Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Screen door?

Has anyone added or come up with a way to create a screen door on your A-frame? It would add to the cross ventilation. Just curious.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #2

I have a trip planned for October and am in the process of figuring out how to velcro the upper door area for the same reason...I feel too closed in when the weather is nice and I get tired of hearing the Create a Breeze fan. Since the door is split, I will try strips of velco across the top and sides, sandwich in the piece of screen so it can be removed easily, then just prop open the upper door/keeps dogs in...on my list of things to do. Let us know if you figure out a good option.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

I just bought this on eBay and installed it yesterday. I had to cut it for length and width. I think it's going to work great. I paid $8 for it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KK...iBL&ref=plSrch
Droes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #4

I use a Magic Mesh magnetic screen door. It's been up for several years. Super handy. It allows light and fresh air in while keeping the bugs out. I leave it up all the time, never removing it when I fold up the trailer. I did tailor the sides to fit the door by folding each panel over on itself (the folds appear as long vertical lines). It was an easy and inexpensive way to give the A-Frame an easy fix full length screen door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_204801.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	86554   Click image for larger version

Name:	1439647954541.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	86555   Click image for larger version

Name:	1428712710122.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	86560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150501_201550.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	86566   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150501_200557.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	86569  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:58 AM   #5

Every time I see pix of the interior of your A-Frame, I am in awe ...

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 AM   #6

I made my own magic mesh screen for just the top part of the door using Velcro, magnets, washers and a bit of super glue. Cost me about $6 at Home Depot. I don't know why the mfg doesnt include a screen...
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM-AZ View Post
Every time I see pix of the interior of your A-Frame, I am in awe ...
I don't own a A-frame, however, we had a Jayco pop-up for many years. I agree with you--what a cozy, warm interior. The owner did a super job on this trailer.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #8

Hi handbuilder!
Did you attach the sides of your Magic Mesh screen door to the sides of the camper's door frame in any fashion? I would imagine that it might pull away from the staples/glue when you fold the side panel down in taking the camper down.
Or did you leave the sides of the screen door loose and not attached?
Beautiful photos of your Aframe!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

Magic Mesh worked great for me too...I cut to slightly larger than size, folded over the edges, and sewed on Velcro for the sides and top. There are different qualities of mesh...some are more hefty than others.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Hi PegKen,

the Magic Mesh is velcro'd on the outer sides and at the top. I placed the velcro strips on the inside door frame and above the door. The door folds with the trailer, there's been no need to remove it at all. It's been up for several years and I've only had to reaffix the velcro on one side about a week ago...its held up looooong time for as much use as it gets!

My friend has an A-Frame and she removed the small decorative cloth covered header above the door to place the Magic Mesh underneath it & it lasted a days use before they tore it out (it was too tight) it looked neater than mine however mine is still hanging.

I made it a tad too narrow so my advice is what Vic did & next go round, I would size it slightly larger.

Thanks for the nice note about my trailer interior, Dan & TSchleder! I am always fiddling with little systems inside. As Iong as the decor remains functional, maintains organized space and easy (quick) set up - I'm good with that.... that's why the Magic Mesh has worked for me, it can stay up when the trailer folds and I don't have to try to fit it to the door every time I use it

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #11

Handbuilder,
I'm curious about what happens when you close down the side with the door panel. I find that it's tricky to fold it down while holding the top portion of the door with my hand (or head!) and then step thru the bottom portion once it's lowered all the way.
How do you do this and work around or thru the Magic Mesh screen? I'd love to see a video of how you do this...but that's probably unrealistic.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #12

When I prepare to bring the trailer down for travel, I unlatch the two rear roof latches first.

Then I drop down the kitchen side (streetside) wall and turn around and unlatch the two door parts.

While standing inside the trailer, Close the bottom half of the door.

Unlatch the front curbside latch and remember to bring in the top half of the door as the wall is gently lowered to rest on top of the other wall.

Meanwhile take note that the upper half of the dutch door is pushed over (so that it is in the "open" position (but it's laying flat) so then I flip it up and over to the closed position as I back out of the trailer, reaching for the lower door half to let myself out.

While standing on the exterior step, I then reach under the folded upper door half and spin the small plastic lock around to secure it, tp prevent it from bouncing while enroute.

Then I close the lower door and bring down the roof panels. Lock the doors and the latches and bring the grab bar over and across the door -now I am good to go once the roof panel is securely latched.

Because the Magic Mesh has two halves and parts in the middle, I am able to do this all in in the doorway opening. The more you use your trailer, the more comfortable you will be with your routine.

For me, the "a-ha" moment was in discovering it was easiest to unlatch both the rear latches first (I am short and have zero reach), then reaching over to unlatch the front streetside latch to drop down the streetside wall.

I hope that makes sense? It happens pretty fast.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmebrat View Post
I made my own magic mesh screen for just the top part of the door using Velcro, magnets, washers and a bit of super glue. Cost me about $6 at Home Depot. I don't know why the mfg doesn't include a screen...
Rmebrat:
Could you give me a few more details on your screen setup?

I cut screen to size for upper door today and from HD put up one strip of magnet tape over door, set screen edge over it, then a small strong magnet. However, the magnet strip was pitiful, wouldn't hold more than a paper clip so back to HD tomorrow for something better. I don't want to entire door covered as the dogs will not try to push thru a screen to come and go. They are self contained with snow fence around my camp area so not a worry there. I just like the idea of keeping the upper door open esp in the evenings.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #14

OMG! I'm so sorry I didn't see your question until now!! I attached the top of the screen with Velcro tape under the decorative valance over the door by removing the two screws, sticking the Velcro to the wall and the screen and the screwing the balance back on. I added a shoe lace to use as a tie so we can roll the screen up and tie it out of the way. I bought small, round magnets that are pretty strong at HD and Gorilla glued them to the structure and sewed the washers to the screen with a quick whip stitch with a needle and strong thread. I used 8 magnets and washers.

I'll take some pictures next time we're in the camper - the weekend of Oct 9 for some fall color camping - and post them.

I hope this helps!
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #15

Thanks for your update. I am also leaving for the Carolina's, Virginia and Ohio on October 11th. Hope to get some nice Fall pics along the way ! If I can get some better magnets at HD I will consider that with the washers. I had thought to place some velcro in strategic places around door frame, stick on the screen then velcro over to hold in place but I like your idea better.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #16

I have used the magic mesh, with a thin adjustable rod at the top. The rod fits into cord minder cord clips that came as peel and stick.
mammy710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #17

Love your A Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I use a Magic Mesh magnetic screen door. It's been up for several years. Super handy. It allows light and fresh air in while keeping the bugs out. I leave it up all the time, never removing it when I fold up the trailer. I did tailor the sides to fit the door by folding each panel over on itself (the folds appear as long vertical lines). It was an easy and inexpensive way to give the A-Frame an easy fix full length screen door.
We have an A 122 S. Although we've owned it for a couple of years, haven't been able to use it much so we feel like we're still new to this. We love what you have done with yours and you have inspired us to work on ours. We really need a screen door to help contain our three dogs.

It looks like you removed your table. Just wonder if you like it better that way.

If you have advice - where to pick up some of the things you have added - like your shelf (which we love) - we would love to hear from you.

We would like to know how you are attaching things to the wall. We're afraid of damaging our walls so we haven't done anything like that.
Patty and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #18

Hi Patty and Sharon!

Yes, I love NOT having the large table there. It creates a nice sitting area to visit and relax. I also removed the back cushions in the dining area as it allows more room to sit back more casually.

I used Falsade backsplash tiles (attached with a light adhesive spray) in the dining area to protect the walls in the dining from dog/crate abuse when he travels with us.

I use Command Hooks to hang pictures on the walls. I use magnet bar to hang things on the stove and Gear Ties to hang things elswhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_160258.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	102771   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150620_083540.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	102772   Click image for larger version

Name:	1430079507537.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	102773  

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 03-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Hi Handbuilder,
I already used the magnet screen door on my back door for my dog and plan on installing one on my new camper my ? For you is;
What did use to apply the writing on the walls and the branches to the Celling?
Thank you,
Steven&Jax 😊🐺
StevenT231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #20

Hi Steven, the writing on the walls is actually vinyl decals with adhesive backing. They are easy to apply and remove. You can find similar art and quotes at local stores and on line.

1967 Newell Motorcoach

Tags
door