Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #21

water heater

I've replaced a couple of them. Taking them out is not an issue, just make sure you don't create a blind loop in the water system that could freeze in cold weather. Hardest part of the ones I've removed is uncovering all the screws because they are usually covered with caulking so your not sure if the heater is stuck on the caulking or you missed some screws. Have fun.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #22

I had thought for a bit, to get something small enough to be towed by my JK....

I was looking at quicksilver aluminum trailers.
Under 1500lbs.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #23
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Harkev, stick to your guns, it's your trailer, do with it as you wish. When other folks start paying for it then they might have some say so in what you do to it.

I do what I want to our 5er (as long as TOWTA says I can).
X2! Go for it! Make mods that increase YOUR enjoyment and ease of use. The return on that is what's important!
Thinking outside of the box is great!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkev View Post
I'm surprised that so many of you are rather negative about plans that we have made that are specific to OUR needs. I thought this was a place to share ideas and help each other achieve their desired outcomes.

I understand that my way of doing things and how I want to use my camper is not the same as your way, but this seems more like an attack on our uses rather than providing suggestions.

When we remove these heavy appliances that WE DO NOT USE, it allows storage for clothes, food, emergency items, tools, etc. I'm going to bring all of those items no matter what, so why not remove items that I... and I ALONE will not use to allow greater storage.

Perhaps I need to find another forum that offers suggestions more catered to my style of camping. I'm sure there is a jeep forum out there where crawlers also want lighter trailers.

thanks for the suggestions from those that were supportive. Best of luck to all of you.
Harkev
It is one of the problem with this board when you post question about the A frame. you will get answers from some that have 10,000 lb rigs and removing 150 lb does not make any sense to them. You need to look at what the people are camping / living in and what kind of camping they are doing.
We are like you, never use the hot water. Tried it the first year but with only 20 gal water, the waste of a quart of water, to get hot water, make it unusable for us with the kind of camping we do. So I agree with you it is just wasted space and add weight, we do not need in our tents on wheels.
There is bypass pluming that we use so we do not have water in the tank. We do not need the space so have not removed it.
Made a table that has extra space. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-47833.html See post 5
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #25

Hey! I wasnt trying to be condesending either,its not like I have EVER left something the way it was when I bought it! A hint fir the screw holes,Get some #8 oval head self tapping stailess steel screws and #* or #10 stainless steel finish washers,dab some dicor on them and run them in the holes.They will give it a nice finished look w/o any rust streaks.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #26

What you are suggesting makes as much sense as removing your bumpers, car heater and spare tire because you haven't ever had a flat or used your heater or backed into anything. Use it for an entire year and then decide what to remove from Aframe. Your tow vehicle needs upgrading before you destroy the value of you camper
2011 Toyota Highlander
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
What you are suggesting makes as much sense as removing your bumpers, car heater and spare tire because you haven't ever had a flat or used your heater or backed into anything. Use it for an entire year and then decide what to remove from Aframe. Your tow vehicle needs upgrading before you destroy the value of you camper
Remember the camper belongs Harkev, not royboy334.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #28

I can assure you I'm not offended. My trailer, my money, my mods, my ideas. I just expected thoughtful and supportive help for removing these appliances.

I spent this afternoon removing them all and capping their lines. Easy-peezy.

No holes to cover up and I'm guessing my trailer is 150-200 lbs lighter now.

Thanks again for those who helped provide ideas for what my end goal was. If you'd like to see photos or have questions, feel free to PM me.

Happy Camping... And in my case: Crawling.

A122BH Trailer : Pulled by Jeep Wrangler : Good 'ol SLC Utah
Harkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #29

Truly - thanks to everyone with the help! I'm stoked with how it is all turning out.

And for those that don't like my ideas or see my logic in making my camper a better utility trailer for me, this thread does not apply to you.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #30

Don't care about the trailer, but always like to see jeep pics!!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #31

we did remove water heater to replace it, was easy
we also removed furnace for extra storage under seat. wrapped it and took pictures. we are now selling it, and will put it back in, do not know why people use the heater, we have a portable heater that is so much more efficient.

good luck, make sure to plug propane hose tight.
bbaker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Harkev
It is one of the problem with this board when you post question about the A frame. you will get answers from some that have 10,000 lb rigs and removing 150 lb does not make any sense to them.
I've always found that amusing. I never venture outside of the a-frame forum, but there must be some sort of new post list that everyone sees, then don't notice that we're talking about tiny a-frames. My favorite was an incredulous "your tv tongue weight max is only 350 lbs?" from some big camper owner that wandered in. Of course, I did upgrade the tv since then so I have a whole 500 lbs to work with now!

I was just considering removing the water heater last week. I used it once to see how that worked, but never again. I've also never used the furnace, but I'd like to keep that just in case. I'll be boondocking this weekend with lows in the 40s and might give it a try.

Storage is a premium for us a-framers, so I'm always looking for more! I also have the A122BH, and one thing I did was bolt a large tub to the front deck. That gives me some extra storage there, and I still have room for a bike or other items.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #33

you will gain a lot by removing the furnace, also if boondocking, the furnace will drain a battery quickly. we purchased the Mr. buddy to use, and friend has a portable propane heater that is great. out Mr. buddy works great also.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #34

Would love to see pics. Don't worry about resale value. Fit it to your needs. I have bigger than A frame but some of my mods to some people some would say would not be good for resale but I do not care. Please post pics for those of us that love to see mods.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #35
Canadian Member

We camped for quite a few seasons with our 1999 Coleman Santa Fe that had no furnace, no water heater, no A/C, not even a water pump - just the small 3 way fridge. None of the conveniences of modern day A Frames and popups. That included 2 or 3 years with very young children. It didn't bother us at the time. Thinking back, I can appreciate the desire for more storage. As we got a bit older we wanted those conveniences - especially the A/C.

Enjoy your trailer the way you want it. I just wonder if you considered any alternative trailers that you wouldn't have had to pull all the appliances out of. We used to travel and camp with our motorcycle and there are several small tent trailers that can be pulled by a motorcycle.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We camped for quite a few seasons with our 1999 Coleman Santa Fe that had no furnace, no water heater, no A/C, not even a water pump - just the small 3 way fridge. None of the conveniences of modern day A Frames and popups. That included 2 or 3 years with very young children. It didn't bother us at the time. Thinking back, I can appreciate the desire for more storage. As we got a bit older we wanted those conveniences - especially the A/C.

Enjoy your trailer the way you want it. I just wonder if you considered any alternative trailers that you wouldn't have had to pull all the appliances out of. We used to travel and camp with our motorcycle and there are several small tent trailers that can be pulled by a motorcycle.

Thanks for your reply! I wish I had looked at more trailers at the time before purchasing this. The AC, Furnace, etc... All were so appealing. Now that we have used it, reality set in and we don't need, nor want them.

In hindsight we should have bought a more basic trailer. Luckily we paid very little (in my opinion) for this trailer and overall we are incredibly happy with it. Just need to tweak it for our specific needs.

I'm sure when my wife and I are retired/older we may want to upgrade. But that's 10-15 years away.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #37

you will make it your own, and someday move up. we all have
you will be happy with what you have and can afford now.

will get more pics in 3-4 days. in K-Falls Oregon now, heading back to CA. wish I didn't have to go
Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #38

why not go to TSC and buy a enclosed trailer and put a mattress in it?
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #39
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Would love to see pics. Don't worry about resale value. Fit it to your needs. I have bigger than A frame but some of my mods to some people some would say would not be good for resale but I do not care. Please post pics for those of us that love to see mods.
This!
Note- I don't have an A-frame....I just like checking out all the mods people come up with!!!

And "Haters gonna hate" don't let them bug you!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
You need to sell trailer and just buy a tent!!
Lol... that's exactly what I was thinking too! :-)
Disa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, storage, water, water heater