Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Shopping for A Frame -- questions

I'm shopping for an A frame by Forest River and haven't decided on a floorplan yet. I just joined the forum so I could get advice from people who have experience with these trailers.

My big concern is storage. I just read that a container for gray water will be needed which will take up storage room. I will be travelling with my two yellow labs (and yes I am a glutton for punishment) and want the most floor space available which looks like the A127TH. Not sure about the big front platform, but love the bed that's a couch during the day. It would be great to be able to carry a bicycle as well.

I will be pulling it with an Xterra and have limited storage room in the back because I need room for the dogs when we're on the road.

Any thoughts on storage from you who have already been using one? Do you feel like you have enough room for all the stuff you need on an extended trip?

Any other things to look for while shopping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you help.

wayfaringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher
Originally Posted by wayfaringgirl View Post
My big concern is storage.
And it should be as these trailers don't have much. I have a buddy with an A-frame and he has to set up a stack of storage boxes outside to hold all his stuff.
Better hit the RV shows and look at them up close.

Wright and Penny
Richmond, Va.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
A Frame storage space

I agree take a look at the A Frame models at a dealer or an RV show to see what best suits your needs. I have a 2012 Flagstaff T12RB which has the rear bed and front dinette and have traveled with two medium size dogs and a kayak on the roof of the A Frame, is storage a problem yes sort off but when it really comes down to it most of us probably take way too much stuff with us. I’m a former tent camper still like it and will continue to tent camp occasionally. My reason for owning an A Frame is ease of set up I can relocate with less hassle than tearing down a tent site and setting back up at the end of a long day of traveling. The biggest lesson I learned from tent camping is to pack more conservatively. Do I really need a pair of pants for everyday of the week when I’m somewhere that has laundry facilities? Do I need every kitchen utensil under the sun? Even still on my last week long trip I don’t think I used half the stuff I dragged along, still learning I guess. Think we need to learn a lesson from those good old dogs of ours, give them a tennis ball a bowl of food, water, some good companions and a warm dry place to bed down at night and they’re happy. For storage I use a three tier wire shoe rack that sits on the counter over the stove and comes apart for travel a couple of duffle bags that fit under the bench seat in the dinette and there is storage under the bed a few plastic bins for cooking stuff and food and I’m a happy camper. Although some people may disagree with me I say purchase the screened shelter that fits these trailers. It does take some time to get the hang of it but I can put mine up by myself and I’m short, I bring along a foldable four foot aluminum ladder. The screened room gives you lots of extra space and protection from the weather a good place to dry out wet dogs. Ultimately it’s about what’s fun and comfortable for you, there are likely people with 30 foot trailers that are running out of room. Many people on the A Frame forum have great ideas for storage. As for me I love my A Frame you couldn’t buy it from me or trade me for any other rig and the dogs haven’t complained yet.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
I have the Flagstaff model (T12SDTH) of the Rockwood you mention. I got it because it allows for more floor space as well as ability to carry "stuff" on the deck. I show dogs (bullmastiff) & use this to haul my equipment (crates, canopy, cooler, generator, chairs, etc). We also fish and gem so dirty tools and stuff can get transported on the deck. haha Plenty of room inside with the sofa bed. It is also the heaviest of all the A-Frames, and uses a Class IV just make sure your Xterra can handle the loaded weight....and after Awhile you'll learn what essentials you need versus what you brought (that you dont need or ever use) that just takes up precious space.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
I would agree with handbuilder. Your Xterra probably has a tongue weight limit of 500lbs. The A127TH comes in at 350 dry weight. So probably closer to 400lbs when all said in done (Never accurate on websites). Pack the trailer and you will be close if not over the limit of your Xterra. I would recommend going with the A122BH or A122S if you are concerned about storage. No point in having tons of room if your limit is the tongue weight on the Xterra.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Rockwood Premier A126
Handbuilder makes some valid points you should consider. I like the A122BH that "Rkuffler" referred to for you. IMO this floor plan makes more sense in your TV situation with a smaller front rack. Still useable open storage for a bike or "blue boy" tank, but not as much tongue weight. A problem you can get into with too much weight on the rear of your tow vehicle is the steering gets "squirrely" and difficult to control. Filled propane tanks on the front add to the weight as well.

The heated mattress on this unit might be a really nice feature that you (and your pups) may come to appreciate.

In our A126 we replaced the "sofa" pads with a foam mattress because the pads weren't that comfortable to sleep on. Also, we always left the bed made up while camping. It's a hassle taking off the bedding to make up the sofa. The A122BH has seating in the dinette area, so the sofa may not be as necessary.

Deb & Gary
2007 Ford E150 cargo van, 2012 Rockwood Premier A126

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
We have the A127TH and love it. The floor space when you put the bed into couch mode is great, but it's not very comfy for sleeping. We have purchased a 4 inch memory foam topper for it. It feels great but we have yet to try it out for a full night's sleep. I pull with a truck that has a fiberglass tonneau cover so storage has not been an issue. We've put stuff on the floor in the trailer (under the bed, under the table, or in the middle) while traveling. When set up we use (like Cattledog) a wire shelving unit above the stove to store the things we use and it works great! So far it's been the best thing we've added to it aside from the screen room. We purchased the screen room when we bought the camper and we fell in love with it the first time we used it. Unfortunately the bottom screen skirting needs modded for the 127TH because it sits up higher.

We have used the front deck to haul bicycles and plan to use it for some of our motorcycles in the near future. We also use the deck for seating and it works great. We have some tiki torches mounted to the deck and we get a lot of attention when we're sitting on it with torches lit

I have been looking at some waterproof containers to put on the deck to haul our camping stuff...mostly just to put everything in one place so all I have to do is grab it and throw it on the deck and I'm ready to roll. Plus it can handle rain so no worries there either. A container like that might work for you for extra storage.

Oh, going back to the couch/bed: somebody mentioned the pain of removing the bedding to use it as a couch...We found a great deal on a Travasak and it works great! It's all in one so you just roll it up like a sleeping bag and throw it in the truck if we need the space. I'll be able to put our 4 inch topper in the truck too if I need floor space for having people over or whatever.

Gosh all this talk about campers is driving me crazy. Must go camping soon!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
I have the A122BH and truly appreciate the storage on the front. Usually I just fill it with firewood (if I'm going to a place close enough to bring it) and a chest cooler of drinks. I got a separate bike rack so I wouldn't have to use the deck for bikes (ProRac Proformance Bike Rack | Tent Trailer Bike Rack |).

That said, I do wish I had been able to use the TH version of this camper. Having a bigger storage deck for stuff would be nice. Unfortunately, like your vehicle, I suspect i'd be exceeding the hitch limits if I had.
2012 Lincoln MKX
2013 Rockwood A122BH A-Frame
ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Thats the only thing I wish Forest River would include is a hitch on the back of the trailers. I would love to take my bikes, but I need a rack that has the full wheel clamps. Unfortunately my Kona Coilair Supreme has a 20mm thru axle on the front so the fork mount won't work. I have a hitch style platform rack which works awesome.

They finally released a roof rack for the 2013 Santa Fe's (With glass roof) so I may go with a roof rack and do it that way. Just sucks I sold my roof bike racks awhile ago.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #10
For gray water a 7 gallon tote from Walmart called Aquatanier works very well. I usually bring along two of them but in most cases one is enough. Storage in any camper has and always will be a problem, you just have to decide what you really need for a few days or so and take those items with you. Last year the DW and I went to the Grand Canyon for two weeks and spent 14 days living out of our A128S and we had everything we needed in 4 storage containers and two medium sized carry on bags for our clothes. In time it gets easier to decide what you need and what you don't need. Good Luck with your decision on the new camper.

2016 Forest River Surveyor 201RBS
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L
backpacker3 is offline   Reply With Quote