Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #11
if the original equipment is not working properly, you should be filing warranty claims. otherwise, future buyers will continue to get the same junk installed.

Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
x2. Quickly figured our the WFCO was not doing what the manual said. Would not drop back to a 13.2 volt holding pattern after charging. Stayed at 13.7v. Installed a progressive dynamics external unit on its own 120V circuit, and flipped off the WFCO. Happy now for 3 years.

2017 T19QBHW
robhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
following this thread

Any photos of the installs?

Thanks, BP

2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
BP: I'll get some photos later today before I button up for the trip.

As for filing a warranty claim (as Rob Hagen wants), I'm not going to bother for several reasons:

- my 2 year extended warranty ended in April.
- I was not interested in replacing with another WFCO converter (what warranty would have done at best). I was also not interested in having some non-caring electrician do the replacement installation. I wanted to do it myself to ensure I had better quality components and better wiring practices.

WFCO has a pretty sorry reputation among those who understand these devices. It's a cheap Chinese-made converter with apparently little quality control. OTOH, there are literally millions of RV owners with WFCO converters that never complain or replace their converters. It took me 2 years to figure out and confirm that my WFCO converter was not working as specified - and I have an electrical background. It did do most of what the specs said it would.

The other issue for Forest River is - even if they wanted to switch to Progressive Dynamics for converters - could PD produce enough converters fast enough at their current standard? Progressive has a good chunk of the RV converter replacement market, but that is well less than 10% of the RVs produced. Trying to supply the OEM market would definitely change Progressive Dynamics as a company.

I realize you are unhappy with Forest River, and want to generate a movement to get them to fix their quality issues. I'm opting out because I have other causes I am more interested in, and I'd rather spend my time using my camper for camping.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
I just installed a dual power outlet so I can monitor the converter voltage and plug in a Fantastic Endless Breeze portable fan. I spliced it into the wires that come out of the converter and feed the 10 Amp circuit for the ceiling vent fan and dome lights.

I switched the converter off and then on again to reset the timer. For two days it was putting out 13.6 volts, then dropped to 13.0 volts, so it looks like it is working as designed at this time.

Of course, 13.6 volts will not properly charge the battery to full capacity, so I will need to continue to use my stand-alone charger that supplies 14.4 volts whenever I need full capacity. For me this is an acceptable procedure, but the PD converter swap is obviously a superior system since it does everything automatically.

2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

a-frame, converter, frame, wfco