Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

Remove Water Heater? Increase Storage

Has anyone ever removed their water heater? We will never use it, plus it will provide increased storage options and lighten our trailer. We pull our trailer with our Jeep Wrangler so any weight savings (no matter how small) are big for us.

I'm guessing it would decrease its value if we ever wanted to sell, but we got such a screamer of a deal and have no plans of selling anytime soon.

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.
Harkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

Our trailer is a A122BH
Old 04-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Having hot water is a plus for us and a big selling point when we had a popup. The only two things I would consider a down side, you've already said aren't a concern for you. I'd go for it if it works better for you.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

I would suggest you wrap it up and box it.

Make the mod if you can in such away that you can reverse it and reinstall the heater when time comes to sell.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would suggest you wrap it up and box it.

Make the mod if you can in such away that you can reverse it and reinstall the heater when time comes to sell.

X2
Old 04-30-2016, 03:06 PM   #6

That is the plan: Uninstall, box, store, and include with sale or install if new owner needs.

Has anyone gone through this process before of removing or replacing?

A122BH Trailer : Pulled by Jeep Wrangler : Good 'ol SLC Utah
Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #7

Ah...no...perhaps you sould be looking at a WDH...its a tad more logical...
Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Ah...no...perhaps you sould be looking at a WDH...its a tad more logical...
We are not so concerned with the trailer hitch weight, but the overall weight of the trailer. Our tow rig is a Jeep Wrangler with 6 inch lift, 37 inch tires, and loaded down with roughly an additional 400 lbs of armor, winch, bumpers, pro-rock axles, etc...

Our trailer weighs around 2250 lbs before we load up. With everything we are looking to remove (microwave, a/c, water heater) we hope to eliminate 100-150 lbs. which will allow better towing when we head to Moab, Uintahs, Utah's West Desert, etc... Though we have upgraded gears to 5.13 and will be installing a supercharger this summer, the jeep will still have trouble with hills.

As long as we keep our overall trailer weight below 2900 lbs, we sit below our max GCWR - so every bit of overall weight savings is a big plus to us.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

If you are noticing 100-150 pounds is making a difference in towing then imho you need a new tow vehicle. You should not notice that little change. When the time does come to sell not having ac, microwave or hot water will make a huge difference. Also the water heater empty can't weigh 10 pounds and then you have the opening on the outside you have to still worry about. Remove the ac and you have another hole to leak too. Sorry just my $.02
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
If you are noticing 100-150 pounds is making a difference in towing then imho you nee a new tow vehicle. You should not notice that little change. When the time does come to sell not having ac, microwave or hot water will make a huge difference. Also the water heater empty can't weigh 10 pounds and then you have the opening on the outside you have to still worry about. Sorry just my $.02
150 lbs is a near 5-6% overall weight difference. We also will NEVER use any of those 3 appliances; we are most likely going to remove the furnace, shower, and water filter as well. It allows us to have greater storage. In addition, if we were to be OVER our GCWR and were to be in an accident that was our fault, insurance would not cover our vehicle, trailer, or any damage we caused to another car/people/property. I like to play it safe.

Should removing all of these modern conveniences cost us $2,500 in value or so... that's a small price to pay considering we only paid $5,200 for the camper which included a generator we sold immediately after for $320. Net cost is $4900. I would also imagine that after we have made these modifications, there would potentially be a buyer who MIGHT appreciate the lighter trailer weight, increased storage, and Mods we have performed that is also a Jeeper/Crawler and doesn't need any Froo-Froo items. Perhaps I'm the only one.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #11

Just don't forget about all the holes that will be left. Like I said not trying to be a jerk or anything just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Just don't forget about all the holes that will be left. Like I said not trying to be a jerk or anything just my opinion.
I'm not sure what holes you are referring to? Do you mean the door that gives access to the back of the water heater and the vent holes for the furnace?
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

You need to sell trailer and just buy a tent!!
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #14

Lets see.................you are takeing all this stuff out to save wieght and increase storage.Unless you are storeing helium baloons in there,what you put back has to at least equal what you take out.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkev View Post
I'm not sure what holes you are referring to? Do you mean the door that gives access to the back of the water heater and the vent holes for the furnace?
Yes the water heater door, the heat vent holes and the big hole for the ac. And also you have to consider what you are doing to the tongue weight by removing things, of course depending on where they are it might not make any difference at all. To each their own.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #16

I'm surprised that so many of you are rather negative about plans that we have made that are specific to OUR needs. I thought this was a place to share ideas and help each other achieve their desired outcomes.

I understand that my way of doing things and how I want to use my camper is not the same as your way, but this seems more like an attack on our uses rather than providing suggestions.

When we remove these heavy appliances that WE DO NOT USE, it allows storage for clothes, food, emergency items, tools, etc. I'm going to bring all of those items no matter what, so why not remove items that I... and I ALONE will not use to allow greater storage.

Perhaps I need to find another forum that offers suggestions more catered to my style of camping. I'm sure there is a jeep forum out there where crawlers also want lighter trailers.

thanks for the suggestions from those that were supportive. Best of luck to all of you.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #17

It is YOUR trailer to do with as you wish. People are just pointing out things that they think that you may not have realized. Taking out 150 lps then putting 150 lbs back in is not saving weight. BUT you are able to bring more things that you want. As fas as the hwh, that would be the last thing that I would remove. But I agree with the microwave, if you don't use it then by all means take it out. The roof air conditioner might leave a rather large hole in the roof upon removal. Holes mean more places that rain might come in and ruin the roof.
Again this is your trailer, remodel it to fit your needs. But most of all have fun with what ever you do to it.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #18

We are not replacing MORE weight when we remove the appliances. We will be taking the same things as we did before. I don't see how that is not being communicated correctly. If I was at 2900 lbs loaded while all of these appliances were installed, then removed them, it would be a net loss of whatever all the collective appliances weight are. So now the food, clothes, drinks, etc now have a place to be stored. That is still a net loss of weight...

Our AC unit is also not on our roof, but inside the cabin. No holes to seal up.

I understand concerns of resale value, but that is not my concern as now the trailer is suited for me.

A122BH Trailer : Pulled by Jeep Wrangler : Good 'ol SLC Utah
Old 05-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Harkev, stick to your guns, it's your trailer, do with it as you wish. When other folks start paying for it then they might have some say so in what you do to it.

I do what I want to our 5er (as long as TOWTA says I can).
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #20

All I was trying to do was point out things you might not have thought of like holes in your roof or walls that have to be fixed correctly to not leak. I made it clear I was giving you advice BECAUSE YOU ASKED! If you don't want to hear answers to your question don't ask. There are a lot of people on here who know what they are talking about (not me really) and are going to let you know if you ask. It is your camper and by all means do whatever you want but don't get offended when you ask a question and get an answer. Again not trying to offend anyone just giving you the $.02 you requested.

Tags
heater, storage, water, water heater