Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Serious Water Damage? Question

I'm not too impress with Forest River's quality control. When I put a deposit on this unit last October, it had a puddle in the storage compartment under the bed. The dealer suggested the baggage door wasn't locked while in transit from the factory. Seemed reasonable, so dealer would dry the area and keep it for winter storage before pickup before May 1/15. When we picked it up in April, there was a large puddle on the floor, inside the entrance door. We had to wait 2-3 hours for the dealer to re-caulk all the windows and vent on the roof. After arriving home, we had no rain for sometime. When we did get rain, the camper was in the open position and it didn't show any more leaks. Last week, before our first outing, the camper was in the closed position for two days/nights when we had heavy rains. On the road to the campground, more heavy rains. Attached photos show what we had when we arrived at the campground. As a side note, when drilling a pilot hole to mount high mount tail lamps in the top rear roof frame, some water leaked out. QUESTION-Do I let the dealer have a try at it again or should I contact Forest River directly? Who is the best one to contact at FR? I've seen water leaking from the roof, which means there's water between the interior and exterior metal. Water stains in the plywood and mattress. Also, see dinette table damage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0754.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	79907   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0755.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	79908   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0762.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	79909   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0764.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	79910   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0756.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	79911  

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #2

As an aside, best if you store your trailer folding up, to have the tongue slightly higher than the rear to prevent water from possible seepage around the rear roof seal. This was advised to me by FR when I called to ask them about storing the trailer. They said best to leave up but if folded down, front end higher if stored outside and not under cover. This is due to the mechanics of our roof panels that fold on top of each other, unlike a tent trailer that lifts horizontally.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

That unit has and aparently has had, some really serious water intrusion issues. The walls have to be full of mold,which is very unhealthy to even walk thru,let alone sleep in.IMO,its to late to try and save it even if you can find the leaks since it has obviously been going on since new.It needs to go back to FR and negotiate a buy back.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #4

Foam Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
As an aside, best if you store your trailer folding up, to have the tongue slightly higher than the rear to prevent water from possible seepage around the rear roof seal. This was advised to me by FR when I called to ask them about storing the trailer. They said best to leave up but if folded down, front end higher if stored outside and not under cover. This is due to the mechanics of our roof panels that fold on top of each other, unlike a tent trailer that lifts horizontally.
I found it strange that the weather seal between the roof panels is a strip of foam which really soaks up the water-like a dish sponge. Any weather stripping I've seen usually is a flexible solid component which molds to the contour.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
That unit has and apparently has had, some really serious water intrusion issues. The walls have to be full of mold,which is very unhealthy to even walk thru,let alone sleep in.IMO,its to late to try and save it even if you can find the leaks since it has obviously been going on since new.It needs to go back to FR and negotiate a buy back.
Yes, this is one of my concerns. Thanks for reinforcing this.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Seeing those pictures .... I'm heartbroken for you

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #7

I don't think I have ever seen a positive post about a A frame camper. They seem about as water proof as a screen door. Hope you can find some sort of resolution
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

I cannot comprehend leaving a deposit on any RV that has an obvious water leak. Why blame Forest River for QC problems when this is sitting on a dealers lot? Who knows what has occurred with this unit after it left the FR assembly.
That said, I am sorry for your problems. Start with the dealer for a resolution!
Best wishes.

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #9

I feel for you as this is a serious problem is that going to take a bit of time and effort to resolve. I wish you the best in dealing with all the finger pointing that is about to begin. I hope one of them takes responsibility.

If you have a leak, I would place a sheet of tyvek over it to keep the water off. You need to do your best to prevent further damage.

Have you found any floor damage yet? hopefully the water has not landed on the floor.

I wish you the very best.

Sorry for your troubles.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #10

Davek1971, my guess is that you are not on any of the active A-Frame forums outside of what is seen here . Believe me, there are many many more happy owners with few complaints versus the occasional ones that sign up to vent. There is a higher tendency in Forest River Forums (other models included) - for people to join & then complain, they really just want to be heard. They may want to complain about their dealer and now they want Forest river to make it right or maybe have buyers remorse.

I bought mine brand new in 2012 and love it - only issues I've had have been my own fault. I use the trailer much in the wet stormy windy weather and never had a leak. There also seems to be fewer complaints about the FR Aframe than other brands.

Most leak issues I've seen have occurred on the dealer lots from not storing them correctly or leaving windows open or customer lookey loo "abuse" or from ignorant employees power washing to clean and unknowingly forcing water up and under the seals (definitely not how the rain falls haha).

As for OP - his trailer obviously had a problem prior to purchase since it was wet on walk thru and was resealed and recaulked. I personally would have passed on the unit. I took two hours to do my walk thru and didn't sign any papers until I was completely satisfied. I wish OP the best and feel confident that since it is new, it's covered under warranty - just be sure to take it in ASAP.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
I cannot comprehend leaving a deposit on any RV that has an obvious water leak. Why blame Forest River for QC problems when this is sitting on a dealers lot? Who knows what has occurred with this unit after it left the FR assembly.
That said, I am sorry for your problems. Start with the dealer for a resolution!
Best wishes.
Nice of you to point blame at a guy who is trying to deal with a problem. FR is the appropriate place to turn if no solution is forthcoming at the dealer because FR is the OEM and responsible for the warranty.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Don't see buying a damaged unit and then want someone else to foot the bill to fix it. I must be missing something.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #13

Is it still under warranty?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't see buying a damaged unit and then want someone else to foot the bill to fix it. I must be missing something.
I assume it's a new unit with a warranty. Isn't that what warranties are supposed to be for?
The dealer gave an explanation as to what they thought caused the initial problem. Then they attempted to fix the issue that was found at pick up.
If it is a new unit, you expect the OP to foot the bill?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I assume it's a new unit with a warranty. Isn't that what warranties are supposed to be for?
The dealer gave an explanation as to what they thought caused the initial problem. Then they attempted to fix the issue that was found at pick up.
If it is a new unit, you expect the OP to foot the bill?
I know it is "after the fact", but knowingly buying a damaged unit is hardly grounds for seeking warranty coverage. It would be like knowingly buying a new car with the engine blown and then saying it should be fixed under warranty. The logic just escapes me.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #16

Quote:
The logic just escapes me.
Evidently.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Evidently.
Maybe you can explain it to this old man?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Maybe you can explain it to this old man?
The guy made a mistake in taking delivery of a camper after naively accepting the dealers explanation for the cause of the water damage and promise to address it. An explanation was evidently not true with the actual cause left unaddressed. It is rude and unfriendly to blame him for a problem with the camper that was not his fault but was caused by a manufacturing defect and passed on to him by a dealer.

Instead as fellow camper owners we should be supporting him in getting the problem addressed. It's not our position to say what the limits of responsibility the dealer or FR may or may not take, because we don't know what they will ultimately do for his specific problem.

This forum is, or at least for the most part is, a community of help, support and sharing the joys of camping with A Frame campers. Providing some constructive direction when needed. And occasionally commiserating with the sorrows of A Frame ownership too.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #19

I had something similar happen to me when first looking at a-frames. Found a puddle of water on the table below the skylight while the unit was on the dealer lot. They made all kind of promises to fix it, but I walked. Not about to knowingly buy a new unit with a leak. Now, if it had been cleaned up, repaired and put back before I had seen the puddle, I was taking it home that day and probably never known the difference. Feel like I dodged a bullet on that one. I store my current a-frame popped up and not covered and we had lots of rain this spring...so far no signs of leaks.
Good luck to OP...I hope you get this worked out to your satisfaction.
epcotisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

I agree with finding a solution, but to blame FR for the problem is also not right. How do we know the dealer did not open the camper and fail to close it properly and also not store it correctly as stated with the nose high? If the dealer opened the vents on my 5er and let the rain come in and damaged the trailer, is that a FR problem?

I do believe the OP has a right to go after the dealer with every tool available, but has no reason to fault FR for any of it.

Tags
water