Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #1

Skylights cracking

Hello all,

We've owned our 122A for about three years now. Recently, during some heavy rains we've noticed our skylights are leaking. Since we live in AZ and have put on some hard miles, I assumed it was the caulking giving way so I purchased a roll of 3M Extreme tape and did the standard repair job as described here on the forums. This fixed one skylight but the other had a significant amount of water still coming through. Upon closer examination I discovered a large crack in one of the corners near the bubble. Upon even further examination I discovered all three skylights have the same cracks forming in the same place.

Does this happen a lot?

Given the damage, I'm sure I'll have to replace them or is there some way to repair them.

Thanks in advance,

Tad

Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #2

One of my small skylights cracked recently in the exterior lower right corner. Efforts to repair the one inch crack didn't work. I had to replace it. The new skylight cost about $150 and the labor to install was about $125. I have no idea what caused the crack.

dmtex

Old 11-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Been There---Still There

Tad, I went thru this all last summer. Didn't have the camper from June to the end of August while at the dealer waiting for replacement parts and directions from FR. All skylights had been replaced. Went out camping in September for a total of five nights and really enjoyed our repaired camper. And then.....after some heavy rains at home, while the camper was in the closed position, the same problems returned. The camper has been returned to the dealer again and arrangements have been made to return it to the factory. It never leaked while up, only in the closed position. Originally, they found a crack in one skylight near the bend where it attaches to the roof.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #4

My T12 (same as the A122) started leaking at the big skylight after 2000 miles of travel. I covered the whole area with saran wrap secured with black vinyl electrical tape, and there was no leakage in very heavy rain after that. This confirmed that the water was not coming through the roof structure. When I got back home (another 2000 miles) both of the smaller skylights were also leaking. I have an appointment at the dealer in a week, so we will see what they say. I bought the trailer in June of this year, and it was sitting in dealer inventory for about 10 months.

I love the camper so far, but this may end up turning me sour if it repeats when out of warranty. Personally, I think the skylights are not necessary with all the side glass.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
My T12 (same as the A122) started leaking at the big skylight after 2000 miles of travel. I covered the whole area with saran wrap secured with black vinyl electrical tape, and there was no leakage in very heavy rain after that. This confirmed that the water was not coming through the roof structure. When I got back home (another 2000 miles) both of the smaller skylights were also leaking. I have an appointment at the dealer in a week, so we will see what they say. I bought the trailer in June of this year, and it was sitting in dealer inventory for about 10 months.

I love the camper so far, but this may end up turning me sour if it repeats when out of warranty. Personally, I think the skylights are not necessary with all the side glass.
You may have to just make alum panels and replace them if the new ones don't last and start leaking.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Personally, I think the skylights are not necessary with all the side glass.
The primary reason for the skylights is to provide headroom for seating. Thus the two in front for the two benches and the long one in back for models with the back dinette or sofa. If problems arise on mine, I'd certainly look for a polycarbonate replacement for the cheaper OEM acrylic windows.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
The primary reason for the skylights is to provide headroom for seating. Thus the two in front for the two benches and the long one in back for models with the back dinette or sofa.
I am sure that is the reasoning but not sure it is true. Half the time we have the pull down shades down and do not feel the need for the head room the bubble windows give.
If I was to order a new trailer I would not have the big window over the bed put in. The little square ones we use for light.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
If I was to order a new trailer I would not have the big window over the bed put in.
Me to. In fact if I were ordering today, I'd get a high wall with no skylights at all.

I think that without the roof lights, the head clearance on the low walls would be insufficient for the manufacturer to legitimately claim to have seating for four in the front dinette. Since I find the benches uncomfortable, rarely eat inside anyway and don't care to sleep four, a seating arrangement for two with increased storage would be OK with me. Now I only need to get FR marketing to think this is a good idea....... instead of uniformly maximizing the spec sheet numbers.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM   #9

If I had a choice. . I would opt to not have the bubble windows. I have the shades pulled down most all the time. Never miss the view out the bubble windows. Anytime you cut a hole in the camper it's gonna leak. Less holes, less leaks.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

The factory will build a camper without the windows. You just need to find a dealer who will process the order. My 2012 A122 had the windows and I never understood the need for them. My 2016 A122 SXR has no bubble windows and I have no regrets.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light