Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #1

Rockwood A Frame vent fan cover

I have had problems with my vent fan latch staying locked while transporting the trailer on the road. The cover starts to loosen and I notice it in the rear view mirror. I needed to repeatedly stop, open the trailer, and lock the vent closed. Frustrated, I purchased two eye bolts, caulk, and a turnbuckle with hooks on either end. Pictured is my solution for my unlocking fan vent. Hopefully this will help others if they have similar problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_182038_resized.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	214480  
Rockwoodaframe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #2

Does your vent lid have the the stud fee the lock to latch onto? My screw popped out so I super glued it back in and it has been guys for over 2 years and 10k miles
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #3

Another option is to mount a Maxxair cover over the vent cover. While traveling the opening is oriented aft which directs air flow over the vent; when setting up I turn it 180 deg to face forward. Allows you to keep the vent open in rain.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #4

In response to your question about the stud fee to lock the cover, I have no idea. My Rockwood is A121, made in 2015.

The Maxxair cover is a good idea. I did not know that you can reverse the direction of that cover. That is a very good thing to pass on to others.

Since I was on vacation, I came up with a solution that worked well for me. I was hesitant about drilling thru the top but with proper caulking, it remains waterproof. I simply attach the turnbuckle before driving while towing the trailer. I remove the turnbuckle before setting up the trailer. A simple step added to my traveling.
Rockwoodaframe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodaframe2 View Post
In response to your question about the stud fee to lock the cover, I have no idea. My Rockwood is A121, made in 2015.

The Maxxair cover is a good idea. I did not know that you can reverse the direction of that cover. That is a very good thing to pass on to others.

Since I was on vacation, I came up with a solution that worked well for me. I was hesitant about drilling thru the top but with proper caulking, it remains waterproof. I simply attach the turnbuckle before driving while towing the trailer. I remove the turnbuckle before setting up the trailer. A simple step added to my traveling.
The Maxxair "vent covers" always face to the rear. If they are installed forward they will scoop the air and the wind will rip them right off. It is an addition that goes over your current vent and is mounted on the roof. With them you don't have to close the vent when it's raining, only if it's really blowing.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
The Maxxair "vent covers" always face to the rear. If they are installed forward they will scoop the air and the wind will rip them right off. It is an addition that goes over your current vent and is mounted on the roof. With them you don't have to close the vent when it's raining, only if it's really blowing.
On an A-frame, you have to mount the Maxxair vent cover to be reversible. It has to face rear when towing as stated above, and because of the roof slope, needs to face forward when camping to avoid scooping rain.

The forward-facing stock (Fantastic Fan) vent cover has to be latched closed to avoid being stood up by the wind. When I forgot to latch mine, I was very fortunate, neither the latch nor the support broke in the wind. Pulled over (on the interstate), popped up the roof and sides, reclosed and latched the vent cover, folded the roof and sides back down, and went on our way none the worse for wear (except my underwear when I saw the vent open in the rear view mirror). Needless to say, I have never forgotten to latch the vent cover since.

Because of the angle of the roof when set up, the vent cover can be left open nearly half way, and no rain will come in.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Itching to go . . .

Reaching the vent cover from the outside - on my high wall - is difficult. I'd need to stand on something. This adds another step to the setup.
I'd prefer a solution that could be accessed from the inside.
Anybody got one?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosure View Post
Reaching the vent cover from the outside - on my high wall - is difficult. I'd need to stand on something. This adds another step to the setup.
I'd prefer a solution that could be accessed from the inside.
Anybody got one?
Use the vent as it comes from the factory. If the locking latch (accessed from the inside) is broken, several have suggested fixes in this thread.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #9

I use the Maxxair vent cover too. I also have a 3-step step ladder, got it at HD, low profile when folded up, can reach the wing nuts on the Maxxair cover and is the perfect height to get into the bed of our Ram 2500 4x4. The only way for rain NOT to come in thru the roof vent, without the Maxxair, is to have it opened about an inch above the "dam". Otherwise any steady or hard rain will come in from "splash" off the roof, please don't ask how I know.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #10

Roof vent cover fix

I noticed there have been issues with keeping the fan vent cover down. I too have had issues with it staying down on the highway. On another thread there was a fix that I based the following fix off of using a turnbuckle and 2 loops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B314286B-A6C5-44A6-8CB4-7C4BF895A407.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	240625  
happy_camper_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

Looks like that would work I think I would have installed a maxi vent cover to eliminate the step of having to take the turnbuckle off and remember where I put it. lol
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #12

It does, but even with that I can see it flapping up a little bit on the highway. Good to hear that worked for ya
happy_camper_86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a frame, cover, fan, frame, rockwood, roo, roof, vent