Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #21

From what I understand, the screw on the bottom of the main breaker where the incoming shore power hot wire connects is also where I am supposed to connect the wire that feeds power to the converter (DC) side of the unit. In essence it would be like connecting the wires together with a wire nut meaning the converter would have power all the time, even if the main breaker was off. That scenario doesn't seem safe to me.
jnholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #22

OK, now I understand what you are asking, but I can't answer that. Sorry.

Update: I reviewed the wiring schematic for my WFCO and it appears to be wired as you describe. If so you are correct that the DC side would still be hot with the AC main turned off. I would interpret that to mean the AC main is intended to control only the AC side of the converter, not the entire converter. You would have to unplug to shut down completely. Interesting. I do want to point out this is just from my review of the schematic, I have not actually checked my converter. How was your old one wired?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #23

Additional update: My analysis above is NOT accurate. This morning I powered up my travel trailer and checked it. The converter does not operate if the main breaker is off. The converter/charger gets power through its own dedicated 15 amp breaker. This would indicate the entire power converter, except for the incoming power cable, is dead when the main breaker is off.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #24

Ok. I think that's what I am going to do also. Just seems safer and I don't need anything else to aggrevate my OCD. Thank you all for the help!!!!
jnholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #25

If you look at the way your WFCO is wired, the first breaker is the input from your power cord. I think everybody agrees on that, and that's what the Progressive Dynamic instruction sheet shows. A pdf of the PD instruction is available on their web site.

The converter is wired to a separate breaker for the AC input to the converter. By converter, I mean the section that produces 12V DC and charges your batteries. The box that holds the converter also has the AC distribution with circuit breakers and the DC distribution panel with fuses. These distribution panels are not part of the converter although the term converter is often used for the entire box.

There are 3 CB slots in the AC distribution panel. The 1st is taken by the input 30 amp breaker, which is full width.

The other 2 slots can be filled with up to 4 half width circuit breakers, one of which should be a dedicated breaker for the converter electronics. The converter breaker can be as small as 10 amps (or even less), but 15 amp breakers are more typical and more available.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, converter, frame, wfco