Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Roof Strut Mount Pulling Out

Brand new Rockwood A122. Took it out for first trip for the eclipse.

While in camp I noticed the bottom mount of the gas strut to the front roof panel was slightly bent and some screws to the mount are stripped out. I re-tightened the ones I could.

For a brand new trailer, I've discovered this one is beat up. The last one on the lot, I suppose it was demonstrated a number of times. Perhaps an uninformed potential customer or two tried operating the pop-up incorrectly.

Anyway, has anyone seen anything similar? What can be done? I'm considering adding a mount plate on both sides of the trailer wall to strengthen the mount.
jbluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

Time to talk to your dealer for warranty work....this should not be happening.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

Have picture? I think I had same issue. I was installing a water sprayer and removed the shelf under the sink. I realized there was a block of wood that was pushed out but realized it was to distribute the weight of the gas strut mount mounted outside. I unscrewed the mount then had my dad put pressure on the block from inside then re attached the screws and they sucked the block of wood to the wall.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

I'll have to get some pics to share here AND with the dealer.

No block for this mount. It's right behind the back pad for the bench seat on that side. That's why I'm thinking I need to reinforce the mount somehow. Seems to be a bad design.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbluther View Post
I'll have to get some pics to share here AND with the dealer.

No block for this mount. It's right behind the back pad for the bench seat on that side. That's why I'm thinking I need to reinforce the mount somehow. Seems to be a bad design.
Interesting. I am curious about the photos.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

Figured out the problem. The mount was in the wrong place! It was mounted too low so when the roof is lifted the strut went beyond it's length and it pulled out the mount from the wall of the trailer.

You can see from the pictures, that the strut (not attached so it is at it's full extended length) could not reach the old mount holes.

Luckily the mount itself was not bent as I suspected. I moved the mount in about 1 cm in from full extension (so that I would get push all the way through raising the roof), filled the old holes with silicone, and it appears we're good to go.

Having never owned a travel trailer before, and buying this one new, I'm quite disappointed with the build quality. I know it's "cheap" and weight is kept to a minimum, but my unit at least feels like it was the last one built on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_102045.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	150603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_102100.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	150604  
Old 09-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #7

Great that you figured it out.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

It's still dealer time....this should not be happening....I would be very upset with the issue.

Tags
mount, roo, roof