Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

Screen Room

Hi folks, We are the proud owners of our first camper (a122s). I didn't come with the awning/screen room. Was wondering if anybody could give me the part number or link so I can buy it. Thanks everyone, happy camping!!
s2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #2

Can't help with the awning (Do A-Frames HAVE Awnings?)

We have a 5er and we use this as a Camp Screen House though! Plops right over the picnic table and when the bugs come out, the screen attachments keep em out

Oh, and the battery powered canopy LEDs are awesome!

Amazon.com: Coleman Instant Canopy with LED Lighting System: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Coleman Screen Walls for Instant Shelter: Sports & Outdoors
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #3

Will keep that in mind. Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Mostly Harmless

Screen Room

Search on this forum for a thread titled "Screenroom Model or Part Number". Someone else recently asked for the same info. This thread has the answer. When entering the search terms in the Search box, enter them exactly as in the quotes above, but without the quotes. The search engine is very literal, or very dumb.

Alternatively you could PM the member who answered the earlier question: mzak.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #5

Your information doesn't say where you live or camp. We just bought an A122, living and camping in Colorado, where on any given day the chances of experiencing winds above 25MPH for a while are pretty high. I've seen many a pitched tent that was not properly staked rolling across a camping area.

We didn't want to be bothered with dealing an awning or screen room in the wind, or having to worry about it while we left camp for the day. So we deliberately didn't get the add-on room. Instead, we have a quality fold-up shelter to go over the picnic table that can be properly staked down. Even the shelters struggle in the winds - the cheaper/lighter ones typically get destroyed in the 2nd high wind experience.

We were on our 1st trip with the new unit at Cherry Creek Lake State Park (just outside Denver) this past weekend. Of all the wide variety of campers/RVs/5th wheels I saw, just one deployed their awning. And this was light winds (mostly) and good weather.

Other locales don't have this problem, and I can see the add-on being a very good idea.

just my thoughts and experiences, yours may differ
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
no solar, no generator, still prefer to dry camp
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Retread Popup Owner

We don't have the FR awning, but I'll offer another option. Like yours, our camper did not come with the awning. We considered buying it, but we just couldn't bring ourselves spend the $500-600 on it.

We bought a good 10' x 10' EZ Up style awning with a screen room attachment. Below is a pic of how we set it up...minus the screen room. We have the corners tied down using adjustable cinch straps. Three straps are hooked to dog tie-out augers, and one is hooked to the camper's left step housing. The awning just flat out doesn't budge.

It might seem to some like a bit of overkill on securing it down. We've seen freak storms blow through, and have even lost an awning to one...with the storm coming through so quickly that there was no time to drop the awning. We had one blow through this past October, and while everyone else was either chasing their EZ Ups, holding down their awnings, or wondering how much it was going to cost to fix the fresh hole in their roof , our awning just stayed right where we left it.

To keep from tripping over the augers at night, we have solar lights we plant in the ground between the augers and the poles.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #7

I bought my screen room at the same time as I purchased my A Frame. If you contact the closest Forest River dealer they could probably order one for you.
The screen room has been a great addition worth the cost in my opinion it has more versatility than a separate structure. It can be used as a totally enclosed private room, a screened shelter or a sun shelter when the sides are zipped off. It takes some getting used to for putting it up but it gets easier with practice I put mine up by myself. I don’t use it on short trips of a day or two but on longer trips I always use it. Has come in handy on rainy trips, definitely nice to step out of the camper on a rainy morning and sit and have coffee. Keep in mind it doesn’t have a floor so mats are a good idea.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

Screen Room

If you wish to extend your Aframe cabin space the screen room is a perfect solution. I leave my bed/s out during camping and use the extra room for cooking and dining.
Since I now could set up the screen room by myself within 45 minutes, I use it all the time, the extra privacy place is priceless.

Here in post #296 page 30 I did last year, pictures of my screen room and on how to set it up without using pegs
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-27602-30.html use Webview to link correctly

Just secure the front top corners with rope to a tree, picnic table, car bumper, fire grill...be creative...lol not pegs, then it will survive any strong wind or gust which I experience last year, my neighbor's tent flew away with all its pegs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399327217.447642.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	51743
The screen room and front tarp makes this a perfect setup in my last weekend trip because it rained most of the time, oh well no biking but it did not get wet lol
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input, we decided to go with the 10*10 ez up with screen. Camping in the Adirondack Mts
Old 05-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #10

I ordered the awning/screen room on May 8. Looking forward to the extra space. Hope it doesn't take long to receive it.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #11
Retread Popup Owner

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person, Mike.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #12

Wojo...love the shelter tie down ideas and will copy cat you! Is there any tricks to putting in the dog augers. I had one for my cattle dog from hell and could never get it in the ground. I still have the dog after 7 years and realized that she really just want to be on a bed or a couch not on a tie out. But I really struggled with that auger.
boss mare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #13

I've laboring the idea of purchasing the awning/screen room since the time I purchased my A194HW last year. Couldn't get past the $640 price until a camping friend mentioned the $1000+ he spent to replace the awning on his travel trailer. $640 seems like a good value for what I'm getting. DW and I are looking forward to the attached outside space.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss mare View Post
Wojo...love the shelter tie down ideas and will copy cat you! Is there any tricks to putting in the dog augers. I had one for my cattle dog from hell and could never get it in the ground. I still have the dog after 7 years and realized that she really just want to be on a bed or a couch not on a tie out. But I really struggled with that auger.
It definitely depends on the ground. Hard or rocky ground can make it...challenging. I do keep a set of longer straight stakes to use when the augurs won't bite.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #15

Set-up time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
If you wish to extend your Aframe cabin space the screen room is a perfect solution. I leave my bed/s out during camping and use the extra room for cooking and dining.
Since I now could set up the screen room by myself within 45 minutes, I use it all the time, the extra privacy place is priceless.

Here in post #296 page 30 I did last year, pictures of my screen room and on how to set it up without using pegs
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-27602-30.html use Webview to link correctly

Just secure the front top corners with rope to a tree, picnic table, car bumper, fire grill...be creative...lol not pegs, then it will survive any strong wind or gust which I experience last year, my neighbor's tent flew away with all its pegs.
Attachment 51743
The screen room and front tarp makes this a perfect setup in my last weekend trip because it rained most of the time, oh well no biking but it did not get wet lol
We're intrigued by the attached screen room notwithstanding something of a "sticker shock" over the price. Three questions, the most important one first: Do I correctly understand it takes 45 minutes to set up solo, and what might that be for a two-person set-up? Second, does the kit function as an awning alone, allowing quicker deployment if one doesn't wish to set up the full screen room? Third, must snaps or other fasteners be affixed to the camper roof or side panels to attach the awning/screen room?

Thanks for any feedback.

Fox58
Raleigh, NC
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #16

Screen room

We bought an almost new Paha Que screen room from an Aliner couple. It takes two to set up but can be done in about 15 minutes. It is 10' X 10' with a floor. The walls are a combination screen with a full cover that can be used either way or roll them both up for just a covered canopy. No Velcro needed to be attached to the A124 Rockwood except for the screen room skirt that goes across the bottom of the trailer. The Velcro is under the trailer so it is not visible.
Please see my album 'Paha Que Sreen Room'
Rcaldwell0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox58 View Post
We're intrigued by the attached screen room notwithstanding something of a "sticker shock" over the price. Three questions, the most important one first: Do I correctly understand it takes 45 minutes to set up solo, and what might that be for a two-person set-up? Second, does the kit function as an awning alone, allowing quicker deployment if one doesn't wish to set up the full screen room? Third, must snaps or other fasteners be affixed to the camper roof or side panels to attach the awning/screen room?

Thanks for any feedback.

Fox58
Raleigh, NC

1. If there is 2 of me setting up the screen room, 15 minutes to setup
2. No, there are no poles to support the TT wall side
3. Yes, the screen room is customize to the TT to make it an extension like another dining room
Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #18

Called the dealer to check up on my order. Dealer told me the awning screen room have been back ordered.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by catworker View Post
Called the dealer to check up on my order. Dealer told me the awning screen room have been back ordered.

Is your TT higher/taller than the older model? Just check if the screen room you are ordering is compatible...just checking.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #20

The dealer told me the awning/screen room are ordered to fit your A-frames model number.

Tags
roo