Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Remove Water Heater? Increase Storage

Has anyone ever removed their water heater? We will never use it, plus it will provide increased storage options and lighten our trailer. We pull our trailer with our Jeep Wrangler so any weight savings (no matter how small) are big for us.

I'm guessing it would decrease its value if we ever wanted to sell, but we got such a screamer of a deal and have no plans of selling anytime soon.

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

Our trailer is a A122BH

Old 04-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #3

Having hot water is a plus for us and a big selling point when we had a popup. The only two things I would consider a down side, you've already said aren't a concern for you. I'd go for it if it works better for you.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

I would suggest you wrap it up and box it.

Make the mod if you can in such away that you can reverse it and reinstall the heater when time comes to sell.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would suggest you wrap it up and box it.

Make the mod if you can in such away that you can reverse it and reinstall the heater when time comes to sell.

X2
Old 04-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #6

That is the plan: Uninstall, box, store, and include with sale or install if new owner needs.

Has anyone gone through this process before of removing or replacing?

A122BH Trailer : Pulled by Jeep Wrangler : Good 'ol SLC Utah
Old 04-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #7

Ah...no...perhaps you sould be looking at a WDH...its a tad more logical...
Old 05-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
Ah...no...perhaps you sould be looking at a WDH...its a tad more logical...
We are not so concerned with the trailer hitch weight, but the overall weight of the trailer. Our tow rig is a Jeep Wrangler with 6 inch lift, 37 inch tires, and loaded down with roughly an additional 400 lbs of armor, winch, bumpers, pro-rock axles, etc...

Our trailer weighs around 2250 lbs before we load up. With everything we are looking to remove (microwave, a/c, water heater) we hope to eliminate 100-150 lbs. which will allow better towing when we head to Moab, Uintahs, Utah's West Desert, etc... Though we have upgraded gears to 5.13 and will be installing a supercharger this summer, the jeep will still have trouble with hills.

As long as we keep our overall trailer weight below 2900 lbs, we sit below our max GCWR - so every bit of overall weight savings is a big plus to us.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

If you are noticing 100-150 pounds is making a difference in towing then imho you need a new tow vehicle. You should not notice that little change. When the time does come to sell not having ac, microwave or hot water will make a huge difference. Also the water heater empty can't weigh 10 pounds and then you have the opening on the outside you have to still worry about. Remove the ac and you have another hole to leak too. Sorry just my $.02
Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
If you are noticing 100-150 pounds is making a difference in towing then imho you nee a new tow vehicle. You should not notice that little change. When the time does come to sell not having ac, microwave or hot water will make a huge difference. Also the water heater empty can't weigh 10 pounds and then you have the opening on the outside you have to still worry about. Sorry just my $.02
150 lbs is a near 5-6% overall weight difference. We also will NEVER use any of those 3 appliances; we are most likely going to remove the furnace, shower, and water filter as well. It allows us to have greater storage. In addition, if we were to be OVER our GCWR and were to be in an accident that was our fault, insurance would not cover our vehicle, trailer, or any damage we caused to another car/people/property. I like to play it safe.

Should removing all of these modern conveniences cost us $2,500 in value or so... that's a small price to pay considering we only paid $5,200 for the camper which included a generator we sold immediately after for $320. Net cost is $4900. I would also imagine that after we have made these modifications, there would potentially be a buyer who MIGHT appreciate the lighter trailer weight, increased storage, and Mods we have performed that is also a Jeeper/Crawler and doesn't need any Froo-Froo items. Perhaps I'm the only one.

Tags
heater, storage, water, water heater