Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Shopping for A Frame -- questions

I'm shopping for an A frame by Forest River and haven't decided on a floorplan yet. I just joined the forum so I could get advice from people who have experience with these trailers.

My big concern is storage. I just read that a container for gray water will be needed which will take up storage room. I will be travelling with my two yellow labs (and yes I am a glutton for punishment) and want the most floor space available which looks like the A127TH. Not sure about the big front platform, but love the bed that's a couch during the day. It would be great to be able to carry a bicycle as well.

I will be pulling it with an Xterra and have limited storage room in the back because I need room for the dogs when we're on the road.

Any thoughts on storage from you who have already been using one? Do you feel like you have enough room for all the stuff you need on an extended trip?

Any other things to look for while shopping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you help.
wayfaringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringgirl View Post
My big concern is storage.
And it should be as these trailers don't have much. I have a buddy with an A-frame and he has to set up a stack of storage boxes outside to hold all his stuff.
Better hit the RV shows and look at them up close.

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

A Frame storage space

I agree take a look at the A Frame models at a dealer or an RV show to see what best suits your needs. I have a 2012 Flagstaff T12RB which has the rear bed and front dinette and have traveled with two medium size dogs and a kayak on the roof of the A Frame, is storage a problem yes sort off but when it really comes down to it most of us probably take way too much stuff with us. I’m a former tent camper still like it and will continue to tent camp occasionally. My reason for owning an A Frame is ease of set up I can relocate with less hassle than tearing down a tent site and setting back up at the end of a long day of traveling. The biggest lesson I learned from tent camping is to pack more conservatively. Do I really need a pair of pants for everyday of the week when I’m somewhere that has laundry facilities? Do I need every kitchen utensil under the sun? Even still on my last week long trip I don’t think I used half the stuff I dragged along, still learning I guess. Think we need to learn a lesson from those good old dogs of ours, give them a tennis ball a bowl of food, water, some good companions and a warm dry place to bed down at night and they’re happy. For storage I use a three tier wire shoe rack that sits on the counter over the stove and comes apart for travel a couple of duffle bags that fit under the bench seat in the dinette and there is storage under the bed a few plastic bins for cooking stuff and food and I’m a happy camper. Although some people may disagree with me I say purchase the screened shelter that fits these trailers. It does take some time to get the hang of it but I can put mine up by myself and I’m short, I bring along a foldable four foot aluminum ladder. The screened room gives you lots of extra space and protection from the weather a good place to dry out wet dogs. Ultimately it’s about what’s fun and comfortable for you, there are likely people with 30 foot trailers that are running out of room. Many people on the A Frame forum have great ideas for storage. As for me I love my A Frame you couldn’t buy it from me or trade me for any other rig and the dogs haven’t complained yet.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

I have the Flagstaff model (T12SDTH) of the Rockwood you mention. I got it because it allows for more floor space as well as ability to carry "stuff" on the deck. I show dogs (bullmastiff) & use this to haul my equipment (crates, canopy, cooler, generator, chairs, etc). We also fish and gem so dirty tools and stuff can get transported on the deck. haha Plenty of room inside with the sofa bed. It is also the heaviest of all the A-Frames, and uses a Class IV hitch...so just make sure your Xterra can handle the loaded weight....and after Awhile you'll learn what essentials you need versus what you brought (that you dont need or ever use) that just takes up precious space.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #5

I would agree with handbuilder. Your Xterra probably has a tongue weight limit of 500lbs. The A127TH comes in at 350 dry weight. So probably closer to 400lbs when all said in done (Never accurate on websites). Pack the trailer and you will be close if not over the limit of your Xterra. I would recommend going with the A122BH or A122S if you are concerned about storage. No point in having tons of room if your limit is the tongue weight on the Xterra.
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

Handbuilder makes some valid points you should consider. I like the A122BH that "Rkuffler" referred to for you. IMO this floor plan makes more sense in your TV situation with a smaller front rack. Still useable open storage for a bike or "blue boy" tank, but not as much tongue weight. A problem you can get into with too much weight on the rear of your tow vehicle is the steering gets "squirrely" and difficult to control. Filled propane tanks on the front add to the weight as well.

The heated mattress on this unit might be a really nice feature that you (and your pups) may come to appreciate.

In our A126 we replaced the "sofa" pads with a foam mattress because the pads weren't that comfortable to sleep on. Also, we always left the bed made up while camping. It's a hassle taking off the bedding to make up the sofa. The A122BH has seating in the dinette area, so the sofa may not be as necessary.

hth,
Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

We have the A127TH and love it. The floor space when you put the bed into couch mode is great, but it's not very comfy for sleeping. We have purchased a 4 inch memory foam topper for it. It feels great but we have yet to try it out for a full night's sleep. I pull with a truck that has a fiberglass tonneau cover so storage has not been an issue. We've put stuff on the floor in the trailer (under the bed, under the table, or in the middle) while traveling. When set up we use (like Cattledog) a wire shelving unit above the stove to store the things we use and it works great! So far it's been the best thing we've added to it aside from the screen room. We purchased the screen room when we bought the camper and we fell in love with it the first time we used it. Unfortunately the bottom screen skirting needs modded for the 127TH because it sits up higher.

We have used the front deck to haul bicycles and plan to use it for some of our motorcycles in the near future. We also use the deck for seating and it works great. We have some tiki torches mounted to the deck and we get a lot of attention when we're sitting on it with torches lit

I have been looking at some waterproof containers to put on the deck to haul our camping stuff...mostly just to put everything in one place so all I have to do is grab it and throw it on the deck and I'm ready to roll. Plus it can handle rain so no worries there either. A container like that might work for you for extra storage.

Oh, going back to the couch/bed: somebody mentioned the pain of removing the bedding to use it as a couch...We found a great deal on a Travasak and it works great! It's all in one so you just roll it up like a sleeping bag and throw it in the truck if we need the space. I'll be able to put our 4 inch topper in the truck too if I need floor space for having people over or whatever.

Gosh all this talk about campers is driving me crazy. Must go camping soon!
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #8

I have the A122BH and truly appreciate the storage on the front. Usually I just fill it with firewood (if I'm going to a place close enough to bring it) and a chest cooler of drinks. I got a separate bike rack so I wouldn't have to use the deck for bikes (ProRac Proformance Bike Rack | Tent Trailer Bike Rack |).

That said, I do wish I had been able to use the TH version of this camper. Having a bigger storage deck for stuff would be nice. Unfortunately, like your vehicle, I suspect i'd be exceeding the hitch limits if I had.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

Thats the only thing I wish Forest River would include is a hitch on the back of the trailers. I would love to take my bikes, but I need a rack that has the full wheel clamps. Unfortunately my Kona Coilair Supreme has a 20mm thru axle on the front so the fork mount won't work. I have a hitch style platform rack which works awesome.

They finally released a roof rack for the 2013 Santa Fe's (With glass roof) so I may go with a roof rack and do it that way. Just sucks I sold my roof bike racks awhile ago.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #10

For gray water a 7 gallon tote from Walmart called Aquatanier works very well. I usually bring along two of them but in most cases one is enough. Storage in any camper has and always will be a problem, you just have to decide what you really need for a few days or so and take those items with you. Last year the DW and I went to the Grand Canyon for two weeks and spent 14 days living out of our A128S and we had everything we needed in 4 storage containers and two medium sized carry on bags for our clothes. In time it gets easier to decide what you need and what you don't need. Good Luck with your decision on the new camper.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

We use a blue Aquatainer for general purpose water needs & bring along a case of Costco brand bottled water for our drinking and cooking needs. An extra (empty) 5 gallon bucket is always useful to throw odds and ends stuff in and uaeful if needing a place to drain sink water.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Flagstaff 22FBS

Like most everyone else, we don't travel with our Aframe's fresh water tank full. We fill at the campground before going to the campsite or use the city water hookup if available on the campsite. We take a milk jug (or two) of tap water from home for coffee and bottled water for drinking. Thing is, we have the luxury of space in our tow vehicle for stuff like that. It seems like wayfaringgirl is limited in that area.

I wonder what she is thinking about all this...she's been kind of quiet.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #13

Wayfaringgirl, hope we didnt scare you away from the thought of getting an A-Frame? The bike hauler model might be a perfect fit for you & your pups! Floor space is great in the toyhauler but also consider how much time you'd actually be inside it...I use mine to haul all my stuff to my destination, then set everything outside, under a portable canopy. At the shows, I usually have a friend who bunks with me & she sets up her own canopy with her equipment under it. When my spouse and I use it, we have more space indoor since we use the same bed & we're inside only if weather and sleep force us indoors. LOL The dogs stay outside in their crates...they like to see whats going on which is better for us since they are so big. Our canopy has zippered sides so they are enclosed when its bed time. I face the opening to the doorside of my trailer so I can see & talk to them thru the window.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuffler View Post
Thats the only thing I wish Forest River would include is a hitch on the back of the trailers. I would love to take my bikes, but I need a rack that has the full wheel clamps. Unfortunately my Kona Coilair Supreme has a 20mm thru axle on the front so the fork mount won't work. I have a hitch style platform rack which works awesome.

They finally released a roof rack for the 2013 Santa Fe's (With glass roof) so I may go with a roof rack and do it that way. Just sucks I sold my roof bike racks awhile ago.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3908442157.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	24931
Check this bike rack I got http://www.support-rack.com/wsf/produits/
Since the tongue weight is close to my limit of 350 pounds(front storage box adds a lot of weight), I take out the propane tanks during the trip. This will be way easier to load your bikes then putting them on your roof. Bike rack on the rear is not recommended by FR.

The bike rack is a 2" receiver so your hitch bike rack could be used here. It was too big for my bike rack so I got a receiver adaptor to make it smaller.

BTW I am considering the Sante Fe for my next TV, please let us know how the mileage is when towing. Is it true the 4cyl Turbo AWD model is good for towing?
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #15

Actually I am picking up my A122S on Tuesday morning. Only took a month for it to come in. But ya I have the 2.0T AWD. I think it will be decent for towing. Has tons of power and torque but I guess we will see.

Speaking of tongue weight have you measured your tongue weight without the propane tanks on? I am guessing with the tanks it will be around 311lbs. Just wondering what it is with the bike rack and bikes.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuffler View Post
Speaking of tongue weight have you measured your tongue weight without the propane tanks on? I am guessing with the tanks it will be around 311lbs. Just wondering what it is with the bike rack and bikes.
I was surprise to get over 400 lbs tongue weight after getting my A128S from the dealer(2 full tanks on). Check out my thread, it contains information about this and more, post #38 of this page:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post242079
With the 2 bikes on and putting heavy stuff in the rear of the trailer(including the 2 tanks), my tongue weight was 370 lbs on my trips. I'll try to do better next time. It actually goes down to 340 lbs when the water tank is full. Approx 20 lbs for the rack + 60 lbs for 2 bikes. Empty propane tanks is 18 lbs so 2 full tanks is over 70 lbs.

Since your Aframe has the front storage too, you may have the same issues I'm having. Did you get a 2" receiver(I don't)? Consider a WD if sagging becomes an issue for you. Also measure how much your front tire wells raises after hitching, less than half an inch is ok.

Enjoy your new Aframe, and post pics too
Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
I was surprise to get over 400 lbs tongue weight after getting my A128S from the dealer(2 full tanks on). Check out my thread, it contains information about this and more, post #38 of this page:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post242079
With the 2 bikes on and putting heavy stuff in the rear of the trailer(including the 2 tanks), my tongue weight was 370 lbs on my trips. I'll try to do better next time. It actually goes down to 340 lbs when the water tank is full. Approx 20 lbs for the rack + 60 lbs for 2 bikes. Empty propane tanks is 18 lbs so 2 full tanks is over 70 lbs.

Since your Aframe has the front storage too, you may have the same issues I'm having. Did you get a 2" receiver(I don't)? Consider a WD if sagging becomes an issue for you. Also measure how much your front tire wells raises after hitching, less than half an inch is ok.

Enjoy your new Aframe, and post pics too

I do have a 2" receiver, unfortunately when I bought my hitch they only had the Curt hitch which was non WD. They do have WD hitches out now but I am a little worried about using it on a unibody frame.

To help my suspension I did put Firestone air helper bags in and the WirelessOne remote air compressor system. Obviously this won't help with putting weight back on the front tires but it will help me from not bottoming out and killing my suspension.

When I receive it I will weigh it with the Sherline tongue jack scale and post what the weights are. I have a feeling I will be doing the weight shuffle to try to get it down near the 350# mark.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #18

http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/5780.html, how much did you get it and where? I got a $20 spring scale max load is 400 lbs and did this to get my reading: Click image for larger version

Name:	image-401035069.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	25016

I am hoping that someone could tell us that the way I get my readings is +/- lbs off the real tongue weight because of the location of the scale.

I am very interested on your reading. I made sure that the trailer is level when I got the scale reading.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #19

From Atlas Machinery Supply in Toronto for $146 Canadian. Was cheaper to get it shipped from there to Calgary then to pay for it from esupply and pay brokerage and customs. Plus I ordered a battery for my Makita drills while I was at it lol.

This is how they say to measure tongue weight with a scale but... Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale. Obviously that doesn't answer your question but I would imagine +- 1%. The jack is fairly far forward so it should be fairly close.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #20

I am an owner of another brand of A frame trailer. I have about 3 weeks of camping in it since getting it last September. I travel with my faithful lab.

My trailer came with a twin size "bunk bed" set up in the front. Since the bottom bunk was just cushions thrown on the floor, it was easy to take those out and put a lab sized dog bed down there instead. Two labs could fit under there easily. Instead, I keep a large plastic container of kitchen stuff down there and the folding step stool that I need to reach the ceiling vents.

My trailer has a factory built plastic bin on the front. It holds quite a bit of stuff and I've never had it stuffed full.

My gray water drains in to a small, two gallon container. It is easier to empty a small container more frequently than lugging a bigger, heavy one for me. My trailer, which I got used, came with a contraption that I should try out. A hose that hooks to the drain and then hooks up to a collapsable container. It is supposed to not overflow, if that is a concern.

I took out the dinette table. It was heavy and just didn't fit well. I substituted a smaller fold up table for that. I sleep on the upper "bunk" so don't need to convert the dinette into a bed. I've even set up a comfy lawn chair in that space when the weather was bad. I have a smaller plastic bin for towels, and clothes travel in a duffel bag.

That's it. The last trip was 8 days and different climates so a lot of clothing was needed. I'm also switching to using a sleeping bag instead of regular bedding. My lab has adapted well and settles right down in his cozy den.

Good luck.
Slowp is offline   Reply With Quote