Old 06-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #1

Severe leak through front compartment of Flagstaff T12RBST (same as Rockwood A122S)

I thought I would share a little story that may be instructive to some:

Last weekend, I arrived at a state park with a severe thunderstorm brewing. After rushing to set up and clean up, and cover various items with tarps, I went inside, proud of my work, just as the rain started to pour. I then thought of one item I had forgotten in an outside compartment. After grabbing that, I thought I'd better take one more look around before going back indoors.

Lo and behold, I had left open the front left storage compartment door this whole time. I thought surely this could not be a big deal, but I quickly realized that a lot of rain dripping down the outside wall had made its way into the compartment, and there was a substantial puddle up against the wall of the interior of the unit. I acted quickly to wipe up that water as much as possible and rushed inside, but I was too late: a large amount of water had already seeped in, underneath the dinette seat, where the electrical heart of the unit lives (one of several poor design decisions, in light of this event). Water was pooled around the rat's nest of wires, around and within the wood shims supporting the water heater, and seeping underneath the furnace where I could not possibly reach it. And it was ultimately seeping out from the dinette under the furnace vent.

Luckily I was "home" to catch this when it happened - it could have been much worse otherwise - and I believe I managed to sop everything up and let the wet wood (primarily the framing at the intersection of the floor and wall) dry quickly enough to avoid any lasting consequences. But it totally boggles my mind that leaving one side storage door open for 10-15 minutes, on an "outdoor" compartment that most probably are not too concerned about carefully monitoring, can result in such severe water incursion into the appliance areas and living space. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Lesson learned: I will be even more careful when it rains, and I also plan to generously caulk the interior wall edges inside the storage compartment. Caulking within some parts of the unit would be more difficult due to the location of the water heater, etc.

Really I did not even want this compartment, but my dealer did not stock the version without it and at the time it didn't seem a good reason to go out of my way.

Nights camped in 2016: 37 as of 11/14
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

Severe leak

Hi JArry, sorry to hear about the leak. I have an A213HW and experienced a similar leak in a really nasty storm, -the kind where the wind is blowing the rain horizontally. In our case, the water came in under the front wall and leaked into the toilet compartment and out on the floor. When the rain stopped and e got everything mopped up, I started checking around, trying to find the source of the leak. There was no water on the floor of the front storage compartment, or behind the access doors. There was some drops of water on the top of the stuff in the storage compartment, not enough to create the volume we had inside. I did notice that the rubber gasket that covers the roof hinge was unevenly installed (some screws too tight, some too loose) and I ran a bead of silicone caulk across the entire thing. I also removed the storage compartment shelf so that I could access the front wall, and caulked that, as well as the inside of the wall under the dinette. The bottom line is that we've had no water leakage since, though to be honest, I have to add that we've not been in a rain storm that was as bad as the one that caused the first leak. If I can get it in, the picture (I hope is below this note), shows the caulking I did outside.

Kdot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0466.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	111273  

kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Hi JArry, sorry to hear about the leak. I have an A213HW and experienced a similar leak in a really nasty storm, -the kind where the wind is blowing the rain horizontally. In our case, the water came in under the front wall and leaked into the toilet compartment and out on the floor. When the rain stopped and e got everything mopped up, I started checking around, trying to find the source of the leak. There was no water on the floor of the front storage compartment, or behind the access doors. There was some drops of water on the top of the stuff in the storage compartment, not enough to create the volume we had inside. I did notice that the rubber gasket that covers the roof hinge was unevenly installed (some screws too tight, some too loose) and I ran a bead of silicone caulk across the entire thing. I also removed the storage compartment shelf so that I could access the front wall, and caulked that, as well as the inside of the wall under the dinette. The bottom line is that we've had no water leakage since, though to be honest, I have to add that we've not been in a rain storm that was as bad as the one that caused the first leak. If I can get it in, the picture (I hope is below this note), shows the caulking I did outside.

Kdot

I also have a Rockwood A 122 The back window was leaking put silicon on worked for a while. Last week had another leak.
Scrapping off the silicon the window has loosen up and not sealing at all. Now the window will have to be cleaned up and
Resealed. Has any one else had this problem? Need help! Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

Kdot:

Thanks for the response. I did end up caulking the edge of the front compartment floor and side corners and accordingly have not had any leakage into the trailer interior. However, the compartment has leaked a few other times (less severely) without having any doors open. Coincidentally I dropped off the trailer at the dealer today and am getting that checked out along with a list of other problems.

My bigger problem now is severe leakage inside the front of the trailer (table cushions soaked) when it is folded down during heavy rains. I am intrigued by the exterior front hinge seal - I never even thought of checking that. But I don't think that is the cause of my interior leak because the interior side of the hinge has never shown any water when I've checked it. I can't figure out how the water is getting in - hopefully (going out on a limb here) the dealer will have some insight.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Not exactly the same, but along the wet line -

If you have an outside counter top(it mounts onto a rail on the front of the camper), and it gets wet, it will warp.

I replaced the particle board/laminate top with a yard sale oak cutting board.

As for the bubble window, that is not a new can of worms, and if you search on bubble window, you can read sad stories all night long.

Happy camping!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
If you have an outside counter top(it mounts onto a rail on the front of the camper), and it gets wet, it will warp.

I replaced the particle board/laminate top with a yard sale oak cutting board.
My exterior shelf that attaches with rail is made out of solid plastic. In other news, one edge of my dinette table de-laminated after said interior leaking while folded down. The dealer will probably be replacing it. Supposedly that table can be used outside as well, but I can't imagine why anyone would.

Also, I meant to say this earlier, but I do not have a shelf inside the front compartment that kdot apparently does.

Tags
a122, flagstaff, leak, rockwood