Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Recent A-frame mods

I wont take credit for all of these ideas - many are inspired by the work of others....

12VDC and 12v USB Marine-grade plugs
these are marine grade plugs for a cigarette lighter type and a dual USB type - they have a flexible cover to protect against weather - manuf is Blue Sea Systems - Innovative electrical systems — Built to last and i purchased them from Amazon.

I removed the microwave from the cabinet and was then able to access the cabinet panel from both sides. used a step drill to drill the required holes - i wanted to locate above the thermostat so that i could use "shorty" USB cords to charge my various devices by laying them on the countertop above and not have loads of extra cord dangling.

I used a small 4-slot fusebox like you'd see for automotive use, mounting that on the underside of the cabinet. I jumpered into 12V near the radio for power source and fused each of the two plugs separately.

The 12V Cig Lighter Plug is handy for both my battery meter as well as a 12VDC Endless Breeze Fan when I don't have hookups. the two USB slots have a green LED indicator light to show proper function and will charge Ipads and any other USB accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1697.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	37191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1698.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	37192   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	37193  
Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #2

Hard Disk Fan mod to Refrigerator

This was a pretty quick fan mod - using the inexpensive Refrigerator Fan for Dometic/Norcold refrigerators - The fan only uses a hot 12V wire, ground is obtained through the alligator clip used to hang it on the condenser fins.

The fridge in the A-Frame doesn't have a light inside, so i went through the same hole in the back of the fridge that the thermostat uses - on the backside of the fridge, looking at the fridge from the outside, you can access constant 12V from one of the two butted or twisted wires that run to the blade terminal strip mounted on the back of the fridge behind the Propane control box... use a small current detector or multimeter to determine which is hot and which is ground.

I turned off main power to the camper, cut the butt connector off, twisted the fan wire into the pair and reapplied a new butt connector.

Fan turns on when the alligator clip is clipped to the fins, turns off when unclipped. This will improve fridge efficiency so watch your temperature controls as you will likely need to find a lower number for the sweetspot. I managed to freeze some cans of soda to bursting pressure with the 120VAC control set to 5 on a 75*F day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	37194  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

New Pedestal Table Install

I guess the newer A-Frames have a pedestal table, my original model had a useless, particleboard reinforced with plywood, with heavy steel legs impossible table.

I did two main things here... one, replaced that old table and legs with a new birch veneer plywood top and a pedestal legs setup. two, i reduced the table size a bunch, creating plenty of tablespace for the two of us, but also increasing the moving-around space inside the camper, and the second piece (used for when the table is in "bed" mode) makes a great shelf on the other side of the pedestal - we use it to hold our clothes bags.

Pictures tell a better story i suppose.

Install is straightforward - there's an angle iron on the undercarriage dead center so the floor cone is only screwed in with 4 stainless 1/4"-20 2" bolts with big fender washers and stainless nuts on the underside of the camper. Stability seems fine as long as you dont try to climb on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	37195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	37196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	37197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	37198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	37201  

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Clothes Storage

I think my wife bought this clothes hanger from Linens & Things - its a bit unique in that it is able to be configured into a shorter, double-wide version with an extra rod sleeve and some velcro.

We attach to the OEM hanger bar. works pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1714.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	37202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1715.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	37203  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Outside Temp

This uses a pretty cheap window thermometer from Lowe's - i think it was under $10, might have been under $5 on sale.

Displays current temp as well as recent lowest and highest. Nice to know how cold it got the previous night for instance. Its attached to the outside of the large window opposite the door side. Has been there for 18months with no issues either with walls up or folded.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1711.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	37204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	37205  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

Magic Mesh® Screen Mod

Seen this plenty of times before by others.

I mounted the top of the screen beneath the padded header - i leave the screen in position when folded down as well.

Hemmed over the sides and stitched, then stitched the velcro at regular intervals down both sides.

The velcro that attaches to the door frame didn't stick all too well, so i reapplied them with a bit of 3M double-sided foam tape - they dont seem to pull off now like they used to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	37206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	37207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	37208  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

Command Strip Clothes Hooks

I needed more space for hanging, just a hook here and there for a hat or sweatshirt. the Command Strip hooks fit the bill - easy application and the pics are self-explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	37209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	37210  
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #8

You've been busy!
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Nice selection of mods. I just bought some 12V outlets but have been thinking about where to mount them. Your placement seems better than putting them on the bed side where anything plugged in would be in the way of raising the bed. And more convenient than replacing the cable pass through.

How easy or difficult is it to take down the table? Does it just pull up and out easily? The half shelf is an ingenious idea to get the smaller table in.

More to think about.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Retread Popup Owner

Thanks much for posting! We're going to be out in ours this weekend, seeing what we can dream up.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
New Pedestal Table Install

Nice looking table! We moved our smaller back pedestal table (in our 2012 A128s unit) to the front and retired the clunky OEM front table. However, I wish it was just a little larger.

I really like the fan in the refrigerator as well. I am thinking about adding one inside and one outside to keep the air circulated both in the Refrigerator and in the access panel area (especially during the warmer months).

Great pics!
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post

How easy or difficult is it to take down the table? Does it just pull up and out easily?
the pedestal type design is pretty common in RVs and Boats - the parts are super cheap and it drops down easily enough just by lifting the table top up and removing the post. there is a cone on the bottom of the tabletop exactly like the one mounted to the floor... they are friction/gravity fit. no tools required to assemble and disassemble.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post

I really like the fan in the refrigerator as well. I am thinking about adding one inside and one outside to keep the air circulated both in the Refrigerator and in the access panel area (especially during the warmer months).

Great pics!
this is the inside fan from the ebay seller - i had posted about it some time ago wondering if anyone had tried it, eventually decided to be the guinea pig.

RV Refrigerator Fan for Dometic / Norcold 12v Refrigerators
Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

Hide-A-Power Three Outlet Station

thanks for the response to the previous posts - i've done these over the course of time but hadn't taken the time to document them. thought it would be useful now since this A-Frame forum is generating a lot of activity from newcomers.

This is a planned mod, I have not done it yet but will do so before summer is out.

The Problem: on the A122, the two 120V AC outlets on the bed side are right where the mattress also lays, and where it opens up to access storage underneath. while it is serviceable for the heated mattress plus, electric blanket, coffee maker by the sink, etc is is less than ideal and ready for improvement. the outlet by the small window, which is where our heads lay, is similarly challenged.

The Solution: I thought about the power outlet strips used commonly for home office desks - they are sort of a vertical power strip that has a grommet for use in a typical "cord hole" in these desks and the power strip recesses to be just a little handle when not in use. My plan is to put one of these behind the sink to use with both countertop and bed-related plug uses. when not in use i can recess it into the cabinet underneath, but when in-use, it provides much better access to outlets.

The Plan: My plan is to drill the 3" hole into the countertop in the appropriate location, then splice into the AC box that is already on the bed side of that cabinet and wire this power strip in. Should be a simple fix with only a short piece of romex needed. (alternately, i could create a hidden A/C outlet box inside the cabinet using the same method and just plug this power strip in, thus avoiding having to modify the power strip at all)

You'll see a much more expensive version of this modification in high-end kitchens, used for countertop appliances that get stored away in some appliance garage cabinet. or sometimes near a cooktop to power a handheld blender or other cooking related appliance.

anyway - i'll post a pic of the item for now, and if you want to tackle the job before i get to it.. be my guest.

Note - there is also a version with integrated USB ports - while useful for a desktop, i like my mod for USB ports in the cabinet next to the doorway better. YMMV.

Hide-a-Power 3 Outlet Station on Amazon
Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Mostly Harmless

Now THAT is cool! Once again you've added a project to my to-do list.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #16

Great idea. We use safety plugs in ours, and so far only use the one by the sink for coffee in the am. This would be a great solution. Looking forward to a write up on your install.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #17

I too put safety plugs into my rear bed outlets.

I use a power strip connected into the 110 outlet under the front roadside seat.

That power strip is really something. Too bad it is around $50.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #18

Thats cool Rawlus! I was just looking at power strips today! Thanks for sharing this!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #19

Rawlus:

Where did you purchase your new front pedestal?

Thx,
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin View Post
Rawlus:

Where did you purchase your new front pedestal?

Thx,
I think I got these from PPL Motorhomes

But you can get them at almost any RV dealer, and dozens of online sites including Amazon. I used mounting cones top and bottom, they also sell a floor mount that is flush with the floor, but requires cutting a circular hole in the floor for the recessed divot for the tube. I couldn't do that due to the angle iron bar beneath the floor...

Tags
a-frame, frame