Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

The long trip we took this summer included some rough roads that damaged the steel collar that holds the microwave, and also started to pull the microwave cabinet away from the wall. Our short term solution was to remove the microwave to prevent further damage. After living with the open gap where the micro was we decided we needed an extra cabinet more than we needed the microwave.

I reattached the cabinet to the wall and found a premade cabinet door that is a perfect fit at a local big-box home improvement store, along with some hinges that will carry the weight of the door I hope. Here are a couple of photos. If you've never had your microwave out, one shot shows what the space inside the cabinet is like. The other shows the 16 x 22 inch door installed and ready to be stained to match. It's not centered on the cabinet face, but that's by choice; offsetting it allows the door to open fully when the bed beside it is made up. I found a knob for the door that exactly matches the other 3 knobs in the trailer but haven't put it on yet.

I plan to line the inside of the cabinet with wood panels to cover and protect the wiring. Haven't got around to measuring and cutting them yet. Total expenditure so far: about $34.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2626024420.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	19696   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2281807672.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	19697  
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

I had the same idea last fall but the DW said "no way Jose". She has to have her microwave popcorn when camping or she gets grumpy. Women, go figure.
Good Luck with your mod. I look forward to your progress.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

I've had thoughts of doing this myself, but that darn little fridge works so well that after putting frozen meat into the fridge, i still need to thaw the darn stuff out after 3 or 4 days ... so what better way to do it, ... is in the micro.
I too had the separation problem at the same cabinate ... which was fixed at the dealer. Seems like FR only likes to put 2 or 3 drywall screwy things, how many held yours to the wall?

welcome back .. d-mo
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

I use my microwave as the bread box. With everything else shifting around in the cupboards, I know the buns aren't going to get squished. We usually dry camp, so the microwave isn't being used anyway.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo
I've had thoughts of doing this myself, but that darn little fridge works so well that after putting frozen meat into the fridge, i still need to thaw the darn stuff out after 3 or 4 days ... so what better way to do it, ... is in the micro.
I too had the separation problem at the same cabinate ... which was fixed at the dealer. Seems like FR only likes to put 2 or 3 drywall screwy things, how many held yours to the wall?

welcome back .. d-mo
There were two in each sidewall of the cabinet and two across the top. The top two and the pair on the right side (as you face the cabinet) had been pulled out of the wall by the force from the microwave being flung around on the bad roads. I have the identical screws the factory uses (Kreg pocket hole screws) so I put new ones in where there hadn't been any before and moved the existing screws to new locations where the wall was intact. Didn't take long, actually.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #6

I was debating yanking the microwave out of my unit even before I hauled it off the dealer's lot. Having the door break off (while trying to follow in thehamguy1's footsteps) pretty much made that a given though I haven't started yet.

Lee, I hope you'll post a pic or two and some commentary when you get around to framing in the interior of the cabinet.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #7

I removed the microwave (sold it on Craigslist) as we usually are dry camping anyway. Then I used tie backs to snug up the wires to the side. I wired the old microwave wiring down to the outlet for "cable" hookup (again, we are campers) for another 120 outlet. Then I built a drawer with KV bottom mount full extension drawer slides. Inside of that, I built another drawer which slid backwards (using European style slides mounted backwards) like a double silverware drawer so that you don't have to dig through to the bottom of the drawer to find your clothing. Made and stained simple front, handle. Looks like it was part of the original plan.
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #8

NWishome: can you post a picture of your setup?
Trjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Mostly Harmless

Sounds like the perfect solution. I second the request for photos.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #10

I'll be glad to take some photos. It's folded down in the driveway but will be putting it up in a few days to clear things out from last camping trip. Also found a plastic/rolling 3 drawer bin type cart at WalMart that fits perfectly under the table for storage. I turn it towards the seat when traveling so the drawers won't slide out and the to the front when set up. (That works if only one person needs to sit on that side of the table.)
NWishome is offline   Reply With Quote