Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

roof leak

OK, we just had a huge thunderstorm roll through with high winds and a massive dump of rain in a short time. The aframe was left up so when the storm passed I went out to see how bad things were. No damage. But a sprinkling of water on the microwave counter. Didn't come in from previous area because there was also some on the floor and on the stove top. Considering the wind and rain intensity, not bad but is there a way to get the peak to seal better to avoid leakage in the future? The water was in a straight line right under the peak so that's where it came in.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #2

Are you certain the roof halves are firmly "clicked" together? Sounds silly to ask but in the first year of owning mine, I just assumed it always would, otherwise it wouldn't latch, right? Naw - it would still latch but the seal wouldn't be as tight at the peak because the roof wasn't all the way up 100%. It's never leaked except when I left the window slightly open and the rain blew in that sliver of space....if unsure, go Inside and push the roof up (while setting up, inside) hope this makes sense.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #3

I thought it was but I'll check tomorrow since we're in between storms pretty much most of the night. Not sure about a click but I was fairly certain it set into place when I set it back up when we returned from our last camping trip.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #4

I'll cross my fingers it's something as simple as that....jist step inside and give the rear roof a firm push up before securing your latches. Hope your storms pass by with little incident.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #5

There may be a short gap in the apex seal. Mine has a gap on the same side that lets a bit of light through.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #6

My wife and I just bought a 2016 T12BH and set it up in the back yard. Slept in it twice and thoughtfully went through all our gear, from years of camping in tents to big trailers and most recent tenting, with plans to "get out there" this weekend. Few sprinkles over the past week with heavy rains last night and again today. Went out tonight for a few last minute items and sat on a wet cushion, front corner, door side. In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "ARGH!!!"

I had been looking out for leaks and unfortunately found one, should have been looking for a winning lotto ticket! In any event, both horizontal and vertical cushions were wet and the piano hinge seemed damp. The front curtain which comes down to cover the roof/front wall joint was dry. There were a few dropplets of water on the roof, very near the corner, above the wall joint, above the level of the door.

Handbuilder, I read your words of wisdom and noticed that when I push the peak apart, it gives a bit but doesn't "click or clunk" into place. Should it? I'll be checking with our dealership in the morning.
King Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

I don't know that it's supposed to click/clunk into place, but it seems like mine does. It'll go up and when I give it a final push it seems to catch and click together nice and secure. There have been times I didn't and I noticed a sliver or gap of light coming in....thankfully havent experienced any roof or window leaks.

Keep in mind, I bought mine the second year Forest River came out with them... dealers were still learning about their new product line. haha Maybe those who bought their 2011 models (and who still have them) might also chime in on their roof securing experiences now that they've got a few years under their belt with them... we early owners networked and supported each other thru the growing pains of the new product line. LOL

Definitely have your dealer check put the leak, don't offer a solution, just see what they have to say about it.

I have had water come in the side windows that I forgot to close and the wind blew the rain thru the screen. Haha

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 AM   #8

We also had h2o running across micro wave cabinet after hard driven rain. Caulk was bad at peak of side window frame. h20 would get in only with hard rain. h20 would travel down in side window frame till it got to bottom then weep out, travel across wall to hinge then on to cabinet top. I put clear duct tape at top of window frame as a temp repair. just got back from dealer all, new caulk works great. t12ddst 2014 all repair under warrenty
kathyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #9

We had the same problem earlier this year. Took it back to the dealer since it was still under warranty and they replaced the gasket. We haven't had it out in a storm as bad as the one where we had the leak, but it hasn't leaked since. We'll have to be sure to give the rear roof a push to be sure it is closed completely next time we're out. Thanks for that tip!
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #10

Thanks for the words of wisdom and for sharing your experience. Contacted the Dealer and they were very helpful. They wanted us to bring it yesterday but we were unable to do that; besides the fact that WE ARE GOING CAMPING! No rain in the forecast so we'll get it in next week.

Thanks again.
King Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmebrat View Post
We had the same problem earlier this year. Took it back to the dealer since it was still under warranty and they replaced the gasket. We haven't had it out in a storm as bad as the one where we had the leak, but it hasn't leaked since. We'll have to be sure to give the rear roof a push to be sure it is closed completely next time we're out. Thanks for that tip!
Well, we had a thunderstorm last night and the roof leaked in the same places as before. I followed Handbuilder's advice and gave the rear roof a push when I heard we had rain coming, but it didn't help. My husband wants to take it back to the dealer on our way home but I'm hoping someone will have another tip for me so we don't have to take it an hour out of our way. Thanks everyone.
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof