Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #1

Rockwood A192HW - Cannot open window

We have had our camper for over a year now and opening the window over the sink has sometimes been a problem. We have put lubricant in the track. Most times it will open okay, but occasionally it takes a considerable amount of force to get it to start moving. Once you get it started it opens the rest of the way okay.

Now today, for the first time I tried to open the window and no amount of force that I could apply seem to get it moving. It appears the top part of the window is caught on something. Any suggestions from anyone on what I can do to get my window open again? Have others had this problem and if so, how did you overcome it. Frustrated.

Macjack39

Old 07-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #2

I have not taken a RV sliding window out of the track but the ones at home have little plastic guides or what ever they are.

So your problem reads like one of them if your windows have them has broken and is now jamming the works.

If you can get it open do so a little better than half way and try to lift it out.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #3

Using any sort of wet lubricant will only attract dirt and dust.The best thing is a dry lubricant we use baby powder for sun roofs on cars.It stays dry it lubricates and it even smells nice.As for getting the window loose soak it with water to loosen up the seals and let it dry
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Google "replace sliding rv window" and you'll see a bunch of videos on how to remove the slider. Basically you remove a piece of U channel plastic that the slider sits on, by digging out one end and pulling it parallel to the groove. Once you get that out, the window drops down 1/4", and you can remove that too. Then clean everything up and hopefully you can get it to slide again. You will have to use WD40 to reinstall the plastic U channel underneath the window.

If your window is really jammed, it may be tough to get the plastic U channel out. Just lube it up before you try.

A word of warning though on the slider. I had a sticky corner slider and never was able to completely fix it by just cleaning and lubing. I eventually broke it by shutting it too hard. So I had an RV window guy come out and replace it. The new slider has worked perfect ever since. My conclusion was that the original slider was just too big. It certainly wasn't built very carefully, because the edge of the glass wasn't even parallel with the frame.

If you also can't get it to slide by just cleaning and lubing, probably the cheapest thing to do is to take the glass slider to a glass place, and have them grind off about 1/16" from the bottom. But you don't want to break it, because tempered, tinted glass, with radiused corners is obscenely expensive to replace.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

We have an A192HW also and have similar problems with the window over the sink. After unlatching, we have to grab the screen and window edges at the same time and give them a hard tug to the right. Once it starts to open we reclose the screen and the window opens ok the rest of the way. Don't try to pull the window open by tugging on the latch, it looks rather weak and would probably break. Our window has gotten slightly easier to open after opening it quite a few times.
Good luck with your A192HW, we like ours.
Joe in NH
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

Rockwood A192W - window

I agree with Swampweasel. Our's was hard to open also until we discovered we had to take the screen with it, then slide the screen back once the window opened. It does take some force!

Kent
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Last year at the International I had them fix the problem. It took them the techs about 30 minutes to figure out the problem. The gasket is a little to big for the opening they cut about an 1/8 of an inch off and now it works well. I do not recommend this as a solution as you could screw it up. This was presented as FYI only.
Its Cute but......
Total 87(2014) 58(2015) 77(2016) 95(2017)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
I agree with Swampweasel. Our's was hard to open also until we discovered we had to take the screen with it, then slide the screen back once the window opened. It does take some force!

Kent
I also agree. I could never open it from new. When I took it back I saw that they grab the screen at the same time. Amazing.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
Rockwood Premier A126

Our sink side window is a giant hassle to open. I hate that thing...
I always grab the screen with the window and still just about wrench out my back getting that thing to slide.
Often I only get about 6-8" open and it goes no further.

I think it's made too tight, whether it's gasket, glass or hole size.
I might try the baby powder idea, but am worried to do anything that would make it worse...

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Our sink side window is a giant hassle to open. I hate that thing...
I always grab the screen with the window and still just about wrench out my back getting that thing to slide.
Often I only get about 6-8" open and it goes no further.

I think it's made too tight, whether it's gasket, glass or hole size.
I might try the baby powder idea, but am worried to do anything that would make it worse...

Deb
If u state that u can open it 6-8" and it's still stuck something must be bent with the track or track might be twisted.

Tags
rockwood