Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #1

seals and caulking

The owner's manual says to check it twice a year. Looked good in February when we bought it. Checked it for last camping trip and the black caulking around the fantastic fan and bubble windows was showing signs of advanced aging, cracking and pulling away from windows and vent. It's all been redone in the 2" 4412N 3M extreme tape now. Have a little left over for emergency repairs if need be. The clear caulking around the edge of the roof still looks good. Only the black was failing. Glad I caught it before rain got in. So how long can I expect this to last before I have to redo it?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:10 PM   #2

I am curious as to whether the original caulking tape

was completely removed or if the new tape was put over the original?
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:47 PM   #3

I left the old caulking in place for a couple of reasons, I don't have a garage and rain was threatening and the plastic seemed to be lifting where the caulking was failing. I may have to repeat this sooner this way but I didn't have the time to get all of the old caulking out of the way before the rain hit. It all sealed up nicely and hasn't let a drop of rain through.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

Is the "2" 4412N 3M extreme tape" like or similar to eternabond? Whats the difference?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Go Pack Go!!

Our new Wildwood we got has a sticker that says we have to inspect all seals/caulking every 90 days minimum. That seems like a lot of work!!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #6

I am constantly walking around the 315wp looking at caulk and seals. Drives my wife nuts. I cant get up on the roof any more due to my handicap so our son goes up and looks at the roof 2 -3 times a year. Ive have not found anything yet!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

Chuck, I don't have any experience with the "eternabond" but have heard that it is a lot harder to get off if you need to rework it. The 3M is supposedly a little more forgiving in the application process. Next time it needs to be done maybe i'll do one small bubble with the 3M and the other next to it with the eternabond for a side by side comaprison.

Tags
caulk