Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Rockwood A128S Electric Brakes function ok?

For the past 8 years I have towed a 7500# 25' trailer, Prodigy brake controller. Never had a problem with the brake controller. Sold the trailer and yesterday picked up a new 2013 A128S.

When leaving the dealer's lot I tested the A128S brakes while on gravel. I did not touch the auto's foot brake, only the manual Prodigy activation with Prodigy set on its greatest braking power (level 3). On testing I expected the A128S brakes to lock up and the tire to drag as I crossed the gravel lot. Did not happen, the tire continued to rotate. We hooked up the dealer's tow truck. Same thing. No lockup. We jacked one wheel and pulled the break away switch and with a bit of counterclockwise tire rotation (hand pressure) the brake immediately locked up.

The dealer adjusted the brakes a bit tighter and sent me on my way.

Shouldn't the A128S electric brakes lockup causing the tire to trag when applying full braking power from the controller while towing on gravel?

Thanks,
Neil.
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.ervin View Post

Shouldn't the A128S electric brakes lockup causing the tire to trag when applying full braking power from the controller while towing on gravel?

Thanks,
Neil.
Mine will lock up if I use the "manual" button on the controller and set the unit up with a high current/braking force. I back them off to avoid lockup -- I don't run them that way. I am using a Primus IQ.

I don't know if this is useful. Again, I have locked them up during set up.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
Mine will lock up if I use the "manual" button on the controller and set the unit up with a high current/braking force. I back them off to avoid lockup -- I don't run them that way. I am using a Primus IQ.

I don't know if this is useful. Again, I have locked them up during set up.
My Prodigy 3 does this also.

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a128, a128s, brakes