Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
severe weather

The wife and I spend some time this past week camping at Indiana Dunes St. Park. We had an absolutely wonderful time and this was our first actual camping experience in our new A122S.

We were able to sit on the beach during early nite and watch several thunderstorms over Chicago and Lake Michigan. After we returned to our site and camper, the storm moved more toward our area. We retired for the evening and the rain began (it was nice to hear the raindrops on the top of the camper and also to watch the lightning out of the window over the bed). Our I-phone let us see the radar so we knew that the approaching storm wasn't going to be bad.

This part of the storm ended up not being really severe, but it got me to thinking about the inevitable time when we are camping and faced with some potentially severe weather.

I figured that each person has his/her own comfort level for storms and common sense has to prevail as to when to vacate the camper, but has anyone ever heard or read what wind gust speed would tip over an A122? Would it help any to hook the camper back up to the hitch on the tow vehicle to help stabilize during wind gusts?

I know a camper would want to be aware of any overhanging tree limbs and nearby trees that could topple during a storm also.

What safety tips might anyone have?

Thanks for any feedback.

Tom and Renee

2015 Rockwood A122S

2010 Toyota RAV 4
tkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins
After staying in TN and having tornadoes come through the campground (just before our stay) I now carry a weather radio with the alert feature.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote