Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Sealant Failure on Bubble Window

I discovered a leak in my front bubble window ( the hard way) after a storm. The majority of damage is to the top of the microwave counter which has warped and separated. Anyway, my question is what is the best type of sealant to use for this? Should it be rv sealant or wpuld an outdoor household caulk work as well? Thanks!

Deb
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwilde View Post
I discovered a leak in my front bubble window ( the hard way) after a storm. The majority of damage is to the top of the microwave counter which has warped and separated. Anyway, my question is what is the best type of sealant to use for this? Should it be rv sealant or wpuld an outdoor household caulk work as well? Thanks!

Deb
RV Sealant. I feel it is developed for weather changes and maintain elasticity. Talk to your RV dealer you use.
If you really want it sealed for lif do the regular sealant and then add 4" Eternabond tape over it after it dries.
You can also use the rest of the roll on other areas of the roof. This stuff is the best stuff since sliced bread.
Check around for the 4" roll as you may find a better price on the internet. Worth every penny.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Eterna.../rsw-4-25c.htm
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

we have had the same problem with our rear window of our A122 for the last couple of years ... I tried everything ... taking it back to our dealer .. having them strip and reseal the bubble ... trying RVflex, and doing it myself which is a good product, but just didnt cut the mustard ... buying Externa bond RV tape.. and not installing it ...it was just so danm sticky it was impossible for me to use Finally I took it back to my dealer who applied 3M Extreme Sealing tape. this stuff is the cats meow ... and will never leak .....
im not saying Externabond is not a great product .. but once you put it on ... it will never ever come off ....
After all my fixes with this window .. and being a happy camper with the 3M stuff ... a wind storm came through my neighbourhood in early November ... and a tree limb when right through my back window ... so we are back at square one again ...

i sealed the crack with Externabond ... but the window has to cut out and replaced ...

so ... after all this ... i would go with 3M... not only for the cosmetic look ... but the quality of the product ..

Merry Christmas ..all ...

d-mo
Old 12-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant has been highly recommended on the Pop Up Explorer web site and is sold at Camping World, among other places. 3M Marine adhesive caulks are also well reviewed by many users. I've had good luck with them. These products are not consumer grade and can be tricky to work with. Prepare for and follow manufactures instructions for application and cleaning up mistakes.

Eternabond tape is also highly recommended for RV roofs, but will require very careful instillation on an A Frame where it is visible all the time. I suppose careful instillation is needed for 3M Extreme too, but the neutral translucence of the backing may make it less obvious compared to the opaque white Eternabond.

D-mo, how visible is you seal? Is it obvious or does it blend in.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

I have photos of the 3M Extreme tape in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...per-17547.html

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Dave, those pics are exactly what I needed. Everything looks nice and water tight. I think I could do a better job with tape than I could a caulk gun or tube of sealant.

I appreciate responses and input from everyone here.

Deb
desertwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

your welcome ..

merry christmas

oh .. and if i were you .. i would get this done professionally ... on all windows.

d-mo
Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Agree, the 3M tape is the way to go.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #9

We just picked up our new A192HW camper yesterday and put it up to find an 18 inch gap that I could slip my hand through in the large bubble skylight over the bed. Needless to say we are extremely disappointed since it looks as though a repair has been attempted at the factory and it has stilled popped the seal. Since there are no screws holding it down and the roof does flex a bit when raising and lowering I am wondering what the best fix is. We are taking back to the dealer on Monday and they will attempt to repair but I am wondering if we will continue to have problems. Had this camper less than 24 hours! Any advice appreciated!
maminkagirl is offline   Reply With Quote