Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Roof problem?

We have a Rockwood 128S we bought last July. Switched from a 20 foot Sunliner TT. I love the forum but I am paranoid reading the problems some people are having(me, not my husband)! We have only used it 4 times because of winter here and store it in the garage. This has been bothering me and I know the clock is ticking on our warranty. When on a trip last fall I was sitting on the edge of the bed. I looked up at the 2 end spots of the peak. I could see light at both spots. We did have heavy rain one night and nothing leaked in but I'm concerned. Can anyone else verify if they can see light and if they think this is a defect?
wsnycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnycamper View Post
We have a Rockwood 128S we bought last July. Switched from a 20 foot Sunliner TT. I love the forum but I am paranoid reading the problems some people are having(me, not my husband)! We have only used it 4 times because of winter here and store it in the garage. This has been bothering me and I know the clock is ticking on our warranty. When on a trip last fall I was sitting on the edge of the bed. I looked up at the 2 end spots of the peak. I could see light at both spots. We did have heavy rain one night and nothing leaked in but I'm concerned. Can anyone else verify if they can see light and if they think this is a defect?
Ours doesn't leak, but I've never seen light there. Was it an especially bright day?
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #3

No it wasn't a bright day and the light wasn't either. If I didn't have the curtains and blinds closed I probably would not have noticed. But when I happened to glance up I saw just a dim light. At first I wasn't sure if it was from the outside. Then I looked up at the left side at the peak over the door and could see that it was dimly coming in on both corners. I didn't have any inside lights on.
Thank you for responding
Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #4

Yes we see light sometimes at the pitch of the roof, sometimes more then other times, and depending on how the trailer is setting, sometimes where the side walls line up on the roof, we will see light there also. All of these points have over lapping parts so no water should enter. In high winds and rain it is possible to get a few drops of water but never had more then that. We are on our 4th year with over 200 plus nights camping. I would say not to worry.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Thank you so much 1A, I am very relieved to hear that. When we purchased our A-frame we were not informed of an available extended warranty. I heard about it on here too late. In fact we were not offered any extended warranty. And since we only camp for 4 months It does not give you much time to observe defects or problems.
We do love the A-frame so far. And I really appreciate you taking time to respond. Happy camping! Wsnycamper
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

Thats not a defect and its very common with all brands of Aframes. You may see light where the top of side walls mate with the roof or the front roof section lays over the rear roof. The roof is pretty wide and not perfectly flat so thats why there is a compression gasket to help seal the apex of the roof. I use a product on that seal, 303 Rubber Seal Protectant and Conditioner for Weather Seals, available on Amazon. It helps to condition the seal and keep it soft enough to keep a pretty tight seal.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Many of our A Frames have a small opening on both edges of the roof when up. Someone mentioned that they saw insects coming in so they put some cotton balls in the space. I don't think it would be a water problem unless the wind was blowing hard and the rain coming in sideways.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the tips. This is new for us. We camped for 30 years in a solid 1987 Sunliner. We needed something easier now and went with the a-frame instead of a regular pop up. Im learning a lot on this forum and have now gone back and read some older posts. If I have any problem with insects I will try the cotton balls. We did have a battery problem and water heater problem. Service took care of both and they were miner.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #9

I've seen light too but no problems with mine.
Travel and have fun.
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #10

Thanks, I am satisfied that the light is normal. And we were in a heavy rain storm and no water came through. We are looking forward to several camping trips this summer and I am enjoying all of the useful info and tips on this forum.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #11

Because the roof panels move and are sealed by phone they don't close tight. You will have light coming in. It is the nature of the beasties we love. I have seen users go ahead and on the outside frame of the roof panel add pipe insulation to keep out bugs and block light. Of course, they have to put it on and take it off every time they set up or break down.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Just give the rear roof panel a push

We have a roof lift on our Flagstaff T21FKHW. Since the lift is only on one side of the rear roof panel, sometimes the unlifted side does not go up quite as far as the lifted side so light can be seen at the peak. Easy fix, just give a small push on the unlifted side and presto, it goes up another 1/2" or so and the gap at the peak is gone. We have begun "helping" the unlifted side with a _slight_ upward push as the roof goes up and that causes the two sides to go up evenly and have no gap when the lift motor stops.
NNM476X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof