Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #1

Recent Trailer Modifications

Hi all,

I thought people would enjoy seeing some of my recent modifications. The first thing I did was get one of these, Our fence to the backyard leaves only an inch or 2 on each side so getting through with a car was impossible. Plus part of it is on an incline, this still isn't easy, but it certainly made things easier.

Now that I had it in the driveway the real work could start. We only do dry camping and we have a 6 month old so I needed to go from a 12v to two 6v to really increase my power abilities, as well adding a little space for electrical related stuff. I wanted to add a box, after searching far and wide I got this guy, the only problem was that there wasn't enough room for the box, the propane was in the way. In order to move the propane forward I need to change the way the jack worked so I did as I saw /u/handbuilder did and got a 3/4 coupler from home depot.

Now I have plenty of room for a box and had the added benefit of being able to raise and lower the trailer with way less effort. Here you can see getting ready to install the framing for the box.

Box installed, new 6v batteries installed. 5amp battery tender in there as well. Not sure if I should keep it connected at all times when stored, or if I should charge it and then just unplug it in between trips.

Almost done with the box, added a dryer air vent.

And of course a battery disconnect switch.

Now that the battery was done, I changed gears a bit to storage ideas. I wanted stuff in the front box to be accessible, but also knew that I had items I wouldn't use too often. I put in some home depot boxes, they fit nearly perfect, I cut the tops down the middle for ease of access. The bottom one has things I won't use too often. The top one will store wheel chocks, car mirror, tow hitch, drill related stuff. All the sorts of things I access on every trip. Originally I went with bigger boxes turned 90 degrees but found that they were too big, I returned them.

I also wanted a place to store some of the long awkward items I had, I saw another user do this, don't remember who to credit with the idea though.

Next up was appliance power. I'm a dunce when it comes to electrical, when I bought the thing I was under the impression the outlets would work on DC power, man was I wrong. I spent an hour near the fuse box, troubleshooting outlets, i learned about the gfi reset button blah blah blah. Finally I opened up the manual to read that the outlets only work on 110AC. So I got this guy, and my dad rigged it up so all I would have to do was tap into the power source for the radio and speakers which even a dunce like me could do.

I took out the microwave, disconnected the radio and tapped into where the radio power was coming from, not the radio itself as I saw that gauge wire was much smaller and had its own separate fuse in line.

Drilled a few holes a voila.

DC power in the cabin! I chose the top of the counter so the wires sticking out wouldn't get in the way of the walk way, i had to be careful of where I placed it due to how the trailer folds down, one of the walls rests near this spot. Now all I need was an inverter and I could run regular 110 appliances again.

If I did anything wrong or unsafe I'd love to know about it.

Thanks for looking!

alexcarey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
OYO

Nice.

That's a lot of work. Better go camping, you deserve it.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Head to Alabama Hills near Mt. Whitney this Thursday!
alexcarey is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, modifications, trailer