Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

She's home, she's realy home!

Carly arrived this afternoon, home to her well prepared parking space.

The PDI went very well. The tech had thought of most things on my checklist. The only thing I had to get on them about was the placement of the velcro for the add a room. It was, he said, only the second they had done and the first for his assistant, who did the actual install. It would have helped if the installer had read the manual, but he's a guy, so.... Anyway, because of the posts many of you have made about the add a room, I knew to where to look and in the end is was correct.

When I arrived the camper was plugged in and the AC on. After the external orientation, we went inside to enjoy the cool and look at the inside. I only found one minor cosmetic blemish in a ceiling panel and let that pass. He fired up the heat pump then the furnace until the camper got toasty. I liked the climate control thermostat.

The stereo worked and I remembered to bring a patch cord and played some music from my iPhone. It is unfortunately a Genesis 2, the one without the DVD and bluetooth. Thinking back on what some others had said, I asked him to turn the water pump on but it already was, so no leaks. The water heater lit up with no trouble.

We had fits taking down the add a room. The manual was better on set up than tear down. But it came down eventually and with some effort the zipper closed on the bag.

She fit nicely into her parking space, a bit further back than my old Coleman. The longer distance from hitch to axle was also apparent in the towing. I got up to 70 mph and jiggled the wheel several time with increasing motion. I couldn't induce any sway. Carly just slid back into her place behind my truck. The torsion bar suspension and radial tire gave her a smooth ride.

One thing that was new to me, it the dead bolt lock that is individually keyed. Another is the separate key for the outside shower, compared to all the other access locks. I can't figure out a reason for it and my initial thought is to replace the lock with a standard lock so I need one less key. I bought two blanks for the dead bolt, so I can get them cut and put on my super secret key ring.

Another puzzle was the tongue jack. It is a center mount not a swing up. The tech pulled the wheel off during hitch up and recommended I do so too lest the wheel strike the pavement and ruin the jack. That seems like a pain to me and one more thing to keep track of. Did anyone else get that recommendation?

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #2

Congrats!

Yes on the wheel. It's even imprinted in the top of the jack near the to hitch latch.

You might get away with leaving it in, but I wouldn't risk it. It's just a normal routine for me now. Last things I do is remove the wheel and then the chocks after hooking up, toss both into the rear storage and lock all up and double check all exterior points and hitching before pulling out.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Congrats!

Yes on the wheel. It's even imprinted in the top of the jack near the to hitch latch.
Thanks. I see the need to build a small wheel storage cubby just inside the drivers side storage door. Otherwise it will get lost in the trunk.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

My Flickr skills seem out of date. Here are the images from IMGUR

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

Yay Tom!! Glad to hear she made it home (finally)!! Looks nice and snug in her space! I usually leave my wheel on but after my last trip (which included a short stop at the dealer for the annual fridge check) they recc I remove because their town had rough entries into gas stations and driveways. Said it was better safe than sorry....easy enough to pull the clip to remove and toss into the box.

You didnt mention your refrigerator, I'm guessing it was ok? I still find it a mental adjustment to accept the controls are outside of the trailer - I loved the fridge in my Jayco TT that were on the Norcold fridge and I just pushed a button to change power source...oh well, its a minor complaint. LOL

Congratulations! Look forward to reading about your adventures!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #6

Congrats!!!! Enjoy it, use it every chance you get!! happy camping!!!
2012 Rockwood A126
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

I removed the jack wheel and baught a sand pad to replace it, don't have to bother with removing it. Not very many people will actualy use the wheel as a wheel.
2014 Tacoma 4x4
OutAndAbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post

Thanks. I see the need to build a small wheel storage cubby just inside the drivers side storage door. Otherwise it will get lost in the trunk.
No need for a cubby, since you have the front storage, use one of the side door. I put my tire lock, side mirrors when detached, battery powered drill for the stabilizers, and any accessories there. You have both sides of the box to access these stuff easily.

Tip: I use the wheel for minor adjustment of the rig position and then remove them after all stabilizers are down. I do this quickly and put the jack down without the wheel. I do this process when I want to put a weight scale under the jack to get the tongue weight, my TV has a limit of 350 lbs, so I do this before hitching. Just remember to raise the stabilizer jack up and level the rig to get a good tongue weight reading.

Congrats on your new rig!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

Good Stuff!!

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #10

Congrats! Glad you finally got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Carly arrived this afternoon, home to her well prepared parking space.

The PDI went very well. The tech had thought of most things on my checklist. The only thing I had to get on them about was the placement of the velcro for the add a room. It was, he said, only the second they had done and the first for his assistant, who did the actual install. It would have helped if the installer had read the manual, but he's a guy, so.... Anyway, because of the posts many of you have made about the add a room, I knew to where to look and in the end is was correct.
Ours was the first according to them.

If I remember correctly they told us not to leave the wheel on as well. Ours cracked shortly after having the camper so I don't use it anymore.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote