Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Replacement Propane Tank cover

Has anyone replaced the vinyl cover for their tanks? I've found mine has become very mildew-ey and unsightly.

I was thinking something like this: Camco 40523 RV 20 lbs Propane Tank Cover (Polar White) : Amazon.com : Automotive.

Seems like a simple replacement, but I wanted to get any thoughts here before I bought it.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Seems pretty nice, alot better than the vinal covers.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

I got one of those hard cover. I use it during the winter storage and it is perfect to put the 7 pin thingy in there. Since I take off my tanks during travel, I don't use it in my trips.
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

I replaced mine with the Camco cover the year before last. Besides looking nice and being easy to clean, they're more convenient than the vinyl slip-overs because you only need to flip the hinged top up to get at the tank valves. The only problem I've had is that the hinged top disappeared somewhere in Alaska last summer, and I don't think one can just order a replacement top by itself. At least the dealer who sold it to me doesn't stock or even have an order number for it. I haven't tried contacting Camco about it yet.

Later edit: I was wrong, yay! http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40543-Wh.../dp/B00480BVQA
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I got one of those hard cover. I use it during the winter storage and it is perfect to put the 7 pin thingy in there. Since I take off my tanks during travel, I don't use it in my trips.
I have to ask. Why do you take your tanks off when you travel?

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post

I have to ask. Why do you take your tanks off when you travel?
When I got my A128S from the dealer, the tongue weight was close to 400 lbs already, my TV has a limit of 350 lbs. I want to take my bikes with me so the 70 pounds off from the tank is now for the bikes. Plus on set up, I use one of the tanks at the rear with an extension hose to my propane stove.

With creative load management and a full fresh water tank helps reducing the tongue weight; I was able to get it below 350 lbs:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-621958561.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	29012
My bikes for the tanks, that's why...
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

I just replaced my propane tank cover on Monday with a Camco cover. The vinyl one was in bad shape and was also stinky. The next one to replace is the cover for the spare tire.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Camco cover here. I trimmed the back some so the lines fit better and I used a small bungee to secure the cover.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I replaced mine with the Camco cover the year before last. Besides looking nice and being easy to clean, they're more convenient than the vinyl slip-overs because you only need to flip the hinged top up to get at the tank valves. The only problem I've had is that the hinged top disappeared somewhere in Alaska last summer, and I don't think one can just order a replacement top by itself. At least the dealer who sold it to me doesn't stock or even have an order number for it. I haven't tried contacting Camco about it yet.

Later edit: I was wrong, yay! Camco 40543 White Replacement Cap Kit for New Style RV Propane Tank Cover : Amazon.com : Automotive
I brought two replacement covers. The first time was because I wanted the hinged lid. The second time was because the hinged lid flew off and got ran over a zillion times at 50+mph. I did find a replacement lid from Camco online but decided to buy a new one since I wanted to switch to a black color cover.

Before buying the black cover Camco did send out replacement hardware at no charge. It was one thing to search for missing hinged lid on a busy street and another to search for the missing hardware. Before I forget - the reason my lid flew off was that the tech didn't secure it after opening up the lid.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
When I got my A128S from the dealer, the tongue weight was close to 400 lbs already, my TV has a limit of 350 lbs. I want to take my bikes with me so the 70 pounds off from the tank is now for the bikes. Plus on set up, I use one of the tanks at the rear with an extension hose to my propane stove.

With creative load management and a full fresh water tank helps reducing the tongue weight; I was able to get it below 350 lbs:
Attachment 29012
My bikes for the tanks, that's why...
Makes perfect sense to me.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Before I forget - the reason my lid flew off was that the tech didn't secure it after opening up the lid.
I lost 2 lids on my Niagara because the self-service tech didn't secure both screws on the cover. He had to pay for them as well.

That Camco hard cover is nice. I'll look into that when my unit gets here. Maybe a rivet and a short piece of fishing leader wire would secure it from loss the next time I, rather the tech, forgets to fasten it properly. .

It is also good to know about a hard cover for the spare. Maybe spending some time surfing the Camco web site for ways to solve other problems that don't exist yet will relieve my anticipation.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I lost 2 lids on my Niagara because the self-service tech didn't secure both screws on the cover. He had to pay for them as well.

That Camco hard cover is nice. I'll look into that when my unit gets here. Maybe a rivet and a short piece of fishing leader wire would secure it from loss the next time I, rather the tech, forgets to fasten it properly. .

It is also good to know about a hard cover for the spare. Maybe spending some time surfing the Camco web site for ways to solve other problems that don't exist yet will relieve my anticipation.
When I looked closely at the newest replacement cover hardware I was happy that it had changed slightly so there's a better chance of keeping it intact.

A member here on the forum shared a mod that he did. He cut a piece of plywood in an oval shape and added some type of handles. The cutout is placed on top of the tanks. This created a cubby area that he use for housing the sewer hose. Many of us have smaller tanks than the cover so this place for storage could be handy.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

So I ordered one. Of course, it wasn't until it arrived that apparently I ordered the 30# model. It'll still work for the 20s, but is taller and may not be a good match.

I need to move my propane tanks forward a smidge to make room, which requires a longer extension hose for the gas.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #14

so I did the camco switch myself .. and am pretty happy with the product. to prevent the lid flipping off if unscrewed .. for whatever reason ... just reverse the tank cover. I must have the new model, cause it survived a 1800 mile trip with no issues.
i am interested in the hard cover for the spare too .. but have never seen it ... anyone have pics?

d-mo
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #15

I also searched for the hard spare tire cover and came up empty.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote