Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Chucka

Replacing torsion bar

I have a 2012 Rockwood A128S A-frame camper. It was purchased used last year from a dealer and after the first time we camped I discovered that the back right torsion bar was broken. I suspected something was amiss when I had a hard time raising the back roof panel when we first got the camper home. I have purchased a new torsion bar spring and am planning on installing it myself. It appears to be a straight forward procedure but I am looking for comments (or tips) regarding any snags I might run into.
jrkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

did you try using the search box at the upper right I'm sure there is some good information there to help you with this project. I cannot offer any info
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
Chucka

Torsion springs

Yes I did do a search for replacing torsion bars and very little useful information came. I am looking for more useful responses.
jrkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #4

I hope you get more useful responses, with that said journal your replacement steps with pics and post to the forum so others can gain from your experience. the search box can be like playing the slots sometimes you hit the jackpot other time not so.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

Please use caution as your installing. As you install, you will be putting tension on it like a big spring. Just be aware if it were to slip while you installing.
ccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

After one year we notice the roof assist torsion bar on the rear drivers side had slipped out of place and is crushing the side wall. Does anyone have step by step instructions?
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #7

Here is a semi-incomplete answer, but something.

Read and head and learn about this, if you are going into that upgrade.

On the A liner owners web site, alinerownersclub.org they have a DIY - Do It Yourself section. In that section, an article is posted that explains how to change the lift springs on an A liner. It is titled "Roofing It".

The well written article has pictures and explains the process, although note that some "manipulation" of the roof panels is needed.

The Rockwood A frame springs are probably similar, although I cannot answer to that. And, you can be sure that when those springs are new, they have high tension. It looks like the panels need to be straight up to release all tension for replacement.

This is an area that has no posts by Rockwood Aframe users, and probably with good reason. It is likely a dealer process. I decided not to venture into those springs, and added a lift actuator instead. I am now deliberating about adding a couple of gas struts to further supplement the lifting, although probably not needed.

Got bit by the mod bug...
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #8

I assisted my neighbor replace his on an Aliner. It requires at least two and preferably three people.
You disconnect the bungee cord and place that side verticle to relieve all tension on the sprng You actually go 105 degrees and lift out the spring.

Assembly is reversed and slowly lower the lid.
Hope this helps.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

I managed a fix to this on my own last week. You do need remove the bungee cords. I positioned my camper near the house and rested the A Frame roof panel against the house.
kwf1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
GeoPro Owner

I think the OP might be referring to the torsion bars on the trailers suspension.
bsinc1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #11

He was referring to the torsion bar used to relieve the weight of the a-frame roof panels. It is a problem reported y several owners. My neighbor had the wooden mount rot and pushed the whole corner apart.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote