Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

Roof Actuator Preventative Maintenance

In a few days I will take delivery of a new 2018 (leftover) T21TBHW. I have read every actuator post on the forum and so am conversant with the issues.

Since this unit has been sitting on the dealer's lot for awhile (in Iowa), I'm simply going to assume there is water and perhaps rust inside the actuator. During the DPI, of course I will raise and lower the roof. Once I get it home I am going to tighten the screws, coat the housing (I've considered everything from plasticoat to a horse condom!), and put a boot on the arm as has been suggested by the very savvy forum members. What I don't want to do, though, is to seal in the preexisting water in the process.

Any suggestions short of dismantling the motor (for now) would be greatly appreciated. I thought of initially fitting a plastic bag over the housing to see if I get condensation which would indicate there is moisture inside, but I want to drain it not condense it.

Many thanks!
bruc33ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
OYO

Some are different than others, but on mine you can remove the bottom and inspect/dry/lube. Just be careful not to damage the rubber gasket.

Good luck and enjoy your new A-frame!
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #3

If you have doubts, replace it with one from Windy Nation for $85. I use 1/2 of a tennis ball on the shaft to keep the rain out.
Czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #4

Where are you putting the 1/2 tennis ball, on the top or bottom of the shaft? Pictures?
TrailerTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #5

I cut the tennis ball in 1/2 and drill a hole in the center of one of the halves slightly smaller than the shaft diameter. Then, I disconnect the shaft from the upper mount and slide the 1/2 tennis ball, open side down unto the shaft and then reconnect the shaft to the upper mount. Then I slide the 1/2 tennis ball down the shaft to cover the top of the actuator and keep the water out. When you raise the top, the tennis ball will go up with the shaft. Just slide it down to cover the top of the actuator.
Czars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czars View Post
I cut the tennis ball in 1/2 and drill a hole in the center of one of the halves slightly smaller than the shaft diameter. Then, I disconnect the shaft from the upper mount and slide the 1/2 tennis ball, open side down unto the shaft and then reconnect the shaft to the upper mount. Then I slide the 1/2 tennis ball down the shaft to cover the top of the actuator and keep the water out. When you raise the top, the tennis ball will go up with the shaft. Just slide it down to cover the top of the actuator.
Think I'll try the down-'n-dirty method first: Slit the ball from the drilled hole to the end, slip it onto the shift, then superglue the slit closed... or duct tape it closed if I really feel inspired.

Tags
maintenance, roo, roof, vent