Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Mostly Harmless

Welcome, Slowp!

Since all four brands of A-frame campers are very similar, I've found that modifications made for one brand will often work on another. I've installed an Aliner Wind Kit on my Rockwood, for instance. I've gotten several good ideas from talking with Aliner and Chalet owners in places we've camped. And some of our members have previously owned Aliners or Chalets too. So I hope you'll share pictures and tips with us from your experience with your Chalet, and also that you find things here that will be useful to you.

Besides being a member here I'm also a member of a Yahoo Group for Aliners and Chalets. Have you found that one yet? It's called alinerchaleta-frames and you can probably find it by searching Yahoo Groups. Just like this forum, that one welcomes all brands. Lots of great tips and ideas in both places. Have fun!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #22

Thanks. This is the easiest forum to use and read.

I upgraded from a teardrop to what seems like a huge, gently used Chalet Alpine. I'm liking it and plan to use it a lot--I was able to retire two years ago.

I pull it with a Ford Ranger 6 cylinder. The last trip was a 1600 mile round trip. The only bad thing and it wasn't horrible was that Highway 101 is rough in places and the top drawer fell out of the little storage chest of drawers ( I think these are where the microwaves are in the newer trailers)
and a clip slipped off one side of the top panel but it stayed down. I discovered that when setting up. I may need to tighten it up. That happened on one particularly bad stretch in Oregon.
Slowp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #23

Welcome Aboard Slowp,
We got our A126 last September and simply love it. Storage space is extremely limited but, it forces you to get creative or learn to do without. Remember it's camping...right? Less is sometimes is better. We have seven four day trips planned out already from April thru October. We wanted to atleast camp one weekend a month. Our GMC Sierra pulls with no problem. We plan, load, and go. That simple.
We are very pleased with our A-Frame. Good Luck!!
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
I have the Flagstaff model (T12SDTH) of the Rockwood you mention. I got it because it allows for more floor space as well as ability to carry "stuff" on the deck. I show dogs (bullmastiff) & use this to haul my equipment (crates, canopy, cooler, generator, chairs, etc). We also fish and gem so dirty tools and stuff can get transported on the deck. haha Plenty of room inside with the sofa bed. It is also the heaviest of all the A-Frames, and uses a Class IV hitch...so just make sure your Xterra can handle the loaded weight....and after Awhile you'll learn what essentials you need versus what you brought (that you dont need or ever use) that just takes up precious space.
Handbuilder:

I see that the majority of folks on this forum have opted for the Rockwood. What are the major differences between Flagstaff and Rockwood, given the models are comparable? For instance, I have a Flagstaff T12RB. What are the differences between T12RB and the Rockwood, whatever the model number is in a Rockwood?
Thanks,
Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #25

The only difference between Flagstaff and Rockwood models is the the color of the interior and the decals outside. Forest River offers a opportunity for dealers within a region to sell their product without competitive conflict. I see more Flagstaff brands in Washington state...but tht said, my best friend bought the Rockwood model of my Flagstaff model because it was available at a dealer closer to her home...altho I was willing to drive a few hours away for a better price and more courteous sales staff.

BTW
the 'A' that precedes the Rockwood models indicates 'A' style model and the "T" that precedes the Flagstaff model indicates Tepee style model....silly RV trivia...

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
Mostly Harmless

They're probably built on the same assembly line too. This way a Rockwood dealer and a Flagstaff dealer can both sell A-frames in the same territory and the factory can claim that neither dealer's exclusive sales territory has been violated. Handbuilder has the right of it.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #27

One of the other things I would be concerned about is that you will not have any floor to ceiling storage space when traveling at that you have to setup and takedown everytime you move.

We did that for 3 years with our Trailmanor. You may want to see if you can find a small TM (used) as they are nice units.

We did look at the A frames. They were pretty nice but, all I saw was that when the pardette would decide to use the bathroom, that meant I was going to half to take a walk no matter what the weather was!
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #28

Thanks to all who enlightened me as to what the differences were between Flagstaff and Rockwood. Looking at the many photos on this forum, I couldn't tell the difference, but for some reason, more people seem to buy Rockwood's. I guess it all boils down to how close the dealer is to your home and a preference in interior color schemes.
Thanks again folks,
Jim
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I agree take a look at the A Frame models at a dealer or an RV show to see what best suits your needs. I have a 2012 Flagstaff T12RB which has the rear bed and front dinette and have traveled with two medium size dogs and a kayak on the roof of the A Frame, is storage a problem yes sort off but when it really comes down to it most of us probably take way too much stuff with us. I’m a former tent camper still like it and will continue to tent camp occasionally. My reason for owning an A Frame is ease of set up I can relocate with less hassle than tearing down a tent site and setting back up at the end of a long day of traveling. The biggest lesson I learned from tent camping is to pack more conservatively. Do I really need a pair of pants for everyday of the week when I’m somewhere that has laundry facilities? Do I need every kitchen utensil under the sun? Even still on my last week long trip I don’t think I used half the stuff I dragged along, still learning I guess. Think we need to learn a lesson from those good old dogs of ours, give them a tennis ball a bowl of food, water, some good companions and a warm dry place to bed down at night and they’re happy. For storage I use a three tier wire shoe rack that sits on the counter over the stove and comes apart for travel a couple of duffle bags that fit under the bench seat in the dinette and there is storage under the bed a few plastic bins for cooking stuff and food and I’m a happy camper. Although some people may disagree with me I say purchase the screened shelter that fits these trailers. It does take some time to get the hang of it but I can put mine up by myself and I’m short, I bring along a foldable four foot aluminum ladder. The screened room gives you lots of extra space and protection from the weather a good place to dry out wet dogs. Ultimately it’s about what’s fun and comfortable for you, there are likely people with 30 foot trailers that are running out of room. Many people on the A Frame forum have great ideas for storage. As for me I love my A Frame you couldn’t buy it from me or trade me for any other rig and the dogs haven’t complained yet.
Cattledog:
I just read your post about storage and what is necessary to bring along and what is clutter. Very good advice for people who have never tent camped. It's the same at home. If you look around, whether at home or camping, and see something you haven't used in a while, do you need it on a camping trip? I too have tent camped for years and you quickly learn what to bring and what to leave at home. How many pots and pans are enough? So, if you have to use a pot that's bigger than the one you left at home, what's the big deal? And I agree with you on clothes. I used to pack so many clothes that when I got home, I was putting away shirts and shorts that I never wore. I think good common sense comes in real handy when it comes to packing a camper. Don't short yourself but by no means, over pack. The extra stuff will just get in your way. That is a really good post you made, especially for newbies.
Jim
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
Cattledog:
I just read your post about storage and what is necessary to bring along and what is clutter. Very good advice for people who have never tent camped. It's the same at home. If you look around, whether at home or camping, and see something you haven't used in a while, do you need it on a camping trip? I too have tent camped for years and you quickly learn what to bring and what to leave at home. How many pots and pans are enough? So, if you have to use a pot that's bigger than the one you left at home, what's the big deal? And I agree with you on clothes. I used to pack so many clothes that when I got home, I was putting away shirts and shorts that I never wore. I think good common sense comes in real handy when it comes to packing a camper. Don't short yourself but by no means, over pack. The extra stuff will just get in your way. That is a really good post you made, especially for newbies.
Jim

Thanks jjdcamper there’s one exception, socks. One can never bring too many socks.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #31

Where did the OP go? I wonder what she decided to do?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #32
Flagstaff 22FBS

Well, she said that she was shopping and did make just the one post. Could be she decided an Aframe might not have enough storage and was too small for herself, a bike and 2 labs too. Wonder if she bought a different Forest River product?

Eh well, it gave us 3 pages of posts full of great storage ideas and opinions from some very helpful folks.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #33

Sorry I disappeared

I stopped getting notifications about posts so I didn't know folks were posting. No -- I didn't give up. I'm picking up my A128S Monday so I will probably be badgering all of you with more questions soon.

Still not certain what to do about gray water, but think I will go with an economical solution and try it for a while and see what I think.

I plan to only have the A128S home for a week or two and then heading out for the first camping trip. Taking the dogs to the Outer Banks of North Carolina so they can swim in the ocean and I can check out lighthouses. I can't wait.

Right now my big worry is backing it into my garage when I get home. I haven't backed a trailer for years and don't want to do any damage. Wish me luck.

Thanks for all the responses!
wayfaringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #34

Bring on the questions and concerns. Happy Camping!!
2012 Rockwood A126
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringgirl View Post
Still not certain what to do about gray water, but think I will go with an economical solution and try it for a while and see what I think.
My prefered solution has the benefit of being both economical and easy.

7 gallon Aqua-tainers from Walmart

Reliance 9410-03 Aqua-Tainer 7 Gal: Tools : Walmart.com

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #36

^ same here. Buy 2, when 1 is half full swap out and empty.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #37

I'm getting to old to carry heavy containers. I use a HydroRoller from Walmart.

Reliance Products - Hydroller 8-Gallon Wheeled Water Container - Walmart.com

2014 Silverado Double Cab 1500 5.3L V8 w/3.42 Axle Ratio Tow Vehicle

Sold: 2012 Rockwood A122 Hardside Popup
daveinpickerington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #38

Those are great too. I know of some people that use them for fresh water in conjunction with a water transfer pump. You can also get a 4 gallon Aqua-tainer and use it to offload some of the water.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #39

I too purchased the screen room that attaches to my flagstaff as mentioned earlier in this thread...since my camper is still on the assembly line (I'm going a little crazy waiting for it!) I haven't seen the actual screen room. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it comes with privacy panels...or if it is simply a screen room...also...since it doesn't have a rain fly...I am concerned that it will leak a little in the rain. Anybody help me on how well they keep out the rain? And...if they don't have wall panels to close off the screen windows, has anyone added their own privacy panels to their screen room?
gdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenn View Post
I too purchased the screen room that attaches to my flagstaff as mentioned earlier in this thread...since my camper is still on the assembly line (I'm going a little crazy waiting for it!) I haven't seen the actual screen room. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it comes with privacy panels...or if it is simply a screen room...also...since it doesn't have a rain fly...I am concerned that it will leak a little in the rain. Anybody help me on how well they keep out the rain? And...if they don't have wall panels to close off the screen windows, has anyone added their own privacy panels to their screen room?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4223661446.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	28946

Here is the inside of the screen room. Where the little ties are hanging down is where the panels are. I have not been with it in a big down pour so I can not speak to that.
K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote