Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #1

Shower tents/Generator usage at campgrounds

As I was looking over a couple different threads I noticed some folks discussing their shower tents since our rigs generally come with outdoor showers. What's the rule of thumb when it comes to campgrounds allowing the use of these showers? How tough are the restrictions on these types of set ups at campgrounds? Don't they frown on the "grey" water from the shower, or do most places kind of ignore it? Also...I was thinking that if I did one of those set ups, do you use some kind of a rubber or plastic raised mat or something so that you don't end up standing in a mud puddle? I'm a newbie to the outdoor shower idea...makes sense to me...but are you able to use them in most campgrounds?
ALSO related to campground regulations...I am noticing as I am surfing around looking for campgrounds...that some will not allow generators...is this also typical. Are you pretty much limited to the rustic campgrounds for generator use and outdoor showers (BLM or remote state parks, etc)? Thanks for any insight you can provide on the use of these items!
gdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

at least in California, most state campgrounds allow for generators, since less than 1% of their campsites have any hookups.
so, since 99%+ campsites have no electric, they have to allow generators.
but all campgrounds that allow generators, that i've heard of, have hours of operation. usually 10am-8 or 10pm.

really depends on where you're talking about. at Colter Bay's Campground, in Wyoming, they have generator loops and non-generator loops.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

When I think of outdoor showers and generators I'm thinking of dry camping. We use our outdoor shower primarily to rinse off sand from the beach, or the like. I appreciate the idea of generator usage being restricted in a park at night. It would be miserable to be beside a loud one all night.

Side note to the outdoor shower ~ why are they usually located in the back of the unit where your feet get dirty again getting to the front of the camper......
Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
Side note to the outdoor shower ~ why are they usually located in the back of the unit where your feet get dirty again getting to the front of the camper......
Probably because the people that design campers don't camp .

Only time we use the outside shower is to rinse the dog off after using the doggie beach.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Flagstaff 22FBS

Originally Posted by clancythecamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Probably because the people that design campers don't camp .

Only time we use the outside shower is to rinse the dog off after using the doggie beach.
I imagine it's more economical (read: profit potential) for builders to have shorter plumbing runs.

Because of the potential for creating a mud puddle in the "lounge" area, there is a sort of reasoning for the driver side placement I guess. At the rear of the camper seems like a more user friendly location to me, but what do I know, I'm just the consumer....

It is not my intention to tick anyone off and I've been trying to hold off posting about it, but... generators are loud, pollution creating and stinky. I'm sure that they are necessary in some instances. The generator loop and non-generator loop is a good idea and with limiting run time seems reasonable.

As an adult, I've not camped in CA and wasn't aware of the shortage of "electric" sites in state parks there. Bummer...hopefully there are private owned and franchise campgrounds in CA with hookups?

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #6

By definition (from Wikipedia) grey water is: "In a household context, greywater is the leftover water from baths, showers, hand basins and washing machines only. Some definitions of greywater include water from the kitchen sink. Any water containing human fecal waste is considered black water."

So technically your outside shower could be considered grey water. Some members on here will consider it grey water, others will not. I don't think any CG staff would give a hard time, but you never know. I've never experienced any problems using the outside shower. If you're really worried ask the CG staff.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
As an adult, I've not camped in CA and wasn't aware of the shortage of "electric" sites in state parks there. Bummer...hopefully there are private owned and franchise campgrounds in CA with hookups?

Deb
most private campgrounds are parking lots, as are franchise campgrounds.
we would never camp in a KOA or similar campground, even for hookups.

we prefer a more natural setting and most private campgrounds in California don't have that.
we only use our generator for a couple of hours, every third or fourth day.
we don't like the noise from generators either so we keep usage down to a minimum. only to recharge the two batteries.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
most private campgrounds are parking lots, as are franchise campgrounds.
we would never camp in a KOA or similar campground, even for hookups.
OK yes I see. Unless it's a quick overnight while on the road, those types are undesirable for camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we prefer a more natural setting and most private campgrounds in California don't have that.
we only use our generator for a couple of hours, every third or fourth day.
we don't like the noise from generators either so we keep usage down to a minimum. only to recharge the two batteries.
Sure, temporary use for charging batteries would be necessary. I understand and can go along with that.

But, regarding the OP's question concerning gennies, some people just don't use any sense operating their generators.

It's those that let the thing hammer all day while they are off touring, hiking or what ever, and at night that I have a problem with.

Cuts into other folks outdoor experience. I feel sure this why generators are restricted/prohibited in some campgrounds.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Flagstaff 625D Popup

I have found that generators are like lawyers...
Everyone hates them, until YOU need one.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Flagstaff 22FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
I have found that generators are like lawyers...
Everyone hates them, until YOU need one.

Bean
Oh, I don't hate generators, please don't take me wrong here. We have one that powers our home during occasional outages and I'm in love with it.

There is a time and place for use and most campers with generators are courteous in using them.

Then there are others that just seem to be oblivious of the affect they are posing on other campers.

Deb

Old 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #11

We had a person at the campground last year. They had a motor home with 2 AC units. They left for the day with both units on. They were hooked up to a 30 amp service. Their MH had an auto start genny which was coming on and off all day. I do not mind if you have to use a genny in a power failure but if you are not in the unit why make someone listen to your unit running all day long.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
Then there are others that just seem to be oblivious of the affect they are posing on other campers.

Deb
this is true for many things, other than just generators.

loud music past 10pm, outside speakers turned up for the whole campground to hear, dogs left alone and barking all day or nite, late nite drinking rowdiness, diesel engines running early in the morning for extended times, walking thru your campground without asking, bright outside lights left on overnight, etc......
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
MI Camperz

We don't have a generator. I would miss my annual power outage if we did. Love roughing it with candles and lanterns and books and board games to pass the time. I'll never forget "the big one" when you couldn't even get gas for several days. It was peaceful being grounded for awhile. Just blabbing. Don't mind me.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #14

Our camper has a shower hook-up near the water heater and also a "spray port" near the entry door with a cold water connection, however we have never used either one but sure seems like a nice thing to have.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
We don't have a generator. I would miss my annual power outage if we did. Love roughing it with candles and lanterns and books and board games to pass the time. I'll never forget "the big one" when you couldn't even get gas for several days. It was peaceful being grounded for awhile. Just blabbing. Don't mind me.
We had a blast after "the big one" knocked out our power. Cooking out and playing cards by lantern light. It was like when I was a kid and we had to entertain ourselves by doing things together.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #16

The line grey water seems to be is if the water is caught in a container. You can wash dishes at camp and disperse the water, but if you drain the same water from a camp sink onto the ground it might become a grey water. I hate getting to a site where the previous user has left a big wet spot with food bits on the ground around the living parts of the site.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #17

thanks

this discussion thread goes a long way to helping me understand both the outdoor shower and the genny issue...seems to confirm my thought that common sense should prevail...only use the genny when necessary...only during the day...and where allowed by the CG...use the shower sparingly...and from looking at a few pics...it looks like I will set up set back as far as the shower hose will reach...and will use some kind of thick mat that keeps me off the ground. Thanks to all who weighed in...simple respect of others when it comes to the noise and the water mess...don't impose either on others?
gdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenn View Post
simple respect of others when it comes to the noise and the water mess...don't impose either on others?
That is well put.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #19

I was at a blue grass festival and some of the jammers were becoming upset about a generator on a large motorhome running all day.

Turned out there was a handicapped person inside that needed the power to be on, while her husband took part in the festival.

The folks jamming near it could easily have moved to a different spot.
Slowp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
Flagstaff 22FBS

Yes for sure, you never know when there are exigent circumstances. Rather than assuming the worse of others and getting irritated, let's first ask some questions.

Festival organizers or campground staff should be available to "put out the fires" (as Gary and I say) answering questions and finding solutions as issues arise.

With many situations, depending on which side you're looking at, there are different perspectives and circumstances:
Would it have been possible for the MH to have parked a little more away from the center of festivities? Could the jammers have moved the gathering a few sites over?

The take away is that we share this planet with folks in a wide variety of situations. Let's each try to think through the impact we have on our surroundings and be courteous of others while we go about our lives, so that everyone has fun.

Deb