Old 05-21-2019, 08:47 PM   #1

Screen for A/C Vent on A213HW

I have the vent screens by Camco for water heater, refrigerator and furnace. However, I have not found anything for the air conditioner vent. Does it need covering? If it does, what do you cover it with and how? I can't put anything over it on the outside because of the mount and arm to raise the roof. Also, the cover is "glued" to the trailer with some kind of caulk or something and cannot be easily pried loose - I tried. I thought about taking it off and putting a screen of some kind on the inside if needed, but I hate to maybe damage the cover or paint getting it off if it isn't necessary.

Another question: In front of the a/c inside the trailer is a round "drain" like thing that goes through the floor. The holes in it are big enough for a bug to get through. Does anyone cover it? If so, what with?

Thanks in advance for your help. I love this forum and have learned so much from all you wonderful people!

MHManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

I have the Flagstaff version of this one, 2018 year. I don't have any kind of "drain" looking thing anywhere in the floor. What year is yours, and can you possibly get a picture of it? I realize your post is over a month old, not sure why I didn't see it or no one else has responded. I don't even use vent screens, probably pushing my luck but never had problems with any of my campers in that respect.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHManning View Post
I have the vent screens by Camco for water heater, refrigerator and furnace. However, I have not found anything for the air conditioner vent. Does it need covering? If it does, what do you cover it with and how? I can't put anything over it on the outside because of the mount and arm to raise the roof. Also, the cover is "glued" to the trailer with some kind of caulk or something and cannot be easily pried loose - I tried. I thought about taking it off and putting a screen of some kind on the inside if needed, but I hate to maybe damage the cover or paint getting it off if it isn't necessary.

Another question: In front of the a/c inside the trailer is a round "drain" like thing that goes through the floor. The holes in it are big enough for a bug to get through. Does anyone cover it? If so, what with?

Thanks in advance for your help. I love this forum and have learned so much from all you wonderful people!

I just saw this post too and recently purchased a 2019 A213HW. Could you post the part numbers on what screens you did find? My A/C has the same configuration as what you mentioned. ie- the A/C vent cover is silicon caulked to the side of the camper and I also have the round drain in the bottom of the camper. Interestingly, I've never seen condensation come out of the bottom drain. I'll have to look at that too and see if a screen could go over it. I've been tempted to remove the A/C vent cover because it doesn't seem like the condensation drains are installed correctly. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
I just saw this post too and recently purchased a 2019 A213HW. Could you post the part numbers on what screens you did find? My A/C has the same configuration as what you mentioned. ie- the A/C vent cover is silicon caulked to the side of the camper and I also have the round drain in the bottom of the camper. Interestingly, I've never seen condensation come out of the bottom drain. I'll have to look at that too and see if a screen could go over it. I've been tempted to remove the A/C vent cover because it doesn't seem like the condensation drains are installed correctly. Thanks.
IMO the reason you don't see water coming out of the the drain is that it's just leaking on to the floor. There's a thread way back regarding this. The drain design and implementation are quite poor. Neither of mine (if I recall correctly there are two) actually drained.

Craig
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

We have a 2016 Flagstaff T21TBHW, same as the Rockwood A213HW. The AC is mounted under the left bunk and sits in a plastic catch pan type of thing and the drain lines (2) come out at each end of the grill. I always level side to side with the left side slightly lower. In other words, the "bubble" is within the center with the "bubble" just touching the inside edge of the right line on the level. BTW, I use a 2' level to do my leveling. With this setup I always have condensation coming out one if not both of the tubes protruding thru the grill face. I have checked under the bunk with the AC running and have noticed that there has been a very small amount of moisture in the catch pan, but this is when the temp's are continually above 90* and the thermostat is set at 76*, so the AC is running almost continually throughout the day.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
Okay, here are the screens I purchased. I got all of them from Amazon.

Camco 42154 Flying Insect Screen for Dometic Refrigerator - Model RS 800 - Pack of 6 (you need 2 packs of these)

Camco 42151 Flying Insect Water Heater Screen - WH 400

Camco Flying Insect Screen -Protects RV Furnaces From Insects and Prevents RV Vent Damage - (2 Pack) (42141)

I didn't measure the drain in front of the A/C, but I wonder if one of the round screens like for the furnace vents would work. If you figure out anything regarding the A/C vent, please let me know. I can't believe it is so "glued" to the trailer that it can't be removed without a lot of prying.

I am leaving on Saturday, 7/6 for a 3-week trip, and this will be the first time I've used the A/C. Hopefully, it will work well, and then I will be able to see what condensation there is from it. Mine is a 2017 model that I bought used in October 2018. Everything else works great on it, especially the refrigerator/freezer. Everything stays cold/frozen in that thing!

Marsha
Old 07-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
I have the Flagstaff version of this one, 2018 year. I don't have any kind of "drain" looking thing anywhere in the floor. What year is yours, and can you possibly get a picture of it? I realize your post is over a month old, not sure why I didn't see it or no one else has responded. I don't even use vent screens, probably pushing my luck but never had problems with any of my campers in that respect.
Mine is a 2017. The drain in front of the A/C is under the bed with the A/C and it is a little hard to find. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now. I'm leaving this Saturday on a trip and will try to get one.

I decided to get the vent screens because so many people have had invasions of insects, and I just didn't want to have to deal with it. Screens are another cheap insurance IMO.

Marsha

Tags
vent