Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Rockwood A122BH vs A127TH

Hello all,

I've never had a "camper" before and am considering a first purchase. After looking at travel trailers, pop-ups, and A Frames, I'm leaning towards either Rockwood's A122BH or the A127TH, primarily because of the "front cargo" area mounted on the frame and overall light weight (tow vehicle rated at 500 lb hitch/4,500 lb towing).

Does anyone have any personal experience with either model or pros/cons to consider? Searched the forum, but didn't find anything on either model.
thermalfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

I bought the A122 because of the permanent bed, its a lot more comfortable than sleeping on the trailer cushions and there is no set up. The other nice thing is the heated mattress!
My priority was sleeping comfort, not living space; I spend very little time inside of the camper during the day.
I would recommend finding a dealer that has both models and tell the sales person to leave you alone and spend some time inside of the campers, this will allow you to actually think about what layout will fit your lifestyle. Some sales people do not understand this and they get in the way of you making the right choice.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #3

I have no experience with the 122bh ... however i do own a A122. If the specifications remained the same as last year for this years model, specifically the location of the hotwater heater and potable water, combined total gallons is 26, I would be concerned about hitch weight myself. On my trailer the fresh water tank is mounted just before the axle, making the hitch wieght of my trailer close to 325 lbs. this is without the storage box, and the stuff that is thrown into it, such as BBQs and other camping paraphanalia.
However if this years model pushed the fresh water tank back over axle, i dont think this would be an issue, and make the trailer, with the extension box a little lighter in the front. These trailers are fairly heavy, mine tops in a 1.5 tons loaded, so a pretty hefty tow vehicle, in my opinion is a necessity. Don't get fooled by sales personnel who wish to sell you this unit because it is relatively light wieght ... because they are not. All the options make up for a pretty heavy little trailer, but a great purchase if you are able to tow.

d-mo ...
oh .. and merry christmas ..
Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Mostly Harmless

I echo the suggestion about taking time alone in the various models. Take along everyone who'll be regularly camping with you--you'd hate to buy a particular model when it was just you and/or spouse looking at it, then have to live in it with a batch of kids and the dog.

We were set on buying an A122 after our first look at the two models the dealer had at a sports show, and when we went back the next day to buy it we took about an hour to sit in each model and picture ourselves using each one according to our camping habits and preferences. As a result we ended up buying the A128 and haven't regretted it...(we're older, we read a lot, and so a variety of comfortable seating was a big deal with us). Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Whatever you decide, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Hardside line from Forest River, either the Rockwood or the Flagstaff sub-brands (they're identical). They're well equipped for the price and I think nicer inside (and less expensive) than the other two major brands of A-frame campers.

A suggestion before you sign on the dotted line: spend a lot of time crawling around and inspecting everything from fit-and-finish issues to entry and exit points for water/gas/electric services. Take a flashlight and look into everything. Lay under the unit and inspect the underneath carefully. Note down everything you're not happy about. Check how the wall and ceiling gaskets fit, both open and closed. Tell the dealer the specifics you want fixed before you'll take delivery and point them out to him/her. Recheck when you take delivery. I'm not saying these units are badly built, but RV assembly issues are an industry-wide problem; there are problem areas with all brands and models. You'll want to feel sure you're starting out ready for the road. Then enjoy the heck out of it. Come back here and show us pictures of your trips, ask questions, share tips. Welcome to the family!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Good points to consider.
thermalfrost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a122, a122bh