Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #41

Why not just get a high quality tent and and old military trailer (that you can modify)? That's what most 4-wheelers do. I don't see any benefits for you using the AFrame. You might check out a website called "Exhibition Portal". It's a very popular website for people interested in hardcore off roasting.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #42

exhibitionportal.com
Link
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensinc View Post
I never venture outside of the a-frame forum, but there must be some sort of new post list that everyone sees, then don't notice that we're talking about tiny a-frames.
There is a "new posts" button on the ribbon on the top of the page. It's how a lot of people browse the forums. There is a wealth of knowledge on the other sub-forums as well. Even if the information doesn't apply directly to the trailer you own. Lots of general RVing info, rally information, off-topic banter, etc... You should definitely check them out.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #44

Count me in as one of the supporters. I like your ideas. The negativity I'm seeing here is why I left places like Pirate4x4 and the Hamb. its your trailer, do what ya want with it. I'd love to see ideas you come up with. I'm a pretty handy guy, and an ASE master tech, so if you get stuck on the trailer mods, ask away and I'll try to help best I can.

Add to that, when ya head out to the west desert, hit me up. I'm in Grantsville. I'd like to see the jeep as well. Used to have a pretty solid 79 Bronco, sold it to get my current project, a 70 Torino Convertible.

Still got my 4wd Ranger (aka, the race car, tow truck, crawler) and we plan on hitting moab this fall. Just way to much else going on this summer.
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #45

A few things that you might also consider when cutting weight.

Ditch the two heavy steel 20 lb propane bottles and replace with one or two 11 lb or smaller composite bottles.

When the work is done, weigh the camper on a CAT scale to be sure that tongue weight >10% of the camper GVW. Balance is not likely to be a problem, but with the shorter wheelbase of your TV, it is best to be sure you are safe.

Have fun. I'm heading toward Moab Utah in about a week. I'll keep an eye out for you.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #46

I would keep one of the 20 lb propane tanks and ditch the 2nd. Remove the second hose and plug the line. Take pictures of the wiring and propane hook ups before removing the WH and furnace. Check the propane lines for leaks after removing the items. Enjoy your trailer the way you want to.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Why carry any propane?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
A few things that you might also consider when cutting weight.

Ditch the two heavy steel 20 lb propane bottles and replace with one or two 11 lb or smaller composite bottles.

When the work is done, weigh the camper on a CAT scale to be sure that tongue weight >10% of the camper GVW. Balance is not likely to be a problem, but with the shorter wheelbase of your TV, it is best to be sure you are safe.

Have fun. I'm heading toward Moab Utah in about a week. I'll keep an eye out for you.

I am going to be removing one of the propane tanks. That's 30-35 lbs.
the only things I use propane for are the fridge, stove, and bbq. Our last trip of 3 days didn't even empty one tank.

I'm going to weigh after I am done with all my mods and packed up for a trip. I spent the extra cash to get a hitch that delivers exact tongue weight.

A122BH Trailer : Pulled by Jeep Wrangler : Good 'ol SLC Utah
Harkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #49

With the wide availability of exchange propane tanks, that is a good plan. I'm interested in how you clamp down the single tank. Post some pics if you come up with something ingenious.

Sounds like you're getting this wrapped up.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #50

This is an easy way to just use one tank.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post

A simple and easy solution.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 05-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #52

definitely not what I'd do with my tt but then ours has been outfitted for dog shows. I'm sure some of my mods would horrify some others. Mod it out so it works for you and best of luck. cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #53

Now you tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post

Just got myself a set of Coleman J hooks to use to hold my soon to be one tank in place with a single regulator. If it doesn't work will go to two 11 Lb tanks. Yeah I am looking at loosing weight. Thinking of replacing the water heater with a Girard instant on. I do like hot water for washing hands and dishes. Also thinking of replacing the heater with a wave heater. Still trying to figure out to replace the cool cat with a lighter A/C. BTW pulled out the the Microwave and radio. Yup it is my trailer and I will do what I want to it.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, storage, water, water heater