Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Explore

Rockwood's First Hardside A-Frames

Hi A-Framers

A newbie here. My wife and I are planning to buy a pre-owned Rockwood folding A-Frame similar to the A122S (a 12' box with front storage)

Does anyone know what year Rockwood first started selling folding A-Frames?

Your answer/comment will help me do more research on earlier models of folding A-Frames.

Thank you in advance.

Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

I bought one in January of 2011 and was told they had just started marketing them. I don't think there are any Rockwood or Flagstaff A-frames dated before then. There've been a lot of improvements since mine came out; I'm bordering on jealous!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Explore

Thanks hamguy1. I think your right about 2011, I can't seem to find any Rockwood/Flagstaff A-Frames for sale before 2011 but I was wasn't sure.

What improvements do you like over your 2011 model? Are they structural? ... or more conveniences such as ??
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Mostly Harmless

They're cosmetic and convenience improvements mostly. There are more floorplans now than there were back then (only three then I think), plus there's a new "high wall" model, which has a much nicer kitchen area than the regular models. The new tan and black color scheme is very nice looking. The latest models have an operating window in the door and two more bubble windows. The power cord attachment is much better than the way the cord was run in the earlier models. The new models have a digital thermostat that is more accurate than the one in the original models (mine lets it get way below the set temp, then runs the furnace until the temp is way above, seesawing back and forth all night). The furnace fan in my friends' 2014 model seems much quieter than mine. There are pull-out drawers in the cargo compartments on the newer models--you have to reach in and fish for your stuff in the original models. The new models appear to have a larger water pump. The stereos in the older models were almost worthless, the new ones are better and include USB ports. The original models did not have an outside front storage bin or the bike holder/toy hauler options that are available now. That said, I've had three summers and about 20,000 miles of pretty much trouble-free enjoyment with my 2011, so I can't really complain. It's still dry in a storm, warm in a chill, comfy to camp in, and a pleasure to tow. People still slow down or stop when they see it at a campsite. If it's not as pretty as the new ones, well, it was cheaper to buy too. I guess it all evens out. I hope you have fun looking for a used one and even more fun after getting one! P.S. Look at the post thread "First Trip in the New Camper" to see the new color scheme.

When you're looking around, you should know that the Rockwood and Flagstaff brands are identical except for upholstery colors.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Explore

THANK YOU!!! for your most comprehensive information on the differences between your 2011 Rockwood and later model Rockwood and Flagstaff A-Frames. Your information has saved us tons of research time and will certainly have us looking at the 2012-13 model years, primarily because of the outside front storage bin and two bubble windows in the dining area. Also, the other cosmetic and convenience improvements you mentioned make our choice for either a 2012-13 Rockwood or Flagstaff a no brainer.

We hope anyone interested in buying an A-Frame (like us) or those thinking about upgrading to a later model will find thehamguy1's information helpful and informative.

Two Thumbs Up thehamguy1
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #6

Lee, the customized cabinetry you two have in yours still makes me swoon! FR doesnt hold a candle to what you did! hee!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Lee, the customized cabinetry you two have in yours still makes me swoon! FR doesnt hold a candle to what you did! hee!
Thanks, Tamara. I have to say the extra storage space is still the best of the mods I've made to Rocky. Sure cuts down on the clutter, especially on long trips.

Most of the changes we'll be making from now on will probably be decorative ones, like the decals you added, or the brighter curtains people are showing off on the A Frame Campers group on FaceBook. Thanks for putting us on to that group by the way. You might tell Camp4Two and Mountain Goat about that bunch of nice folks.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator

Tags
a-frame, frame, rockwood