex mirrors though, it is just like the passenger side car mirrors say "Objects are closer than they appear"

I have seen mirrors that are made specifically for your TV. They are more expensive but will fit better and reduce the shaking. Might work better in your case. I would have preferred these but none were made for my TV.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Mounted rear view camera inside TV -

I mounted a rear view camera(straight bar license plate style) inside the TV.
It is screwed into the TV roof just inside the rear hatch window. The view is over the top of the camper, and it displays good all around visibility.

I use it mostly full-time, but it can be unplugged at the 12v receptacle.

Sorry, no pic, but I hope you get the idea.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #5

Rear view Camera vs. mirrors

Wanderer, I don't use either method. Some years back, I took the AARP defensive driving course and learned about a different way to adjust my side-view mirrors. AARP's instructor recommended this: For the R side view mirror, slide yourself to the middle of your from seat and move that mirror to where you can just see the corner of your vehicle. For the L mirror, slide yourself all the way up against the door with your head against the window and move the mirror to where you can just see the corner of your vehicle. With the mirrors set like that, I have a good view of what's on either side of me. As vehicles come up to pass me on either side, the moment they hit the "blind spot" in the rear view mirror, they appear in the side view mirrors. Still can't see over the trailer, but this method has removed all the anxiety of making lane changes. It's even better when I'm not towing. Don't know if this is of any help, but it works for me.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Usually Confused Member

I've had the big tow mirrors on other vehicles and wasn't pleased with them. I installed the rear view camera which connects via wifi to my iPhone or iPad. Using that I can see everything going on behind me.

Here's a picture of the setup using the iPad mini:

Another pix showing the view on the iPhone (I use it more than the iPad because the iPad usually has TomTom navigation running):

BTW, these pictures taken while the TT is parked about 300 feet away from the TV. I used a Sharx camera because of the 1900 his resolution display and I didn't have to get a separate monitor. Works great on the "I" devices and will also work on Android smartphones.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I've had the big tow mirrors on other vehicles and wasn't pleased with them. I installed the rear view camera which connects via wifi to my iPhone or iPad. Using that I can see everything going on behind me.

Here's a picture of the setup using the iPad mini:

Another pix showing the view on the iPhone (I use it more than the iPad because the iPad usually has TomTom navigation running):

BTW, these pictures taken while the TT is parked about 300 feet away from the TV. I used a Sharx camera because of the 1900 his resolution display and I didn't have to get a separate monitor. Works great on the "I" devices and will also work on Android smartphones.
Do you need a router to get the Wi-Fi to connect to? Sorry, my technological side has started to slip. I used to be on the up and up with everything....now I don't have the time to keep up!

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
Winter :'(
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
Do you need a router to get the Wi-Fi to connect to? Sorry, my technological side has started to slip. I used to be on the up and up with everything....now I don't have the time to keep up!
Yes, you need a router. I installed a Netgear R6400 (the one with three antennas) in the forward overhead cabinet. Netgear routers use 12 volt DC for power. I tapped into the overhead light below the cabinet and put a single pole mini switch inline so I could shut the router off. When ready to use I power up the router, turn on the running lights for camera power and start the MobiLinkCam app to view the activities behind the TT.

As extra benefit is turning the lights on when parked (separate switch for that) to power the camer so I can view it from inside the TT. I'm thinking about installing another camera on the side of the TT so I can see who's knocking on the door. The Sharx cameras have built in recording so anything that happens gets recorded (eight or so hours at high resolution and up to 12 hours at 1080p).

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

I used a strap on left side tow mirror on my previous TV, a Durango, to get a better view down the side of the camper and to the back. It was very helpful despite the vibration. Easy and intuitive. The right side was never a problem because of the wider angle of the stock convex mirror.

I don't need it with my current TV as the bigger stock mirrors make moving my head position sufficient to get the views I need.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #10

I bought an inexpensive wireless backup camera and monitor on ebay and I have it pointed out the rear window of our 25' TT. Works fine for me.