Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Screenroom!

So after much research, we elected to get the screenroom that is actually made for our lovely A-frame. We thought about a separate pop-up canopy, but having the 'continuity' with the trailer just seemed like the better option. I had heard that the toughest part was putting it together, especially in windy conditions. So today seemed like the best time - sunny, and windy! I have to say, I think we'll really enjoy the additional room it provides! And the set up wasn't quite as tough as I thought it was going to be. Now to set it up while on a trip! One trip for sure: I got orders to move to Las Vegas, so we'll be moving from the lovely inland northwest to sunny and dry Vegas in June!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3123.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	29017  
daveandmandy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #2

Looks great! I have wondered how it would do in wind....

Two weeks ago I had the trailer at Moses Lake, WA and we were hit with wind gusts up to 50 mph all weekend (a tent trailer practically blew over and around - they folded up and returned to Spokane)....during it all, I was glad to have the EZ Up canopy vs the attached screen room. I'm not sure how well the room (attached to the trailer wall) would hold up with varied wind gusts pressuring the side wall?

Last weekend we were in Lewsiton, ID - another wet windy weekend....how comfortable would you be to use the room in inclement weather such as we experience in the Inland NW? I am still on the fence to use mine....

Las Vegas? Congrats on steadier weather and bigger city life...will you miss the trees? Ive been in Nine Mile area for 12 years now & know I will miss my peaceful lakeside community if I ever had to leave it.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Flagstaff 22FBS

Driveway practice, to work the "kinks" out, is always a good idea. Home field advantage you might say.
Lookin' good!

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #4

About how much do they cost?

gt40
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

My local dealer quoted $675.00
Boruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #6

We love ours! I was skeptical about the setup, but it's getting easier and quicker. It turned a little windy on us one day and all we did was stake the corners down with some tent stakes.
On a chilly evening a tabletop tiki torch keeps it keeps it nice in there.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

Screen room wind protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandmandy1 View Post
So after much research, we elected to get the screenroom that is actually made for our lovely A-frame. We thought about a separate pop-up canopy, but having the 'continuity' with the trailer just seemed like the better option. I had heard that the toughest part was putting it together, especially in windy conditions. So today seemed like the best time - sunny, and windy! I have to say, I think we'll really enjoy the additional room it provides! And the set up wasn't quite as tough as I thought it was going to be. Now to set it up while on a trip! One trip for sure: I got orders to move to Las Vegas, so we'll be moving from the lovely inland northwest to sunny and dry Vegas in June!

Hi, Congratuations on your screen room awning purchase.
We've used our screenroom awning for about a year and enjoy it.
It can be a pain to set up sometimes. If it is too windy, we usually don't try to set it up.

After setup, it holds up pretty well under stiff windy conditions with the following suggestions:
  1. Cut 2, 2 ft (I used 6 inch pressure treated decking) boards to go under the stabilizer jacks and attach screw hooks to both ends of each board. Attach the bottom edges of your screen room's bungee loops to these hooks at the both ends of the base of the trailer. With the weight of the trailer on these boards this offers additional protection from the wind, especially if your trailer is set up on a concrete or asphalt camping pad.
  2. Stake the awning down with the large "nail-like" tent pegs (found at most outdoor stores). You can pound them into the ground with a rubber mallet (I don't use the supplied tent pins as they are harder to work with.).
  3. If the velco starts to come loose on the trailer use a good grade contact cement/adhesive.
(Thanks to K0777 for coming up with suggestions for some of the above ideas.).
We only use our awning on 2 or more night stays. It provided great shelter from the cold wind and rain during our winter camps. It's nice and breezy during warm weather camping with the front unzipped / removed and side panels rolled up.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

I have updated my thread on how to setup the screen room without using pegs, post #296
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-27602-30.html
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrissom View Post
[*]If the velco starts to come loose on the trailer use a good grade contact cement/adhesive.
Thanks for this tip! We have had a terrible time keeping the Velcro attached to the front metal plate on the toy hauler!
Theres a Nap for that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #10

Great tips. It would have taken me quite a while to figure them out. Especially the boards under the jacks with eye screws in them.

Thanks again everyone.
gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
Great tips. It would have taken me quite a while to figure them out. Especially the boards under the jacks with eye screws in them.
+1

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote