Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

One might consider using the Aerospace Protectant 303 on these types of sky lights as it will also prevent discoloring and maybe prevent the cracking. Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The factory will build a camper without the windows. You just need to find a dealer who will process the order. My 2012 A122 had the windows and I never understood the need for them. My 2016 A122 SXR has no bubble windows and I have no regrets.

Nice.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used hardside????

Old 11-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

We do like the bubble windows, and probably would not have bought an A-frame without. We have always been pop-up and tent campers before. The canvas side PUPs had enough windows that it wasn't much different from being in a nice tent.

Our last purchase was a choice between a PUP and the A-frame. Even with the bubble windows in the A-frame, the PUP had more of a "being in the outdoors" feel, and it had more interior space. But for weekend camping, the ease of setup and tear-down of the A-frame won out. The bubble windows gave us the necessary headroom in the dinette to wait out rainstorms, the headroom to make the full-size bed practical for the 2 of us to share, and the extra light and visibility inside that most hard side trailers do not have.

We have had no leak problems so far. But our unit spends its non-camping time protected in the garage, away from the extra UV of the Colorado sun and the grit blown by Colorado winds.

If we ever do start leaking, I imagine I will have to go down the replace (if necessary)/recaulk/tape repair.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

If u have problems with leaking u need to use that sealant tape,3m or something like that. I had many leaks on a replaced bubble window. Nothing worked until the tape.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #15

I have a t12 bought Dec this year, and just got back from our sixth camping trip. Total miles travelled about 3000 with about 300 of those on gravel/dirt roads. So far, no leaks. I do have a roll of 3m tape in the camper though.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
We have had no leak problems so far. But our unit spends its non-camping time protected in the garage, away from the extra UV of the Colorado sun and the grit blown by Colorado winds.

If we ever do start leaking, I imagine I will have to go down the replace (if necessary)/recaulk/tape repair.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
You raise an interesting point, Fred. Knock on wood, we haven't had any leak issues with our skylights. We keep ours stored under a carport, and also cover it with a breathable cover. The only times it's exposed to the sun and the elements is when it's out camping, and it gets a wash with Maguire's wash/wax after each trip...before being parked back under the carport and covered.

It makes me wonder, of you folks who are unfortunately having skylight leak issues, how many are in some form of covered storage?

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

no leaks, stored in garage.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #18

My 3m tape has now receeded from the window afer 2 years since the replacement/Repair was completed...im not impressesed with this product as it does shrink after time ...a bead of caulking has fixed the issue for now... but in the spring i will run a strip of externa bond along the top side of the window....
Old 12-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post

It makes me wonder, of you folks who are unfortunately having skylight leak issues, how many are in some form of covered storage?
I don't doubt that exposure plays a part. My T12 sat outside in dealer inventory for almost a year, and now stays in an open storage area here in Florida. I would expect some expansion differential between the white roof and the dark skylight/black caulk in hot sun. My unit has been at the dealer for a month now waiting on a replacement skylight that is back-ordered.

Hopefully the replacement is better quality.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #20
Retread Popup Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Hopefully the replacement is better quality.
I hope it all works out for you.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light